Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Help me, I am ill, I'm the sperg that wants to talk about every other line of commentary.

"That room wasn't there" It's supposed to be on the other side of the train.
"What's the point of the run while you're on fire" so the game can have puzzles where you're forced to run forward and do platforming, also timing puzzles.
"There's no indication of how to get to this room" You can see that there's a room there, if you've spent any time playing this game you should know to try to tackle all of the walls and buttstomp all floors because there is treasure in the walls and floors. Literally a treasure hunting game where this is a mechanic.
"It's a good thing this switch is in another room and you may not notice what it does" It's difficult to not know what it does because you can't actually go back before hitting it again.

"The game is punishing you by wasting your time" This is literally one of two ways the game punishes you at all, the other being coin loss. When you get hit by a goom, you can't move for a bit. When you get hit by a boss, you have to go back to the boss. Fall off a platform, have to go back up it. It's sort of amazing because that is literally the exact same thing that a lives system does, only streamlined.

Futurefriend breaking my heart by not getting all of the big money.

I really like Wario Land 2. I'm also really enjoying this lp. Good times.becoming
Yeah the weight maze level is pretty bad.

Now that I've admitted my problem, it's time for me to fix it by playing more Wario Land 2 and not dealing with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Benach posted:

"The game is punishing you by wasting your time" This is literally one of two ways the game punishes you at all, the other being coin loss. When you get hit by a goom, you can't move for a bit. When you get hit by a boss, you have to go back to the boss. Fall off a platform, have to go back up it. It's sort of amazing because that is literally the exact same thing that a lives system does, only streamlined.

The system does kind of waste your time, though, due to one key difference. The thing with (good) games that have lives is that they give you a little leeway to gently caress up a few times before you die and go back to a checkpoint. The way the grand majority of bosses are set up in this game if you get hit once you're done, try again rear end in a top hat, and you're going to get hit more than a few times as you learn the bosses' patterns (and some bosses have multiple patterns). As games like Super Meat Boy taught us: if the player is going to be expected to have to replay certain sections over and over again, they need to be able to jump back into the action quickly or they're just going to get frustrated.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
fatmaze was certainly a low-point in the game for me, unless I mentally blocked out some of the later levels

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Benach posted:

pointing out poo poo

I'm gonna be a hypocrite and say that in hindsight I actually agree with some of the stuff you're talking about, like the switch and the fire status.

However, I do have a problem with the immortal mechanic that I probably can't explain in the video itself. It's less a problem of the immortality mechanic and more of the level design. The later levels in Wario Land 2 really seem more built around the notion of knocking you off platforms, having statutes effect you negatively instead of actually being beneficial. Wario Land 3 has the same immortality mechanic but it just has level design that annoys you less, so I'm more kind on it.

However, the thing is that though I write all this poo poo, for me personally I probably wouldn't mind if I just played through this once every 5 years or so. But because I LPed this I played through the entirety of the game like 3 times in 3 months so a lot of the repeated stuff just annoys me.

tl;dr I'm LPing games so I grow to hate them but on the other hand look at this loving boss, it's great.

(Glad to see you're still enjoying it, though because I was kind of worried people would have been turned off with the recent influx of negativity.)

FutureFriend fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 28, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FutureFriend posted:

I'm gonna be a hypocrite and say that in hindsight I actually agree with some of the stuff you're talking about, like the switch and the fire status.

However, I do have a problem with the immortal mechanic that I probably can't explain in the video itself. It's less a problem of the immortality mechanic and more of the level design. The later levels in Wario Land 2 really seem more built around the notion of knocking you off platforms, having statutes effect you negatively instead of actually being beneficial. Wario Land 3 has the same immortality mechanic but it just has level design that annoys you less, so I'm more kind on it.

However, the thing is that though I write all this poo poo, for me personally I probably wouldn't mind if I just played through this once every 5 years or so. But because I LPed this I played through the entirety of the game like 3 times in 3 months so a lot of the repeated stuff just annoys me.

tl;dr I'm LPing games so I grow to hate them but on the other hand look at this loving boss, it's great.

(Glad to see you're still enjoying it, though because I was kind of worried people would have been turned off with the recent influx of negativity.)

