Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Does that look like a yellow-rumped warbler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Thanks! And this is in Jersey so the eastern form makes sense.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
These are from last week in San Francisco, and I'm not sure about ID.

The side of his head looks like a Brewer's sparrow, but the crown is too dark and not striped enough. Also, Brewer's sparrows are supposed to be rare in SF. Every other sparrow I see in the books (Sibley, Kaufman, iBird) has more distinct markings on his cheeks. Am I just looking at the dreaded female house sparrow, or maybe a really washed-out white-throated? They were feeding under some eucalyptus tree.

This guy got my hopes up that he may not be a red-tailed hawk since I can't make out a red tail, or the typical chest band. Looking at the books though, he's big, but he lacks the "mask" of a peregrine. Also, the solid patch on his chest does say red-tail to me. Is this just a juvenile red-tail after all?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Thanks guys. Seeing the wide variety of Swainson's Hawk plumages this may be a possibility although most of them seem to have a distinct v-shaped darker bib and this bird doesn't. Also, ebird's bar charts call overwhelming odds for RTHA, so I still have to lean that way.

Thanks for the sparrows as well. It's still hard to recognize as white-crowned, but maybe it's what Sibley calls "first winter".

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

razz posted:

Did you happen to get a look at the band on its leg?

I have like 50 pictures of this guy, but all are too fuzzy to make out anything on his band, sadly.

And I'm itching to ebird the white-crowned sparrow but I don't want to be a streaker, or whatever it's called when you just call a bird because you want it to be that. Stringer?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Yes, "stringer." There's a decent blog post on the term here. I live a county over from what I suspect is the best known stringer in North America. He has never seen a accipiter that isn't a Northern Goshawk. This would be bad enough, but he spends his free time going around and posting comments on such bullshit ID's.

Yeah, that's where I saw that term first. Curiously Don just yesterday had something to say about juvenile red-tailed hawks, which goes along with the hawk ID above.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Knockknees posted:

I'm confused, the blog linked in the post before you described Red Tails as having wings which pretty much reach the end of the tail.

The distinction is probably in the "pretty much." Looking at various images of Swainson's (eg on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swainson%27s_Hawk ) their primaries project just a little bit further.

Now the Swainson's hawk will probably be my nemesis bird thanks a lot jerks.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
I can't possibly admit to reading the pyf meme thread, so I have to vent my frustration here:

The "Retail Robin"

is not a robin! How could anyone mistake sialia sialis for turdus migratorius? :supaburn:

As apology for the meme, have a RTHA leaving last weekend's Phillies game:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Kenshin posted:

If portability isn't as much of a concern you might look into spotting scopes as well.

Speaking of which -- what do people use for tripods? On one hand the selection on amazon is positively overwhelming, on the other hand the only place I found locally that sells any is an Audubon outpost that has the choice of $300 w/o head, or $700 w/o head. For a meager Alpen scope I had hoped to get away with something in the $150 range plus maybe a $70 head. Any practical recommendation would go a long way.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Eagle optics and Craigslist are good suggestions, thanks. It looks like it'll be a while before I get a tripod unless I see an incredible deal on CL. Would be nice if there was an easy way to find a tripod with particular specs: 66 in max. height, < 4.5 lbs, twist leg locks, otherwise no gimmicks (eg no tilting center column, no multiple leg angles). Sifting through catalogs will take forever. Apreciate the suggestions all the same.

ETA - I have the Monarch 7 8x42, and would buy them again if lost.

Lawson fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jul 9, 2015

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

BetterLekNextTime posted:

B&H has pretty good sort features- might help you narrow down your potential tripod choices.

Excellent, didn't know of this place. Thanks!

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

ExecuDork posted:

Get a feeder. It's cheap entertainment.

truth

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Depending on your own social inclinations, there is also always inaturalist.org where people will trip over themselves to identify any blurry bird picture with minimal socializing. Plants and bugs and other things too, but birds get instant attention.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

BetterLekNextTime posted:

field of view (the second number in the 6.5x21).

that's the lens diameter, which you can use to compare field of view only for the same magnification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
sounds like a squirrel