Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Mr. Nice! posted:

Honestly the best way to file any claim with the VA is through one of the non-profits like the Disabled American Veterans. http://www.dav.org/veterans/

They are extremely knowledgable on everything and can help you through stuff that isn't immediately clear.

I've been putting off following up on some denied items from my claim a while back, and I missed the deadline to comply with their response to my rebuttal because, ironically, I was back in Afghanistan and didn't get the "send us your info for a board we're holding in 30 days". But I figure I'll give a shot at playing catch-up given the documentation I have.

In case it hasn't been said enough: as you're about to EAS/ETS make sure every single physical issue you've ever had in the military is clearly noted in your record. Then even if you don't at all think you have a disability issue, go to DAV or similar and file what you have. If you (like me) get a letter back from VA saying "okay, disability for ABC, but we're denying DEF", take a good look at the justification for the denials. Several things I had denied, their reasoning was literally "we couldn't find your records [that day]", so I should've swiftly hopped on that with one of my many photocopies of my med records.

In any case, my first time I used Texas Veterans Commission since I was living there (they're state-funded), but they only help current residents. Is there any group folks would recommend more than DAV for a semi-recent veteran? My only concern with DAV is that whenever I'm at the VA hospital they're sitting there with a huge line of Vietnam vets slowly going over paperwork. I've got a job to be at, so I'd be way happier if I could just do this stuff over email with someone tech-savvy. Just write up an explanation, scan my records, maybe IM each other back and forth about it. Does DAV do stuff like that or are they dead-set on me having to go low-tech? I just hate dealing with organizations whose minds are blown by the idea of pdfs. Also it'd be good to work with a counselor who has some familiarity with OIF/OEF vets. But maybe DAV does that stuff great too. Suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread