Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Cool thread. My grandmother was an avid birder and travelled with her sisters all over the US to see birds. She had the exact date of the first time she saw every species (except local birds; "Northern Cardinal: father's farm approx. 1934") and the checklist in her field guide was almost complete. I'm more casual about it. I do a lot of mountain biking so I like to ride deep into forest, find a rock to sit on, and watch with my binoculars. Recently I've been fortunate to see common terns diving for fish in a small pond, a green heron taking frogs, and loads of pileated woodpeckers mostly chilling around their tree holes. I heard a bunch of owls on my last time out but couldn't locate them.

I'm envious of a lot of pictures you guys are getting in here. I need to get a nicer camera and a big lens.

Can we talk about feeding in this thread too or is it just for identifying?

Edit: lovely grammar

FingersMaloy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FingersMaloy
Dec 23, 2004

Fuck! That's Delicious.
Hey thread. I've been seeing a lot of injured great blue herons in my city's bird sanctuary. Is it common for herons to have wounds on their neck? I sighted one two weeks ago with a huge bleeding wound right below its head. Today I saw one with a less severe wound in the same area. I really hope it was the same bird getting better. I got close to another heron with a really badly fractured leg. I doubt he has many days left. :(