Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Numlock posted:

Seriously though, I hope the Big XII kept their receipt for TCU.

Eh, we kinda needed a team from Texas and they were easily the most promising program. They can probably get good again. Maybe not great, but good.

I've heard some claims that they have trouble drumming up respectable attendance, but the same was true of Baylor until like last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Numlock posted:

Hell if certain rumors are true they got in because Dodds was drunk when decision time came.

When I read that story I took it to mean that the B12 ADs had already decided to go with TCU by the time the TCU guy showed up to pitch to Dodds (the day before the official vote). Rather than sit around listening to a pointless sales pitch, Deloss told the dude not to bother and took him to a bar.

kayakyakr posted:

We most certainly did not need another team from Texas. DFW was already a solid market for UT and TTU. Houston would have been a better team because at least they would have brought more Houston viewership. TCU was wholly because UT wanted another team that would do whatever UT wanted.

That and they wanted a replacement for A&M in as many categories as possible. An in-state team means the travel budget/logistics didn't change as much, and I think it was aimed at maintaining a dynamic where the B12 should always feature at least a couple major matchups between teams from within the state of Texas. Prior to A&M's departure I loved that bragging rights to Texas were basically always on the line in the B12. I felt so robbed when we didn't get to see A&M vs Baylor to settle the issue last year.

• Locked thread