Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

zoop posted:

I'm trying to file for unemployment online (CA) but they require an address of my last employer (Army). Not really sure what to put down and I can't seem to find any info about it (called the VA a couple of times at the beginning of the week but no one picked up/called back and now it's a holiday weekend). Anyone know what address I should use? My last assignment was an MOS school so I don't think I should be putting that address down. Thanks.

I've put "200 Stovall St Alexandria VA 22332" for the department of the Army building when asked for that. I might just start putting my old unit's address though, since it'll actually be worth using :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

gleep gloop posted:

I don't know if they do anymore but they did for welfare and wasted millions of dollars on it. Some fascist states, North Carolina I believe being one, won't let you collect unemployment if you're a student.

NC is weird on this, because I was told both ways by people at the UI office. Either way the current crop of partytards just reduced UI to half of what it was. I think you max out at $300 per week and have to be able to show proof of having applied for a job to get the next week's $$, and have to have "2 contacts with employers" per week on top of that. Also, you can't refuse any job they offer you (because they have a job-hunting service that will try to pair you up with an employer) otherwise you lose all benefits right there, from then on. I kept it up for like a month early this year before I couldn't tread water on it anymore. Obviously if you're in school you can't accept a full-time job, so even if you're bullshitting it it's only a matter of time before you have to turn something down and they shut you out.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Honestly the best way to file any claim with the VA is through one of the non-profits like the Disabled American Veterans. http://www.dav.org/veterans/

They are extremely knowledgable on everything and can help you through stuff that isn't immediately clear.

DAV is pretty good, I used them and it ended very well for me. You don't have to be disabled to use them, they'll fight the VA for you regardless of whether or not you end up with a disability rating or not.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

I've been putting off following up on some denied items from my claim a while back, and I missed the deadline to comply with their response to my rebuttal because, ironically, I was back in Afghanistan and didn't get the "send us your info for a board we're holding in 30 days". But I figure I'll give a shot at playing catch-up given the documentation I have.

In case it hasn't been said enough: as you're about to EAS/ETS make sure every single physical issue you've ever had in the military is clearly noted in your record. Then even if you don't at all think you have a disability issue, go to DAV or similar and file what you have. If you (like me) get a letter back from VA saying "okay, disability for ABC, but we're denying DEF", take a good look at the justification for the denials. Several things I had denied, their reasoning was literally "we couldn't find your records [that day]", so I should've swiftly hopped on that with one of my many photocopies of my med records.

In any case, my first time I used Texas Veterans Commission since I was living there (they're state-funded), but they only help current residents. Is there any group folks would recommend more than DAV for a semi-recent veteran? My only concern with DAV is that whenever I'm at the VA hospital they're sitting there with a huge line of Vietnam vets slowly going over paperwork. I've got a job to be at, so I'd be way happier if I could just do this stuff over email with someone tech-savvy. Just write up an explanation, scan my records, maybe IM each other back and forth about it. Does DAV do stuff like that or are they dead-set on me having to go low-tech? I just hate dealing with organizations whose minds are blown by the idea of pdfs. Also it'd be good to work with a counselor who has some familiarity with OIF/OEF vets. But maybe DAV does that stuff great too. Suggestions?

DAV worked great for me, as an OEF veteran. I only had to go to their office once to give up all my records and sign some forms, then never had to go back again. It didn't take long either, I think I was in there for around 2 hours (which included the time it took to copy ~500 pages of records). I started my claim within a few months of being out of the army though, so if you're outside of that one year window you may or may not end up having to sign another form or two.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It's usually on the first of the month, barring the normal reasons for pushing it forward.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I didn't do anything related to the VA until I was in the IRR, but I never did any reserve time either. The VFW (http://www.vfw.org/Assistance/Transitioning/) would have far better insight into your options, or at least be able to point you in the right direction. There might be others that could do it too, but DAV and VFW always come to mind first when I think of transitioning and getting whatever is owed to you.

e: DAV link to find your local office:

http://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kawasaki Nun posted:

just had a back exam done today relating to minor but persistent back pain that's all documented in my service record and whatnot. I still have full range of motion and its really only an issue when doing actual labor. I'm curious whether I just wasted an afternoon at a sports therapy office because my understanding is that back pain is rarely if ever qualified.

Did get to skip class though which was p.nice

I ended up with 20% disability from my back alone due to 2 of my discs being halfway to gone, and my spine occasionally rubbing on the nerves that run to my feet (which gives random numb spots on the outer edges of my feet). Most days I don't notice, but if I do any kind of lifting (like moving furniture) I sure as hell notice it. It's possible to get a rating for it, but you probably shouldn't expect it to be too terribly high unless it's completely and absolutely debilitating. DAV helped me get my claim through and 20% for my back was (in all likelihood) the best they could do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Pandasmores posted:

I was wondering if there was anything you guys dealt with during TGPS or whatever you call the classes for when youre getting out in your branches. Im mostly lookinf at information for working in California, taking board certification tests and the benefits in between getting out and stabilizing as a civilian. Also what timeframe you guys may have had to wait for GI bill benefits. Dont want to have to take out loans because theyre paying out late.

I ETSed in Sept 2012 and my GI Bill was already lined up for school starting the next January. No wait for that to turn on at all, though I imagine that there's an application deadline out there somewhere on ebenefits.gov or on some VA website.

• Locked thread