Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

One of the things that I do really like about the old Wario design is how Wario nearly always had cross-eyes going on making him look a lot more crazy than he looks nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Can't forget the Wario Land commercial itself either. He did a get a bit more hair later on. 90s commercials were really out there, but I think that's when they first added the whole greedy aspect to Wario. He was just Mario's evil twin in SML2.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 25, 2013

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Are you going to be touching on the spinoff Wario's Woods at all?

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

IAmTheRad posted:

Are you going to be touching on the spinoff Wario's Woods at all?

Yeah, I'm just going to do one video about it, though. Just like Mario & Wario and Wario Blast because they're not really that interesting to watch.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008
I'm not sure how you'd make videos of it, though I imagine there must be an emulator out there somewhere that would work, but I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a full playthrough of Virtual Boy Wario Land. That was the best one and one of my favorite games as a kid.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I had no idea you could spin jump those Wario Orbs. Also, I'm fairly certain you can't dodge that first jumbo fire plant in "super" size. I've tried so many times. It's one of the many things turned off in easy mode.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Wario is the best character, besides Luigi that is.

Even through I never played the land series as a kid I always picked Wario whenever he showed up in the spinoffs, whether is was Mario Kart 64 or Mario party, Wario waaas the man.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

stereobreadsticks posted:

I'm not sure how you'd make videos of it, though I imagine there must be an emulator out there somewhere that would work, but I'll be very disappointed if we don't get a full playthrough of Virtual Boy Wario Land. That was the best one and one of my favorite games as a kid.

I want a 100% playthrough of Wario: Master of Disguise.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Thanks for the SML2 video! It was nice to see that boss fight again, even though it was short.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Oh! It just occurred to me, will we see a bonus video of Super Mario 64 DS? After all, Wario IS a fully playable character in it...

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

stereobreadsticks posted:

Don't worry, I intend to do a full playthrough of every Wario platformer.

Choco1980 posted:

I had no idea you could spin jump those Wario Orbs. Also, I'm fairly certain you can't dodge that first jumbo fire plant in "super" size. I've tried so many times. It's one of the many things turned off in easy mode.

You actually can dodge it, it just requires you to duck on the rightest part of the platform before it and jumping immediately after it fires at you. It's tricky timing though and I've only been able to do it a few times.

Choco1980 posted:

Oh! It just occurred to me, will we see a bonus video of Super Mario 64 DS? After all, Wario IS a fully playable character in it...

I'm gonna put that down as a maybe and even if I plan to do it, it's gonna be way later in the LP since I'd like to not stay too far away from chronological order. I'm mainly hesitating it though, because there's already a LP of it in the archives and the other thing that is more damning, I really don't like Super Mario 64.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Definitely going to be following this thread. The Wario Land games have all been excellent and subversive over the years, and the original was one of the very first games I ever owned on the Gameboy Pocket (both of which I still own and play occasionally).

Now where's my Mario & Luigi VS Wario & Waluigi RPG, Nintendo? :argh:

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Triskelli posted:

I'd like a GTA clone with Wario and Waluigi set in Mushroom Kingdom and some other places too. Maybe a twist halfway through where Tatanga comes and gently caress poo poo up Saints Row 4 style* and W & W go to Sarasa Land and finally to space to fix everything.

* I haven't actually played Saints Row 4

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Triskelli posted:

There's a surprisingly good spritesheet floating around the Internet for a GBA-level Wario & Waluigi "Superstar Saga" game. I for one would play the poo poo out of it were it real, but I heard a rumor that one of the higher-ups at Nintendo (maybe even Miyamoto himself) hates Waluigi, which is why he's never put into anything but sports games. I don't know how much Wario is affected by that disdain.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Triskelli posted:

"Wario and Waluigi: Partners in Crime"
"Wario and Waluigi: Bowser's Inside Job"

God drat, now I want to play those games. :sigh:

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Fun fact! Early in the development of Superstar Saga, a number of Nintendo characters were intended to have a cameo appearance. Wario was one of them:

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Do the Wa- Brothers have their own princess? I'm disappointed they don't.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Choco1980 posted:

Wario has inadvertently saved a few princesses on his adventures, but they don't really count because they are secondary to Wario's true soul mate: cold hard cash.

And Waluigi, I dunno, I think the fan canon (:spergin:) is that he competes with Luigi for Daisy's affections, but I like to think that he just lives to be a complete rear end in a top hat.

e: If the Wa- brothers ever had a princess, I would imagine that she would be a fabulously wealthy tycoon who pays the brothers large amounts of money to be her personal bodyguards and occasionally save her from the kidnapper-du-jour.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 27, 2013

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Princess Wadstool

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mr DJB posted:

Fun fact! Early in the development of Superstar Saga, a number of Nintendo characters were intended to have a cameo appearance. Wario was one of them:

They were supposed to give you some of the stuff that E. Gadd gives you for making coffee :eng101: Check it-

Cobalt Necktie- Olimar
Power Grip- Samus
Bonus Ring- Fox
Greed Wallet- Wario
Excite Spring- Excitebike Guy
Great Force- Link
Game Boy Horror SP- E. Gadd

VV I never said it didn't suck! :smith:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 27, 2013

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

C-Euro posted:

I heard a rumor that one of the higher-ups at Nintendo (maybe even Miyamoto himself) hates Waluigi, which is why he's never put into anything but sports games. I don't know how much Wario is affected by that disdain.

