Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

I wonder why Chachamaru(zero too) aren't with Eva. Chachamaru could be working on something related to the space elevator or Mars, but Chachazero was explicitly shown being left behind in the opening pages.

Well she explicitly narrates that you eventually grow bored even of those who can keep accompanying you. So she probably just abandoned chachazero. Its weird to have her be so nice and caring when she only ever was that way pretty briefly. And only with Negi/Nagi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It seems like it's about time for us to get an explanation on why Eva said that only Touta and Karin would survive forever.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

New chapter, not sure if I can link since Crunchyroll does it in America.

Is that Magica Erebea? It'd make sense, since overuse of that supposedly turned Negi into a demon/monster, that it might have passed on something similar

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I would suggest reading the Kyoto arc, the back end of the Magical Festival arc, and then going to the magical world, because it gives you a lot of background, since you meet the main bad guy of the magic world arc in Kyoto, and find out a lot of stuff in the festival arc from the bad guy that makes a reveal in the magic world arc (and the ending) make a little more sense.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

UchihaHirou posted:

The shadows look like Fate, Albiero "Colonel Sanders", Chachamaru, Mana Tatsumiya, and Zazie Rainyday. So basically, none of his minister magi ("partners").

Chachamaru and him were partners - all of them are non-humans though, except maybe Albiero. Mana and Zazie were half-demons, Fate was... weird, Chachamaru's a robot.

It's all people who would age slower/not age though, so immortals. Likely founding members of UQ Holder? Eva may have founded UQ Holder after Negi's death?

Who knows!

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 22, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

Edit: Also, I'm pretty sure Zazie is a full demon. Her sister was demon royalty or something, so...

She may have been, I sorta of had trouble following that whole last arc!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Not sure if it's a spoiler since it's from Negima but

Magia Erebea works by absorbing magical power from spells and converting it into physical power trapped inside your skin. The black version is just absorbing mana from the air or inside you, unshaped raw mana, and is characterized by being slow but powerful.

Negi also displays fusing a lesser lightning spell (gains speed) an amazingly powerful lightning spell (gains speed equal to a lightning strike), a fire variant (super tough to hurt, and able to withstand the heat of hellfire).

Eva displays an 'ice queen' mode where everything that gets within a few feet of her automatically freezes, as well as making it so she can easily channel powerful ice magic without incantation.

Negi also displays it in a way that lets him absorb pure power from his opponent, and throw it back at them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The Fresh Prince posted:

That last one is the original explanation for the entire use of Magia Erebea, It wasn't just a Negi thing.

I was referring to the Energy Absorbtion Circle that he uses against Rakan - which is in fact not what the original use of Magia Erebea was, it was a possibility that was too dangerous for Eva to consider using. It was one of his 'woah, negi is a genius beyond compare at making spells' moments.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Just pretend everything about the ending was never actually written, and that we don't know what happened to anyone.

Because the ending was something he cobbled together in like three weeks, and even he has been stated to not like it.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Yes. Eva and Fate are both returning characters. Negi Springfield, Touta's grandfather who has been talked about and seen a few times is the main character of Negima.

It's not a necessity I guess, but it'd get you a firmer grasp on what the heck is going on, why are these people supposed to be scary, and who the gently caress is this white haired super OP character out of nowhere.

The first few volumes suck though.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I don't have much to say on this chapter that wasn't said already, but I have been rereading negima, and I'm not sure if it was intentional, but Negi defeats Takamichi in basically the exact same way he beats Rakan, 200+ chapters before.

He pretends to have shounen fight spirit, says he is going to end it all in one attack, gets Takamichi to charge up and use a big move, then deflects it, goes in for a quick hit, and uses delayed magic. I thought it was pretty great.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Albiero-Nagi, explicitly tells Negi "You aren't me. you don't need to chase me. You're your own person. Grow to be you." It doesn't take, but that's a really pretty early representation of what Negi grows up from, when he decides to learn Magica Erebea. He finally accepts that he's going his own way, instead of trying to be his father. It's a very long and drawn out plot arc of his growth, that I think worked really well.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

The action is already so fluid and easy to follow, its the exact opposite of Naruto. And it still retains that sense of speed! I am very happy with the art as it is now, but if it got better I wouldn't complain. :cheeky:

Even back in the Chao fight, with all its actual teleportation well, time travel Negima maintains a better more fluid fight than Naruto. Also, I forgot how cool Chao was. I am glad I decided to go back and re-read.

Edit: Also, going by the family tree that we do get to see, Negi is Chao's Great Grandfather. That'd make Touta either her father or uncle.

:v: It doesn't actually matter, but man, Chao's just really funny.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 17, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Did anyone point out the similarities between Chaos' magic tattoos that turn her soul into magical power, and Magica Erebea, which consumes the soul to enhance one's powers?

