Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

FIU in Miami. I'm a Florida resident, though, and I never bothered getting a WA license or car registration. It'll be like I never left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

FIU in Miami. I'm a Florida resident, though, and I never bothered getting a WA license or car registration. It'll be like I never left.

Do you have bright futures as well? Cause if so, holy poo poo you've got it loving made. Bright futures money goes directly to your pocket if you're going to school on the GI bill.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Do you have bright futures as well? Cause if so, holy poo poo you've got it loving made. Bright futures money goes directly to your pocket if you're going to school on the GI bill.

Nah, I hosed away bright futures the first time I tried going to school. If I could go back in time and dickpunch myself from a decade ago, I would.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
EDIT: WRONG THREAD

NIGGER DEATH TURBO
Jul 4, 2013

by Lowtax

MancXVI posted:

If I could go back in time and dickpunch myself from a decade ago, I would.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

If I could go back in time and dickpunch myself from a decade ago, I would.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
I Was There flimshop

This free workshop is for servicemen dealing with veterans coping from PTSD and other combat-related injuries and illness by having them teach the basic of film-making by collaborating with other soldiers to conceive and produce short films that help them make sense of the traumatic and overwhelming experiences associated with their deployment and transition home.

Hosted by General Patton's grandson, Benjamin Patton, they travel around military installations to set up their workshops. The veterans I talked to that attended the one at Ft. Meade last week said that they enjoyed it because they were able to produce small films with their groups dealing with their demons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:siren:For all of those questioning how the looming shutdown will affect VA items:siren:

http://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Field_Guide_20130927.pdf

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The VA is funded a year ahead so there should be no problems except the usual ones.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
What's the process for signing up for TAMP if you are going from AD to guard? Had a classmate just mention this yesterday and I would like to get the ball rolling.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Go to your clinic's Patient Administration section. There's a small paperwork packet. You may also need a new ID card. I think that was it, but for the record I haven't had any coffee yet.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Not sure if this would be better in the educational thread or this one, but I am about to get out of the Army with a pretty decent disability percentage. I am planning on going to school when I get out and am open to just about anywhere. My wife and I have been looking at Colorado State, Oregon State and Arizona State a lot. I would like to find a school with a good engineering program in a state with nice veterans benefits.

I heard some states only give the good benefits to veterans who have their home of record as that state when you get out of the service. Are there any good states that I should start trying to establish residency in? Right now I am a Virginia resident.

I am also curious how acceptance for adults / veterans works at a lot of universities. I imagine results will vary based on the school, but do most schools usually make adults take the SAT/ACT or are there different acceptance criteria for people who have been out of school for over a decade?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

First off, you can't change your HOR. You can change residency, which can be important for tuition purposes. The only programs that matter where you entered into service are things like Texas' Hazelwood act that covers your tuition at public schools in the event that your GI bill money runs out.

Quite a few states give in-state tuition rates for vets. It's definitely important to check on these because there is a max to GI bill payments for out of state tuition that you might pass. If I wasn't paying in-state rates at FSU law right now, I'd be a few grand out of pocket for school.

If you've never had any college, I'd strongly recommend starting at a community college of somesort. Your classes will be smaller, professors will give a poo poo, it's cheaper, and the admission standards are next to non-existant. You'll certainly have to take a placement test of some kind to figure out what level of classes you'll start in. After you finish your associates, basically any public school in the state will auto-accept you regardless of tests. Private schools can be different, but you'll get covered regardless. As a vet, you'll find that it's easier to get accepted into certain schools anyways.

Since you're going to be rated higher than 20% service connected, you should also look into vocational rehab. There are more benefits than just the post-911 GI bill alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 8, 2013

YeOldeCripple
Nov 7, 2013
EDIT: posted to wrong thread meant for benefits thread, wrong tab

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
I'm still trying to get my TAMP sorted out. Went last week and after going to get ID card and DEERS verification (waiting) the civilians in tricare went home early. My only free day is Thursday so I go to tricare and they tell me I am not "TAMP eligible in deers" So I go back to deers and they tell me that my separation orders/ dd214 codes wasn't put into the system even though it's showing me as guard and I have my guard ID card. At this point it's 10 minutes before tricare dudes go home and they tell me that they have to call San Antonio to make sure the codes are correct. The part that confuses me is that I don't qualify for TAMP due to separation, I qualify because of the transition benefits to Guard (6 months). I printed off the tricare page to show them and they are still concentrating on the dd214/ sep orders.

I really need to get my daughter and wife's hc setup. Also I hate tricare "we don't have an external line." gently caress you.

theWalrus
Jan 26, 2004

I'm trying to use the VA's eBenefits website to start a claim. I have a shoulder injured on deployment that now requires surgery.

