Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Figured this might be the best place to put this, let me know if another thread would fit it better.

I need help writing a resume. I'm still AD and don't intend getting out soon, but I want to build one up for school prospects and just to have so I can update it, but I'm clueless on how to best capture my background, which is:

Pre-military:
6 years retail, working up to management
1 year as an accountant (not CPA)
Bachelor's degree
Military:
6 years military where I joined as an E-3, and made it to E-5 before I commissioned.
3.5 years as an Officer where the skillset is completely different than my rating as Enlisted.

I just have no idea the best way to put all this stuff in. I figure I'll get rid of the retail experience, because it was over 10 years ago and the other skillsets I have completely trump that I think. I know I can pull some good stuff from my OER's to put in that field, along with my position description, but I really don't know where to start.

Are there any good websites that aren't just trying to take my money? Or any place for decent sample resumes I could take a look at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
If you're outside of 150mi, you don't have to attend. You just need to follow the process on the IRR muster notice.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

nwin posted:

Figured this might be the best place to put this, let me know if another thread would fit it better.

I need help writing a resume. I'm still AD and don't intend getting out soon, but I want to build one up for school prospects and just to have so I can update it, but I'm clueless on how to best capture my background, which is:

Pre-military:
6 years retail, working up to management
1 year as an accountant (not CPA)
Bachelor's degree
Military:
6 years military where I joined as an E-3, and made it to E-5 before I commissioned.
3.5 years as an Officer where the skillset is completely different than my rating as Enlisted.

I just have no idea the best way to put all this stuff in. I figure I'll get rid of the retail experience, because it was over 10 years ago and the other skillsets I have completely trump that I think. I know I can pull some good stuff from my OER's to put in that field, along with my position description, but I really don't know where to start.

Are there any good websites that aren't just trying to take my money? Or any place for decent sample resumes I could take a look at?

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll shoot you a copy of mine if you want to see what one looks like.

I've been through taps twice and a job targeting college course so I feel it's pretty solid at this point.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

While I was in the Navy I was diagnosed with ADHD, can I still get treatment/prescriptions through the VA or do I have to shell out for private treatment? I'll be going to school in the fall, and I don't want to be cut off entirely. The answers I got from my chain of command were incredibly vague. I just got out and I wasn't able to get a clear answer while I was on terminal leave.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
What you need to do is file a disability claim through the VA for your ADHD. Get a Veteran Service Organization, like DAV or American Legion, to help you with this, because it will go much smoother that way. While you are at it, make sure to have them help you claim any other potential disabilities that you may have incurred.

Once you get your ratings back, even if it is 0%, you should be able to get prescriptions and treatment through the VA, but you may have a small copay. Your VSO can give you a lot more info about this than I can.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Edit: never mind

App13 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 12, 2015

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Is there a good online resource for info on Reserve healthcare?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Tricare?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Bank info got stolen. Got a new bank account. Who do I contact about disability payments that might already be processed and going to that account?

This also applies to the GI bill.

Cole fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 26, 2015

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Cole posted:

Bank info got stolen. Got a new bank account. Who do I contact about disability payments that might already be processed and going to that account?

This also applies to the GI bill.

https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/about/feature?feature=direct-deposit-and-contact-information

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

It is already processed to go into the previous account. Changing my bank info won't retroactively change a direct deposit that is already processed.

I'm on hold with the VA education dept right now and have been for 15 minutes.

I've also been staring at 'please wait...' for the same amount of time on the VA chat website thing too.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
So I have a friend in a strange situation. She was seriously injured in entry level training and processed into holding that would not be characterized as entry level training for five months. She briefly re-entered training, then was processed out again. After another month, she will be fully processed out of the military. Is there any way, shape or form she qualifies for 5 point preference?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

"DOD IG posted:

5-Points Veterans Preference Eligibility
You are entitled to 5 point veterans preference if your service was:
• During a war including December 7, 1941 through July 1, 1955.
• For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and beforeOctober 15, 1976.
• During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992 (See Note).
• In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Somalia, Southwest Asia, Bosnia, Yugoslavia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference (See Note).

Five points doesn't get you poo poo anyway. Too many dudes getting 10 for it to matter.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

No wonder I had no idea what 5 points preference was. I qualify for 10. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Please reference new thread for veterans issues/benefits:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750680

v/r
Nostalgia4Infinity

• Locked thread