Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Does anyone have experience with that VA-backed mortgage? My gut tells me its bad because it's VA but I'm interested in all options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I guess if it is a viable option as opposed to a traditional mortgage. I hear it'll guarantee downpayments or a portion of it. Is that true? Also how are the rates as opposed traditional mortgages? My partner and I are looking to buy a home in the next 12-24 months so I want to start doing my research now.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Carteret posted:

It is absolutely a viable option. As a matter of fact, this is probably the only thing that VA hasn't jacked up. You only talk to the VA to get a certificate that proves you have the benefit. You can even use it more than once! You just can't have it going on more than one property, and you have to actively be living in it. PM me down the line and I can get you some in-detail information, but it comes down to this:

VA Home Loans have a higher rate than what a bank would offer, but no down payment. You basically mortgage a portion of your down payment on top of the homes value. The only time you shouldn't use it is if you have the 20% in cash just sitting around.

Thanks.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Please reference new thread for veterans issues/benefits:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3750680

v/r
Nostalgia4Infinity

• Locked thread