When I log in and do the start benefits thing, it says that my login information doesn't match my records. Called the VA regional office in Nevada and they said that's a website problem, and then directed me to the eBenefits website help line. Called the help line, and they said it's a records problem and to call the regional office. Called the regional office back and explained that I was getting sent in circles and they didn't have an answer for me.

How do I file this claim?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Honestly the best way to file any claim with the VA is through one of the non-profits like the Disabled American Veterans. http://www.dav.org/veterans/

They are extremely knowledgable on everything and can help you through stuff that isn't immediately clear.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Honestly the best way to file any claim with the VA is through one of the non-profits like the Disabled American Veterans. http://www.dav.org/veterans/

They are extremely knowledgable on everything and can help you through stuff that isn't immediately clear.

DAV is pretty good, I used them and it ended very well for me. You don't have to be disabled to use them, they'll fight the VA for you regardless of whether or not you end up with a disability rating or not.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
So, I recently volunteered and went to Alaska to help out with some disaster relief stuff in an ultra-tiny village on the western coast of AK with Team Rubicon.

TR is a disaster-relief org that's made up almost entirely of vets and fire/ems guys. Unfortunately, after we got to Alaska and had everything ready to go, the mission got scrubbed last minute because of crazy Alaskan weather, but everyone I met there was pretty awesome. They're currently deployed to the Phillipines, and a bunch of other CONUS places.

I realize this sounds cheesy, but it's a great way to meet some cool people, and help out and have a goddamn amazing time. Check it out:

http://teamrubiconusa.org/

e:posted the wrong link, sorry.

invision fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 27, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Uh, so, there's no depth to that site at all dude.

Not knocking it, it sounds like a good idea with proper organization and structure, but that website is a whole lot of nothing.

E: you actually kinda spurred a bug into my rear end with that idea and I've been looking at something to keep me out of the house and start training Frank to work, so I emailed the local cadaver dog volunteer group and asked them about training. I have the rest of my life to work poo poo jobs in bars (if I don't get this other one) and be poor, may as well do something worthwhile with my time.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 27, 2013

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Fixed the link, I don't know what that other site is.

e: Also, I know, "hurr hurr volunteer firefighting", but if you're looking for something to do that's somewhat fulfilling, give being a vollie firefighter/emt a try. Just like the military, there's a lot of idiots and ultra-moto guys that have no reason to be, but there's also a lot of chill dudes that are good at their job. It'll get you out of the house, in shape if you're not a shitlord, and you get to do some cool poo poo that helps people at the end of the day.

invision fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 27, 2013

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
No one wants a firefighter with 3 crushed discs and a half numb leg working for them, and I sure as hell don't find myself fond of fire.

The cadaver/rescue training aspect is post-disaster but still prime for chaos. I'm obviously going to give it plenty of more time for thought, got a few months before he can be started off on it anyhow.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I did nothing for a few months after getting out and got pretty depressed. I started volunteering at a non-profit, which turned into a job there after a couple months.
I would really recommend engaging with something if you are out and floating around.

Also, Team Rubicon did a great job after the Colorado floods. No pay, but you get a cool hoodie for demolishing out basements.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

No one wants a firefighter with 3 crushed discs and a half numb leg working for them, and I sure as hell don't find myself fond of fire.

The cadaver/rescue training aspect is post-disaster but still prime for chaos. I'm obviously going to give it plenty of more time for thought, got a few months before he can be started off on it anyhow.

Forest Service firefighter jobs are basically the only sub-GS-15 jobs available around here. :(

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Godholio posted:

Forest Service firefighter jobs are basically the only sub-GS-15 jobs available around here. :(

You get to jump out of planes, set fires, use an axe, and then go home and slay pussy for being a firefighter. Perfect job for a guy under 30.

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

Chriskory posted:

I did nothing for a few months after getting out and got pretty depressed. I started volunteering at a non-profit, which turned into a job there after a couple months.
I would really recommend engaging with something if you are out and floating around.

Also, Team Rubicon did a great job after the Colorado floods. No pay, but you get a cool hoodie for demolishing out basements.

Vasudus has said it before but it's good advice: When you get out enroll at a brick and mortar school. Not only will you avoid diploma mills this way but it will give you something to do and help you get used to normals again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

You get to jump out of planes, set fires, use an axe, and then go home and slay pussy for being a firefighter. Perfect job for a guy under 30.

You forgot "live out in the sticks an hour or more from any town of 50+ people, and die in a forest fire or the ensuing landslides."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gleep gloop posted:

Vasudus has said it before but it's good advice: When you get out enroll at a brick and mortar school. Not only will you avoid diploma mills this way but it will give you something to do and help you get used to normals again.

