Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Honestly the entire point of being Wario is mugging everyone you see for their lunch money. That and fiscally responsible gambling sprees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

I kinda tend to skip over enemies because I tend to not really play too risky, but I'll try to keep this in mind and accommodate what you guys want in the next video I'll record (Sherbet Land will still have me playing somewhat carefully.)

I'll try to do the same for the coins, too.

whitehelm posted:

I know, that's why I said ONE of the best endings.

Sorry, my bad.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

I too hated the bomb levels, and never managed to be any kind of good at it.

Also, get more loot. You are making Wario sad because he's so poor

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

CaptainSweden posted:

Those 'thwomps' are called Boulder.

I thought they were called 'Pursuer' in my manual... All I know is, I was scared of them.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Elfface posted:

I thought they were called 'Pursuer' in my manual... All I know is, I was scared of them.

anything that chases you when you're like 10 and hate timed segments is awful.

CarpetCrawler
Feb 18, 2013

I'm really not all that worried that FutureFriend and Holidae aren't collecting every possibly coin because as FutureFriend said, the alternate endings have already been recorded, and to be honest it'd be really boring watching Wario go for every single enemy and coin. They're showing off the important stuff, so I'm honestly not all that bothered by it.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Forer posted:

The formula used missed an important variable though. "Length of video doing stuff that generally isn't entertaining after the first few times"

Since some of the endings need a lot of money apparently I'm assuming he's going to show off the bad end and then do a level that gives loads of dosh just to money game that over and over, but I pray that's off camera

Wario Land has a debug code that you can enter in any level at any time. You can use it to set your lives, hearts, or get 999 coins in a level. You can even change your hat! That being said, it's easier to just get a buncha treasures. Treasures alone are enough for the 2nd best ending, and are about 90% of the best ending.

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

Shove 'em up there again, Dennehy! This time I'll try to just solve the reds!

FutureFriend posted:

I kinda tend to skip over enemies because I tend to not really play too risky, but I'll try to keep this in mind and accommodate what you guys want in the next video I'll record (Sherbet Land will still have me playing somewhat carefully.)

I'll try to do the same for the coins, too.

Fortune favors the bold, FutureFriend. Punish them for standing between you and your wealth.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Ah, Wario. One of my very first games was Wario Land 3 on the Game Boy Colour, so I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of it when the time comes!

I also unironically love the music and sound effects in the Wario games, even if it does sound like the Gameboy is farting. Clearly they're just trying to capture the Wario ExperienceTM. :colbert:

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Wario Land is a very, very well designed game for quite a number of reasons. My main one is that the engine is incredibly solid. You are always in total control of Wario, it is not in the least momentum-based, which I always kind of dislike; with the dash ability big Wario has, it feels like a proto Mega Man X. You don't slide, your air movement is solely based on which direction you pressed, it just feels very, very smooth and well-done.
One of my biggest :aaaaa: moments when playing it, however, was when I discovered that pressing up in the D-pad does something. It will add more height to your jump, no strings attached. The sheer beauty of the game is that you pretty much never, unless I misremember from the last time I played it (for a race on SA, actually), have to do that. In fact, I discovered that fact mid-race :D (though maybe I knew as a kid when I first played it? Didn't get much further than Mt. Teapot, in any case).
It makes you pretty much soar over the levels even as small Wario, and it's glorious. The levels are fantastically layed out in that if you want to go fast, you can very often do that, skip half the level or even all of it, with a few obvious exceptions. However, you rarely want to, because there's so much incentive to explore, kill enemies for money, find secret stuff and hidden money caches and, and, and.

The sheer freedom you have in how you want to tackle the levels, and even replay them after they've changed and experience them all over again, is astounding. This is a title that's just brimming with love and effort at every corner and a joy to watch and experience.

And it's only going to get better for the sequel(s?).

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
I love the Wario games, especially the early one's.
Thanks for taking this on.

(I know I said I'd poo poo up your thread with "Fan Arts" ages ago FutureFriend, but better late than never)

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

We've been trying to get together and record the next episode for about a week now but various circumstances (all of them on my end) keep getting in the way. Sorry about that. I promise to do better. :ohdear:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

Wario Land is a very, very well designed game for quite a number of reasons. My main one is that the engine is incredibly solid. You are always in total control of Wario, it is not in the least momentum-based, which I always kind of dislike; with the dash ability big Wario has, it feels like a proto Mega Man X. You don't slide, your air movement is solely based on which direction you pressed, it just feels very, very smooth and well-done.
One of my biggest :aaaaa: moments when playing it, however, was when I discovered that pressing up in the D-pad does something. It will add more height to your jump, no strings attached. The sheer beauty of the game is that you pretty much never, unless I misremember from the last time I played it (for a race on SA, actually), have to do that. In fact, I discovered that fact mid-race :D (though maybe I knew as a kid when I first played it? Didn't get much further than Mt. Teapot, in any case).
It makes you pretty much soar over the levels even as small Wario, and it's glorious. The levels are fantastically layed out in that if you want to go fast, you can very often do that, skip half the level or even all of it, with a few obvious exceptions. However, you rarely want to, because there's so much incentive to explore, kill enemies for money, find secret stuff and hidden money caches and, and, and.

