Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Do you have a 10-2 TTU team in the Big XII #4 bowl? That seems... odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Mukaikubo posted:

Yeah, but I figured bowls would sooner chase the BIG NAMES BIG BUCKS and so had Oklahoma and Texas going to better bowls with worse records.

Hasn't really happened in the Big XII much. The 4-8 bowls trade around some (WVU went to the pinstripe last year because they were the closest team), but the top 3 (and a lot of times the top 5) usually take teams in order.

Though if your predictor thinks that UT's going to lose only the one game against Baylor, then it's possible they head to the Cotton. Hilarious, but possible

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

regulargonzalez posted:

Kansas St got screwed two years in a row iirc, bumped from bowl #2 to like #4. Although I think the first time it happened, it resulted in the BCS instituting a new rule.
I don't remember the exact circumstances because my memory is abysmal.

I was trying to find out where you were talking about so I went through their bowls:

'12 went to the fiesta
'11 went to the cotton
'10 went to the pinstripe (at 7-6)
'06 went to the texas (at 7-6)
'03 went to the fiesta (conf champions)
'02 went to the holiday (tied for 2nd with 2 other teams, lowest rank)
'01 went to the insight (at 6-6)
'00 went to the cotton (at 11-3)

Here's where you were thinking:
'99 went to the Holiday (#3) at (11-1). They were left out of the cotton to a Texas team that lost the Big XII championship.
'98 went to the Alamo (#4) at 11-2. This is the game that caused the BCS to institute the Kansas State rule that says that the #3 or #4 teams are automatically in.

Dunno if the cotton or the alamo has taken more than 1 outside their standing since.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
your poll really liked TCU...

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

wa27 posted:

Woah! I just found a bug in my poll. Apparently Vegasinsider uses "pk" instead of 0 for an even matchup. I missed this for the past three years, so games that should have been even got practically random values assigned for their point spreads. I'm not sure how I didn't notice this before, especially in previous years when I spent a lot of time looking at the results. Thankfully Vegasinsider still has data for the past few years on their site.

I've updated my last post with the actual final poll. Although I based my initial values off last year's final values, so changes I make to 2011's data might have a minor impact on 2013's results. :stonk:

Your poll still really, really likes TCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Thermos H Christ posted:

Eh, we kinda needed a team from Texas and they were easily the most promising program. They can probably get good again. Maybe not great, but good.

I've heard some claims that they have trouble drumming up respectable attendance, but the same was true of Baylor until like last year.

We most certainly did not need another team from Texas. DFW was already a solid market for UT and TTU. Houston would have been a better team because at least they would have brought more Houston viewership. TCU was wholly because UT wanted another team that would do whatever UT wanted.

• Locked thread