Now let's play football with it.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
I've never played the Wario games (save like 20 minutes of the Wii one) and this LP has been super fun. I can't really be mad at the negativity ,because holy poo poo, going from the 2nd floor to the 5th floor to go down to the 1st one? Who the gently caress thought that was a good idea.

Really though, keep it up, because I honestly enjoy them.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
WL2 owns and I have no idea what your problem with it is :mad:.

Nah kidding, the town is pretty poo poo. I especially remember the factory with hate because it was the last...thing...I had to find.

Oh, and I think WL3 is far worse in wasting your time quite obviously the longer it goes on, to the extent where I just didn't think it fun enough to finish. Just...personal opinion, obviously.

It drives me crazy that you don't just walk into a wall when fat. It also cures you, unless I'm seriously mistaken (for this game - in WL4 it 100% does).

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Echoing the complaints about the city. It's definitely the low point of the game as far as annoyances in level design go. The fat maze in particular is a serious "what were they thinking" moment.

Although, if memory serves me correctly, the final level comes close as far as being annoying goes. What exactly I mean by that is left to the reader.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wario Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden

Wario Land 3 has some pretty annoying parts as well, one of which is also in a city level. But we'll get to that when it happens.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 29, 2014

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Crouching keeps you from eating the cake, by the way.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Holy poo poo that rabbit. That loving rabbit.

Holy loving goddamn poo poo gently caress that rabbit. He makes a return in 3 for a game of soccer and he is the most annoying boss in the game. A mixture the ball-ed up rabbit being hard to control, the stupid tortoise goalie and the fact that he outright cheats (the goalie ALWAYS ducks for the rabbit's shots) make that boss so rage inducing.

I look forward to you getting to that boss battle FF, and hearing about how many attempts you cut out of the recording.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jan 29, 2014

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Alkydere posted:

I look forward to you getting to that boss battle FF, and hearing about how many attempts you cut out of the recording.

Alkydere may have spoiled it there, but it's good to know someone else remembers the suffering. :smith::hf::smith:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Eh, it's not like I spoiled who killed Voldemort. And besides, at the rate that FF is updating, I'm pretty sure everyone will forget what I said by the time he gets there.

It's still a boss that burns itself into your memory for how much it makes you want to throw your gameboy across the room.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 30, 2014

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
*goes through a brief "jumping while on fire" puzzle that's super easy. Then rants for minutes about how there's no puzzles using the on fire jumping mechanic.*

Also, even though it's undoubtedly just another room full of coins, boo to not going into the Nintendoor.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The sad part about the city level in Wario Land 3 is that the rabbit boss wasn't the bullshit moment I was thinking of.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

I'm actually gonna try to be a bit more positive for the next video, even though I think the next world is the low point of the game. Mostly because looking at the thread it just seems to be kind of irritating for people so far. Also I'm just gonna go ahead and apologize for when in the future I'm just plain wrong about poo poo.

With that being said, let's talk a bit more about Wario Land 2.

Choco1980 posted:

*goes through a brief "jumping while on fire" puzzle that's super easy. Then rants for minutes about how there's no puzzles using the on fire jumping mechanic.*

Also, even though it's undoubtedly just another room full of coins, boo to not going into the Nintendoor.

We actually went into the Nintendoor but it was just a treasure room, my editing skills were just kinda atrocious, so I changed it out to be a bit clearer in the next video.

Also about the fire thing, to be fair I actually don't remember myself ranting about it and even then I don't think the others spend too long on it. I totally agree the fire state is actually a pretty alright mechanic. Like I said, I'm probably being way too down on the game though.

Simply Simon posted:

It drives me crazy that you don't just walk into a wall when fat. It also cures you, unless I'm seriously mistaken (for this game - in WL4 it 100% does).

I just tested it out because I was curious, walking into a wall only heals you as fast as it would when you would normally move.

MR. J posted:

Crouching keeps you from eating the cake, by the way.

Yeah, I unfortunately only found that out after recording. It probably would have some saved me some grief. Either way man, genuinely thanks for pointing it out.

TheJayOfSpade
Jun 21, 2012

The Thread was destroyed,
but hey, what can you do?
"Taste of Money"? More like "Taste of Crummy" because that's what this LP is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That boss fight is the main thing I remember about this game.

b00n
May 8, 2007
I'm sure someone in this thread has already mentioned it, but one of your commentators constantly sounds like he's about to fall asleep.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

FutureFriend posted:

I just tested it out because I was curious, walking into a wall only heals you as fast as it would when you would normally move.
Yeah, but I'm sure your constant turning around doesn't help matters at all ;).

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm not sure if this is true for this game, but it is for the later games: If there's water around, it heals EVERYTHING. Including fatness. Just like in real life.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wario is down with the streets, as long as the streets are open to butt-related problem solving.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Let's Play The Wario Franchise-Okay, Some Butt Stuff

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

With apologies to widespread:

Treasure/Map Progress

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Those loving ice dudes.

Killrrhubarb
Feb 11, 2014

Girl you like them plants?
Whoa, I was actually not expecting this game to have multiple paths. That's some Deus Ex kinda poo poo going on.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:golfclap: Nice work with that Earthbound joke. That mouse sound effect, though... I swear I heard that in my Hamtaro LP. :psyduck:

...That path diagram.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
In one of the endings, Wario comes face to face with the fact that he's a greedy son of a bitch, and donates all his money to charity, vowing a life of poverty and peace.

Which he then immediately cashes in on with books on how to attain enlightenment.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Killrrhubarb posted:

Whoa, I was actually not expecting this game to have multiple paths. That's some Deus Ex kinda poo poo going on.

I never asked for this. I thought the LP was over. It didn't even occur to me as we were watching the credits that we already had a second video ready to go.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
you all suck this game is amazing :colbert:

Actually surprised anybody was fooled by this being the end of the game, considering the treasure list and map were still half missing.

I really like the create-a-maze level. That thing you've been doing all game long that clearly you should've been doing because you're rewarded for doing it? Now do it even more except for real this time. Smash the whole building up. Smash one bit, reveal a large corridor. It's certainly one of the more interesting mazes I can think of in a videogame.
Also you can beat the Four Ducks stage without hitting the switch. One of the bigger, most interesting secrets in the game.

It sounds like the credits song was butchered by the emulator. Which is a shame, because it's loving amazing. It's a song that invokes a deep sense of nostalgia in me even though I never played or heard much of this game until a few months ago. Here's a non-shrill version

The Spring form lasts way too long.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Are you gonna let the thread pick which path you're gonna take? Because if so, I say you go to the haunted house to set the tone. :getin:

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Geemer posted:

Are you gonna let the thread pick which path you're gonna take? Because if so, I say you go to the haunted house to set the tone. :getin:

I concur, this is the best path.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Geemer posted:

I'd say if it should be setting the tone for these alternate paths, then we should be taking the alternate path in the first level. I can't remember where that one goes, though, so if it goes to where you're saying, then I agree.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
That treasure you got in the DYI Maze looked like an athletic cup. W-Wario, dear, why are you stealing some sportsman's cup?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Geemer posted:

Sorry mate, but I'm gonna have to dissapoint ya here and say we're just gonna do it all in a set order. As soon as we get to Wario Land 4, expect lotsa viewer participation, though :getin:

Benach posted:

you all suck :colbert:

Won't disagree with that, haha.

By the way, don't expect the next update too soon. I wasn't really happy with how that recording turned out so we're gonna aim to do a re-recording as soon as we're able to schedule.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!

b00n posted:

I'm sure someone in this thread has already mentioned it, but one of your commentators constantly sounds like he's about to fall asleep.
Actually, no one in this thread had mentioned this (at least, I don't think so), but Slowbeef and Diabetus had brought this up in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIv9hN-D9TU
I can't remember where in the video that they mention this, and I can't be assed enough to find it.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Pretty sure you mean me. That's just kind of how I sound when I'm relaxing.

I did actually yawn once or twice during the video, though. i apologize for that. Didn't get to the mute mic button fast enough.

Holidae fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 23, 2014

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Holidae posted:

Pretty sure you mean me. That's just kind of how I sound when I'm relaxing.

If it is any consolation, I genuinely cannot tell half of you apart.

I am enjoying the LP though, Future Friend.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wow. I half-cracked up at the "Wario Historia" joke, but it's pretty interesting that I didn't see any obvious off-ramps to the story you were running through. Do they only open up once you beat the game once, or are they all there from the beginning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You can go to any of the paths right away, but they're hidden fairly well.

• Locked thread