Hmmm

Also, I just got past the Rakan fight, and man, i forgot how funny it was when he was like 'FINAL ATTACK' and then no that wasn't his final attack. Wait, a new final attack? Nope, it was a trick. Ah, the true final attack!

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

PerrineClostermann posted:

I thought that they explicitly mentioned that at one point.

Not so far. They have mentioned that 'oh my god, Chao is from the magical world, which is Mars', but that's all that has been mentioned so far.

To be fair, my memory of the last 50 or so chapters of Negima is lacking. Really, everything past the Akira flashback I sort of forget (except things like Zazie)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Robviously posted:

They didn't even mention the magical world being on Mars when Chao showed up. I specifically remember going back when that was revealed and realizing how smart Chao's lie about being from Mars actually was. I think most people assumed she was saying she came from Mars cause, hey, time traveler. But to actually be from Mars because the magical world is over there, I think a lot of people assumed Akamatsu didn't plan that and it was a nice coincidence.

No, but in the chapter where the 'reveal' of Mars being the Magical Country (or the other way around) Negi goes 'And doesn't something we all remember make it even more believable?' and then Setsuna goes 'Oh yeah! Chao Lingsen claimed she was from Mars! Wait, what does this mean?'

Edit:

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jul 18, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

MonsieurChoc posted:

Well, the Mundus Magicus twist must have been planned at least as early as the first map of the world we got, considering how it's a modified map of Mars. Which is really clever, when you think about it. Did anyone figure it out early?

When did we get the first map? I don't think that was until the actual magical world arc started. Which would still be a long time to plan a twist, since the incident at the gate happens in... I think chapter 162? And the revelation of Mars was in 258. Which would mean, if he never took a break it would be a twist set up two years in advance. In reality, it was probably three and a half years at least.

But it's entirely possible that it had been planned from the beginning, at least in broad strokes.

Edit: Chao comes up again when discussing with Kurt about Mundus Magicus' inevitable doom. He makes a point of narrating that he understands that will happen partially because he knows Chao's future is, at least, very bad.

So yeah, Akamatsu either planned the Mars thing and Chao from the beginning, or looked back and was like 'man that's a loving great idea lets do it'.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jul 18, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The last few chapters of Negima are so disappointing, I am glad UQ Holder eventually came out. I still laugh at Chisame's ending though "Oh yeah, she became a total recluse, and doesn't ever leave her home now."

I do like the 15-20 chapters between the end of the magical world arc and the 'end' chapters. The return to light hearted comedy was actually kind of refreshing.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 19, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Silento posted:

Like Skychrono said, that page where he has that sock or whatever in his mouth. If he died that way it would certainly explain his aversion to friendship and hatred of bullies (not that you really need a reason to hate bullies, mind).

The fact that it shows up multiple times would make me think that, yeah, that's probably how he died, and dang, what a poo poo way to go.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Angry Grimace posted:

He said he didn't want to see an old lady naked, but he also said he wanted to go spy on the girls bath because its just a thing guys do.

He's basically a kid who cares more about fun than girls or boys. Everything he does is 'because fun', not because he's a pervert or anything. What that says about him, who cares.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gyges posted:

It seems like Touta is much more like Nagi and I have a feeling he'll end up being some sort of Nagi cloning experiment or something similar.

Having gone back and read Negima after catching up on UQ Holder, I've got one question about Fate.
What was his plan for fixing the magic world before Negi helpfully showed up with Asuna? He seemed to have legitimately been at the portal coincidentally. So what was the plan without Asuna powering the magics in order to transport the humans from Mars to Earth?

I think the original second plan was to just put everyone, even the humans, into Cosmo Ech-whatever it was called, the paradise illusion afterlife world? I'm pretty sure they talk about how if they kill even a human who can't just be sent there, they arrive there.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Pierson posted:

Erebia comes across as some pretty dark poo poo as I vaguely recall, does the Negima/UQ universe follow standard dark-is-always-bad-and-vice-versa magic or is it the user that makes magic good or bad? I want her to stick around for more dark skeleton magic.

Magica Erebia is dark magic that feeds of a person's negative emotions and turns them into power. At the same time it slowly creeps into the user's soul and can completely consume them - even if it doesn't consume them it permanently changes them into something other than human.

However it doesn't follow 'dark is always evil'. While Dark magic has side effects and is dangerous, it can still be used for positive purposes. It's more that Dark Magic is super dangerous to the user, which boosts its power, while 'Light' magic is weaker but less dangerous. It's also 'dark magic runs off negative emotions (hate, fear, anger, self doubt) while light magic runs off positive emotions (happiness, confidence, etc.)