You also get full GIB BAH. Online schools get half.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've been putting off following up on some denied items from my claim a while back, and I missed the deadline to comply with their response to my rebuttal because, ironically, I was back in Afghanistan and didn't get the "send us your info for a board we're holding in 30 days". But I figure I'll give a shot at playing catch-up given the documentation I have.

In case it hasn't been said enough: as you're about to EAS/ETS make sure every single physical issue you've ever had in the military is clearly noted in your record. Then even if you don't at all think you have a disability issue, go to DAV or similar and file what you have. If you (like me) get a letter back from VA saying "okay, disability for ABC, but we're denying DEF", take a good look at the justification for the denials. Several things I had denied, their reasoning was literally "we couldn't find your records [that day]", so I should've swiftly hopped on that with one of my many photocopies of my med records.

In any case, my first time I used Texas Veterans Commission since I was living there (they're state-funded), but they only help current residents. Is there any group folks would recommend more than DAV for a semi-recent veteran? My only concern with DAV is that whenever I'm at the VA hospital they're sitting there with a huge line of Vietnam vets slowly going over paperwork. I've got a job to be at, so I'd be way happier if I could just do this stuff over email with someone tech-savvy. Just write up an explanation, scan my records, maybe IM each other back and forth about it. Does DAV do stuff like that or are they dead-set on me having to go low-tech? I just hate dealing with organizations whose minds are blown by the idea of pdfs. Also it'd be good to work with a counselor who has some familiarity with OIF/OEF vets. But maybe DAV does that stuff great too. Suggestions?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've been putting off following up on some denied items from my claim a while back, and I missed the deadline to comply with their response to my rebuttal because, ironically, I was back in Afghanistan and didn't get the "send us your info for a board we're holding in 30 days". But I figure I'll give a shot at playing catch-up given the documentation I have.

In case it hasn't been said enough: as you're about to EAS/ETS make sure every single physical issue you've ever had in the military is clearly noted in your record. Then even if you don't at all think you have a disability issue, go to DAV or similar and file what you have. If you (like me) get a letter back from VA saying "okay, disability for ABC, but we're denying DEF", take a good look at the justification for the denials. Several things I had denied, their reasoning was literally "we couldn't find your records [that day]", so I should've swiftly hopped on that with one of my many photocopies of my med records.

In any case, my first time I used Texas Veterans Commission since I was living there (they're state-funded), but they only help current residents. Is there any group folks would recommend more than DAV for a semi-recent veteran? My only concern with DAV is that whenever I'm at the VA hospital they're sitting there with a huge line of Vietnam vets slowly going over paperwork. I've got a job to be at, so I'd be way happier if I could just do this stuff over email with someone tech-savvy. Just write up an explanation, scan my records, maybe IM each other back and forth about it. Does DAV do stuff like that or are they dead-set on me having to go low-tech? I just hate dealing with organizations whose minds are blown by the idea of pdfs. Also it'd be good to work with a counselor who has some familiarity with OIF/OEF vets. But maybe DAV does that stuff great too. Suggestions?

DAV worked great for me, as an OEF veteran. I only had to go to their office once to give up all my records and sign some forms, then never had to go back again. It didn't take long either, I think I was in there for around 2 hours (which included the time it took to copy ~500 pages of records). I started my claim within a few months of being out of the army though, so if you're outside of that one year window you may or may not end up having to sign another form or two.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

HClChicken posted:

Recently moved into a state that has many breed specific legislation. We have a dog that has been tested to have amstaff and german pointer. One thing about her is that people notice the bully traits (square face, tail, body shape). In addition she has very bully breed personally, very protective over her family and very loyal. The apartment we just moved into has BSL and doesn't apply because she's almost a mutt per the DNA testing we want to CYA.

She's gone through dog training, and we are doing more dog training to convert her to an apartment mindset instead of living in a house with a big back yard. Trying to teach her to not bark. Earlier today she was surrounded by a few dogs and she got very scared. She put her tail between her legs and then started barking at them. She didn't bite or hurt the other dogs but the owner of the three dogs started berating my wife "you are a bad person, you pot smoker, bad dog owner.." etc. Now we are both scared that because she looks like a bully and certain parts of Colorado are well known for stealing dogs and euthanize them without owner notification we are going to lose our dog because of bias.

That being said, this is my dog and this is the dog that I was really worried about while deployed. It really saddened me when I saw she was depressed and morose while I was gone. I really don't know what would happen if I lost my dog and so far I've read that you can get them certified as service/ companion animals and bypass this BSL. What type of information do you have for this process. I really don't want to lose my dog.

You'd probably get a better and more thorough answer to this question if you made a thread a thread in Pet Island. I find it appalling that they can just take someone's dog and euthanize it--and I'm trying to wrap my mind around how this is even legal. The (mostly) awesome folks over in PI know a lot about working with or circumventing BSL.

