Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
My kids are fans of Jack Black (his more kid friendly stuff, anyway), and they absolutely love The Big Year. I'm actually kind of disappointed that you guys don't look too favorably on it. They've been asking and asking to try birding, so we're going in the morning. I bought the Audubon Society Field Guide last night to take along with us. Unfortunately, we couldn't afford binoculars. maybe if it goes well we can invest in a decent pair. The local state park (Kennesaw Mountain in GA) is supposed to be a great spot, so that's where we're headed.

Great thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Back from our first birding trip. It didn't start well. The internet guide said to stick to the main road. We saw about 2 birds in half an hour. A robin and a something.

So we hopped of the road and went on the forest trail. Almost immediately the kids started spotting stuff! We saw a pair of cardinals. A pair (I think, one was gray and one was blue) jays, maybe a swift? Some type of sparrow that we aren't good enough to identify. Also we saw a warbler. The general consensus is that it was a cerulean warbler, but it may have been a different kind. Some tufted titmice. I am not sure if I am supposed to capitalize birds or not. Is it jay, or Jay?

Everyone had a great time. I am setting up a bird feeder with black sunflower seeds, and another with mealworms (what we feed our lizard, we have like 2,000 of them) right now. We bought a lovely pair of binoculars for 20 bucks on the way home. Even they are a huge improvement over nothing, though. My son is stalking through the woods with them right now. The Great White Hunter.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 29, 2013