The sheer freedom you have in how you want to tackle the levels, and even replay them after they've changed and experience them all over again, is astounding. This is a title that's just brimming with love and effort at every corner and a joy to watch and experience.

And it's only going to get better for the sequel(s?).

I never got a chance to try the sequels for any period of time. But the description here is very accurate: The first game was some kind of amazing. It had lots of content, interesting and solid mechanics and great music. One of the last great gameboy games I played.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Add me to the pile of people who absolutely loved this game back in the day and are happy to revisit it through this LP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like what they're doing with secrets and level transformations here, really. That's tough to pull off on the tiny screen.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Glazius posted:

I like what they're doing with secrets and level transformations here, really. That's tough to pull off on the tiny screen.

We've got plenty more to go on that front, too!

My favorite thing to do is just sit there and let the plain old Gooms run into Wario, they get stunned. :3:

They're magnificently pathetic, hell, even Waddle Dees from Kirby can hurt you.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bellmaker posted:

]
My favorite thing to do is just sit there and let the plain old Gooms run into Wario, they get stunned. :3:

Are there any other enemies in platformer games that can't hurt you in the slightest? I mean even in games where you can't get hurt enemies are able to knock you back at the very least. The most a Wanderin' Goom can do is slow you down for half a second as you gut-check it.

Also, how bad is it that for the longest time I thought that the hermit crabs were living sneakers with beaks facing forward and backwards? v:v:v

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib
I remember playing this game over and over once I got a Super Game Boy. I loved Wario Land.

I found that invisible door by accident. I held Up with the bull horns all the time to stick to the ceiling because it was funny to me. I accidentally broke the block in front of the door from below before I did it, and when I landed, I entered the door. It surprised me.

The second time I played though, I completely forgot about it until the game reminded me there was a treasure in that level. The game flashes the levels that have a hidden treasure after you beat the game.

I'm getting nostalgic. I need to find my Game Boy.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Bellmaker posted:

We've got plenty more to go on that front, too!

Not weaponless ones in Kirby's Epic Yarn :eng101:!

Wario Land 4 also has completely harmless enemies that are just there for your to murder for money :black101:.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Alright guys, let's get this show back on the road.

PantslessScot
Dec 4, 2007
Are You Surprised?
I'm happy to see an update and all, but one thing I always questioned is why it's 'Sherbet' and not 'Sherbert'. Perhaps the latter is one of the many weird Britishisms that seem to cause schisms.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
A cursory Googling reveals that the "sherbert" is actually just an extremely common misspelling of "sherbet".
I... In all my years on the internet I can't believe I've never heard of this. Nothing is certain anymore. :gonk:

A_Raving_Loon
Dec 12, 2008

Subtle
Quick to Anger
If Wario simply wished for all the money in the world, then he'd miss out on the joy of stealing all the money in the world.

Kitten Head Ridge
Apr 3, 2009

It is surprising how much space is needed to 'swing a cat'!
Silly goose. Wario can't be a vampire because he likes garlic.

...unless he's a special variety of vampire that's immune to garlic. :tinfoil:

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I really have to repeat my earlier post; I completed this game fully and with all treasures, at age eight or thereabouts. I distinctly recall the 'exit' hanging suspended over spikes (at around 12:54 in), because I tossed down a ten-coin and tried to enter that fucker several times just to see if I could get it to work that way, and, if by doing so I'd enter a secret level.

Fuckin' around the level (with repeated loss of life) was pretty much HOW you found secrets back in those days, long before those new-fangled 'walkthroughs' and 'the internet' could offer viable alternatives to get through hardcore gamin'. Got pretty good at that bomb game too, though the hardest difficulty was always kind of hit or miss. :downsrim:

(What honestly amazes me the most is that I found that secret level at 16:33, despite being the gaming equivalent of a drooling toddler. Persistence pays off, I guess.)

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

You can actually use the horn trick to be pulled along the bottom of conveyor belts, which is how you grab those coins on the level with the penkoons.

And if an enemy gets zapped by lakitu the lightning cloud it also makes ten coins.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009
Sherbet land always seemed weird to me, with all of its the various one-off level hazards, design, and enemy implementation it feels kind of like the dump for leftover stuff that didn't exactly mesh with the games "normal" level design and flow

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Scribbleykins posted:

(What honestly amazes me the most is that I found that secret level at 16:33, despite being the gaming equivalent of a drooling toddler. Persistence pays off, I guess.)