That seriously sucks if it's true. It even feels like they're trying to phase Waluigi out completely after he wasn't in Mario Kart 7. A Wa-bros RPG feels like a natural step, especially now that the latest Paper Mario and the Mario & Luigi RPGs are becoming a little formulaic.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well at least we'll always have Psycho Waluigi in our hearts.

(Seriously, if you don't know what that is, go check out the LP in the fangames megathread. It's legit an amazing game.)

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

I feel like I have to mention that the entirety of the canned Wario cameo in Superstar Saga was about Wario not wanting to pay for his coffee.

Also, have a update:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm pretty sure you could just ram into the back of those spiky hermit crab dudes instead of waiting around for them to move out of your way.
Besides, this is Wario you're playing as, you should be killing more poo poo to loot their corpses.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Geemer posted:

I'm pretty sure you could just ram into the back of those spiky hermit crab dudes instead of waiting around for them to move out of your way.
Besides, this is Wario you're playing as, you should be killing more poo poo to loot their corpses.

Yeah, I was off somewhere else with my mind when recording the gameplay so I wasn't really thinking a lot about killing the crabs.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!
Added to the list of crimes committed: terrible puns. I'm sorry for what I done.

Thanatz
Nov 4, 2010
That second treasure was the last one I ever found. Goddamn invisible door.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Choco1980 posted:

Not a princess but I think Syrup is their resident series lady.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
MATH CORNER

Playing the money bonus game is always the best choice.

You play for three rounds, and have a 50% chance to double your current cash each round, and a 50% chance to half it.

There is a 1/8 chance to lose all three times,
a 3/8 chance to lose twice and win once,
a 3/8 chance to win twice and lose once,
and a 1/8 chance to win all three times.

If you come in to the money game with 10 coins...
Losing all three times leaves you with 1 coin.
Losing twice and winning once leaves you with 2 coins.
Winning twice and losing once leaves you with 20 coins.
Winning three times leaves you with 80 coins.

So on average, if you play the money game every time, you end up with 1.8375 times the money you would have if you never played it. Coming in eight times with 10 coins each time nets you 147 coins if you play the money game, but only 80 coins if you don't.

Always play the money game!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Not a princess but I think Syrup is their resident series lady.

Yeah, Captain Syrup is basically Wapeach, but instead of being rescued she and Wario just pull scams on each other all the time.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Mzbundifund posted:

MATH CORNER

Always play the money game!

The formula used missed an important variable though. "Length of video doing stuff that generally isn't entertaining after the first few times"

Since some of the endings need a lot of money apparently I'm assuming he's going to show off the bad end and then do a level that gives loads of dosh just to money game that over and over, but I pray that's off camera

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Forer posted:

The formula used missed an important variable though. "Length of video doing stuff that generally isn't entertaining after the first few times"

Since some of the endings need a lot of money apparently I'm assuming he's going to show off the bad end and then do a level that gives loads of dosh just to money game that over and over, but I pray that's off camera

He's getting all the treasures though which give loads of money at the end. Those alone get you to one of the best endings.

CaptainSweden
May 3, 2012
I've 100% Wario Land probably 20 times, no joke, it was the only game I had for a long time, and it's fun to see all the little mistakes you make and secrets you miss.

Those 'thwomps' are called Boulder.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Just remember that you can kill anything if you can hit it where it doesn't have spikes. Except the seahorses, those curl up before you can reach them, even with the rocket hat.

Also a note regarding the bad rats: After they laugh, they throw their knife. Dodge it, and it will stick in the wall. You can then use it for a step, which just blew 13-year-old me away.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Forer posted:

If you pause the game and hit select like 15 times or something similar you can edit your coins to 999 in every level. Not recommended though because you need to watch all those coins slowly count down at the end of a level.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Forer posted:

Before I actually started recording the game itself, I grinded for coins and recorded all the endings so don't worry too much about it.

whitehelm posted:

He's getting all the treasures though which give loads of money at the end. Those alone get you to one of the best endings.

Even if you have all the treasures, you still need 10,000 coins to get to the best ending.

CaptainSweden posted:

I've 100% Wario Land probably 20 times, no joke, it was the only game I had for a long time, and it's fun to see all the little mistakes you make and secrets you miss.

Those 'thwomps' are called Boulder.

I think I've beaten Wario Land like 15 times over the years and I still seem to find all new stuff about it every playthrough, it's such a packed game :allears:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

FutureFriend posted:

Even if you have all the treasures, you still need 10,000 coins to get to the best ending.

I know, that's why I said ONE of the best endings.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Princess Wadstool

This sounds like something you'd hear about from the bachelor thread in PYF. :gonk:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The speed with which you run around the bonus stage room is just related to what stage you're on. The farther you get through the game, the faster you run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Hey my post re: bomb-throwing got a shout-out :toot:

I can't get over how many coins you're skipping over though, and your complete refusal to actually tackle any enemies. As long as you don't run into the spiky parts of an enemy you can kill it. I think you can even swim up into the bottoms of those vertically-floating jellyfish guys and take them out like that.

• Locked thread