You can just get (or make) service/companion dog harnesses. It is illegal for any establishment or company (even an airline) to question its status or ask for proof. This would only fly if your dog is tremendously well-behaved and responsive.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jan 13, 2014

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

So finnally managed to get onto ebenfits today and holy poo poo. My claim was submitted on dec '12 and it says that the fastest my claim wil be finished by is nov '14. Im sure you guys get asked this all the time but is that accurate? I dont know if ill be able to make it that long, i feel just about ready to start tearing my hair out in frustration. Hope this wont require another trip to the mental hospital...

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001
Was your claim started while you were on active duty or as a veteran? What all are you claiming? What branch where you and where did you submit your claim? Do you have combat related injuries and were these documented in your claim, stuff like PH's, statements of fact, etc?

Because the answer to your question depends on the answer to those. It could be that all you really need is to get your congressman involved because you have an extremely compelling and needing case ahead of a lot of others that's just not gotten noticed.. Or it could be that you're victim to the same backlog a lot of people in the same boat are, just depending on your circumstances. In that case I wouldn't really recommend swamping some congressmans office as an effective way of resolving your issues.

Captain Amerikkka
Mar 14, 2013

HClChicken posted:

Recently moved into a state that has many breed specific legislation. We have a dog that has been tested to have amstaff and german pointer. One thing about her is that people notice the bully traits (square face, tail, body shape). In addition she has very bully breed personally, very protective over her family and very loyal. The apartment we just moved into has BSL and doesn't apply because she's almost a mutt per the DNA testing we want to CYA.

She's gone through dog training, and we are doing more dog training to convert her to an apartment mindset instead of living in a house with a big back yard. Trying to teach her to not bark. Earlier today she was surrounded by a few dogs and she got very scared. She put her tail between her legs and then started barking at them. She didn't bite or hurt the other dogs but the owner of the three dogs started berating my wife "you are a bad person, you pot smoker, bad dog owner.." etc. Now we are both scared that because she looks like a bully and certain parts of Colorado are well known for stealing dogs and euthanize them without owner notification we are going to lose our dog because of bias.

That being said, this is my dog and this is the dog that I was really worried about while deployed. It really saddened me when I saw she was depressed and morose while I was gone. I really don't know what would happen if I lost my dog and so far I've read that you can get them certified as service/ companion animals and bypass this BSL. What type of information do you have for this process. I really don't want to lose my dog.

Hey, so, Colorado resident who owns a big dog aggressive psycho dog here. I have no idea where you got this information from, but it is certainly wrong as hell. People own all sorts of dogs here and they aren't getting stolen from them and euthanized randomly. I don't have the effort to fully deconstruct this post (although I probably should), but I guess the answer to your question is "uhhh, what the gently caress are you talking about".

edit: Here's a list of BSL in Colorado:

http://www.dogsbite.org/legislating-dangerous-dogs-colorado.php

It isn't followed at all. It isn't state-wide. It doesn't exist where you live. And more importantly, it doesn't allow the stealing and euthanizing of random dogs.

Captain Amerikkka fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 23, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone have insight onto getting tax documents from the VA? My severance pay was initially taxed but should be non-taxable income now that the VA is recouping it from my monthly payments. My W2 from the navy, though, still lists the full amount as taxable.

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anyone have insight onto getting tax documents from the VA? My severance pay was initially taxed but should be non-taxable income now that the VA is recouping it from my monthly payments. My W2 from the navy, though, still lists the full amount as taxable.

Check with DFAS, they should have all your tax information.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I found out the details finally after calling around to a number of people. It is based off the St. Clair Decision. If the calendar year that you got your severance isn't over, then you submit your decision from the VA that includes the recoupment information. If that happens after the calendar year end, you have to turn it in to your local IRS office. The relevant document can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mq2xvfw6fho57kf/ST.%20CLAIR%20DECISION.pdf

LJONESRYDA
Oct 7, 2011
I've been using the VA healthcare since I got out but they sent me a letter this year stating that my free 5 years of care is coming to an end, does that mean I can't go to the VA anymore? I'm a little confused at what they mean. (served in Iraq for a year in 2005, medically evacuated because I needed surgical intervention, relocated to Dubai, after recovery I rejoined my unit in Iraq)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

LJONESRYDA posted:

I've been using the VA healthcare since I got out but they sent me a letter this year stating that my free 5 years of care is coming to an end, does that mean I can't go to the VA anymore? I'm a little confused at what they mean. (served in Iraq for a year in 2005, medically evacuated because I needed surgical intervention, relocated to Dubai, after recovery I rejoined my unit in Iraq)

It means that you're going to have to apply for regular medical benefits. You'll still have care, it just might not be completely and totally free (note: will probably still be free).

• Locked thread