It's not that much of a bitch. It's the same psychology as Rare's single banana trick in DKC.

The real tell is the coin, not the X mark in the background.

PantslessScot
Dec 4, 2007
Are You Surprised?

dijon du jour posted:

A cursory Googling reveals that the "sherbert" is actually just an extremely common misspelling of "sherbet".

It's so common that I am reasonably sure that a number of British confections at least used to use that spelling!

As for the video, I do have to feel some pains for each coin missed. All that money lost, never to grace Wario's coffers. I can imagine him laying awake at night, mouring their loss.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Hey, if it's common enough it technically stops being a misspelling. That's how language works after all!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Sherbet Island was a bit underwhelming for me as a kid. It's nice that they included a different setting, or biom if you will, but the levels just aren't special or different enough. Dunno, it's just a few levels more that are there, and nothing else. And it's also weird that it has so many secrets, if you consider how small the area actually is. As others have already said, the game has a pretty good design overall, so Sherbet feels kinda tacked on.

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

Bleh! I want to suck your cash!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Kitten Head Ridge posted:

Ahhhm... would it be too late to mention the Vampire Wario transformation in 3?

Holidae
Feb 25, 2011

PantslessScot posted:

I'm happy to see an update and all, but one thing I always questioned is why it's 'Sherbet' and not 'Sherbert'. Perhaps the latter is one of the many weird Britishisms that seem to cause schisms.

dijon du jour posted:

I... In all my years on the internet I can't believe I've never heard of this. Nothing is certain anymore.

It's Shoobie Land and you have both beefed it to the fullest extent of the law.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
I still can't believe I haven't played any of the Wario games, save for a few of the WarioWare titles. I watched a friend play some Wario Shake It, and that game looked great. I'll have to play through some of these.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

widespread posted:

Ahhhm... would it be too late to mention the Vampire Wario transformation in 3?

Shh, they're building a mythology. :ssh:

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Ah, Wario Land, the game that basically killed all momentum-based platformers for me because of it's tight controls. I'm one of those kids that 100%ed the game at the age of 8. Never really had problems finding the treasures. That one in the ceiling seemed obvious to me since that coin and the ceiling are oddly out of place and, odds are, while trying to get the coin, you will hit the invisible block.

One other thing I want to add about how you should always be gambling; you have the option to stop after any number of pulls. So if, say, you get in with 200+ coins (usually after beating a boss), get two moneybags and jump to 800+, you can just leave. Since the max is 999, you're gambling on losing money rather than winning.

It's mentioned in the video that the dash seems reminds them of Megaman X's dashing. It's much more like DKC's rolling, in that it damages enemies and allows you to jump in midair. Besides, this dash barely speeds you up, the real way to go fast is to jump forwards while holding up. Or just get the Jet cap. it even makes you walk faster!
Also, Small Wario jumps as high as all the other Warios.

I knew I was going to sperg about this game sooner or later...

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm having trouble thinking of a platformer on the bigger screen that has the kind of persistent keys and items blocks the first Wario Land does.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Glazius posted:

I'm having trouble thinking of a platformer on the bigger screen that has the kind of persistent keys and items blocks the first Wario Land does.

I think Toejam and Earl remembered where presents and items were when you go up and down levels. It's not really a platformer, though.

edit: wording

Lurkcopter
Aug 6, 2013
oh man, Wario land was one of my favourite Game Boy games back in the day. I still remember meeting up during recess at school discussing secrets and treasure locations with my classmates.

Replaying it, the game still holds up excellently. Level design is great and the controls are tight. Visually it's quite well executed. It's easy to follow the action on that tiny screen because of how big Wario and his world are, even on a standard monochrome Game Boy. I would say It's a bit slower paced compared to a Mario game of that same time period, but that suits both the game boy hardware and the more exploratory nature of the game.

One thing I've always wondered though is why Wario went from a bad guy in a fairly obscure Mario spin-off to being his own thing? Were the guys developing Mario land 2 that fond of him? or did they figure that Wario's more exaggerated proportions were a much better fit for the Game Boy?

Anyways, love the LP so far, can't wait 'till you get to 3 and 4 (both of which I like for different sets of reasons).

Edit: I was crushing some of the spearguys with thwomps while replaying the game and apparently I managed to angle one of them in the exact spot where it would still spawn a big coin, but not kill the spearguy :smuggo:

Edit2: do you think Wario's ability to disintegrate enemies with his butt is a natural ability or one that he acquired? And is it a skill-based thing or just sheer power?

Lurkcopter fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Sep 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Lurkcopter posted:

Edit2: do you think Wario's ability to disintegrate enemies with his butt is a natural ability or one that he acquired? And is it a skill-based thing or just sheer power?
he farts while he falls

• Locked thread