Also, Negima actually got better ratings once the big fighting arcs started, that's why Akamatsu was allowed to go full fighting manga. The fanservice was still probably something some people stuck around for, but stuff like the Festival Battle and the Magical World arc scored way higher than early Negima from what I remember.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 19, 2014

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

"Oh no, you didn't kill yourself, you were murdered and their rich parents shut the police up."

*next page* "See look I kept them alive look how they scream now you can finish them off!"

"What you don't like that? Fine then I'll just have to change your memories.

That's certainly something alright.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I think that part of it was that it was translated badly. What they were going for was less 'all girls look at guys not to the future' and more 'you look at Touta like he's your goal' in a 'you are like a girl looking at their crush'.

It might just be me wanting to make it less sexist because I like the author and the manga, but it's less 'all girls have no ambition' and more 'you act more like a girl in love than a guy with his best friend'. Thus the whole thing about 'do guys gaze into each other's eyes'. He's basically going 'you say you want one thing, but you act in a way that's like this other thing'.

How it was said is still annoying - the whole gender thing with Kuroumaru is kinda annoying because they keep acting like if he chooses to be a woman it's weaker or means giving up his sword. Meanwhile Karin and 'Yukihime' are the two strongest characters in UQ Holder we've met so far, and both are women. Plus the fact that as stated above, Negima had a ton of badass girls, even if Negi did most of the badass stuff at the very end.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

ConanThe3rd posted:

Give 'm zer (?) Setsuna Kyoto wings unfurled moment and let's see what comes of it.

We literally already know how Touta is going to respond to Kuroumaru's anything. He will be like "Oh okay cool why does this matter???" and then we'll have a touching moment where Kuroumaru realizes that Touta wouldn't judge him based on gender or race, because they're friends already.

Like if it goes down any differently I'll be honestly surprised. The whole thing with Kuroumaru is that they have literally no self esteem - they're cursed in their clan's eyes, were explicitly sent out on a suicide mission to get rid of them, probably mistreated their whole life, hated by basically everyone they knew before hand. They think that everyone judges them as harshly as in the past, and that as soon as they stop being 'useful' they'll be abandoned. They invent problems and situations and things that Touta might do that he never would, because they're not used to having an actual friend or anything. This is then combined with their gender issues.

Santa has a similar problem with the whole 'poo poo life I don't trust anyone' thing, but he seems to have realized that Touta's a huge goof who he can trust.

Also Nodoka or Yue master choices.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gyges posted:

It's Chachamaru.

I forgot Chachamaru existed, she's great and the best.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

In Ch.254 Kurt noted how “physical attacks didn’t even seem to work” on Mega Dunamene Negi, so how did Rakan manage to damage Negi in Mega Dunamene form?
It was Rakan’s fighting spirit.

I think this is tied with Oda's 'how does Zoro talk with a sword in his mouth?' 'He speaks with his heart.' in terms of good answers.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I, honestly, liked Late-Negima more than I've liked UQ Holder so far. Late Negima felt like a real adventure with tons of weight and consequence, and everyone involved felt like big loving heroes. Yeah, Negi did a ton of the work near the end, but everyone else still was doing jobs, still was fighting bosses.

Plus, I kinda like Negi more as a character than Touta. At least Negi had a dream and goal besides 'make some money so I can go up this big tall tower'.

I do, however, think that this is changing, and that UQ Holder is getting better and doing a good job at ramping up. It feels like now that we have what feels like it'll be the whole 'team' of immortals, that now is a good time to start introducing bigger threats.

But honestly, I think I sorta even preferred the Mahora Tournament and fight with Chao more than I've enjoyed most of the fights in this. There's something to be said for a protagonist who constantly examines and second guesses themselves, and wins via thinking solutions, compared to Touta who when the going gets tough, goes generic Naruto/Bleach 'I have a monster inside me look at how strong it makes me'.

Fake edit: But I do enjoy that Santa got to do the final fight of his arc. That was pretty good.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Serious Frolicking posted:

Nagi was incredibly arrogant. Negi was absurdly modest. Touta has a more reasonable and moderate sense of pride.

Nagi also made a harem of all men. Negi made a harem of all women! Touta has men and women.

Touta truly is the bridge between Nagi and Negi

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Noble vampires aka 'high day walkers' are mentioned a few times in Negima - at first Evangeline is called one. Then later on it's explained that she's actually not, she's a similar creature made artificially by the life maker, but real ones did exist, and that she was actually a failure at making one and not as naturally powerful as they tended to be.

We never actually meet one in the series until Dana shows up in UQ Holder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Angry Grimace posted:

I will admit I have no loving idea what the point of this race is. I mean, beyond creepy fanservice. I don't remember what the stakes are, I just know its nothing all that related to the plot.

I thought that the idea was that the winner gets to be like, the recognized super champion racer who will go on to the olympics in space to race, which is basically Shiori or w/e her name's dream?

Is it really literally nothing?

• Locked thread