Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
DFAS isn't part of any specific service, so that seems dumb to me. You might as well use 1600 Pennsylvania Ave since that's your boss' work address, or whatever the Pentagon's mailing address is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you're out of the military you dont get to milk the multi-state thing anymore.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I assume it varies from state to state, but here I had 60 days to switch over my license plates, drivers license, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Go to your clinic's Patient Administration section. There's a small paperwork packet. You may also need a new ID card. I think that was it, but for the record I haven't had any coffee yet.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

No one wants a firefighter with 3 crushed discs and a half numb leg working for them, and I sure as hell don't find myself fond of fire.

The cadaver/rescue training aspect is post-disaster but still prime for chaos. I'm obviously going to give it plenty of more time for thought, got a few months before he can be started off on it anyhow.

Forest Service firefighter jobs are basically the only sub-GS-15 jobs available around here. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

You get to jump out of planes, set fires, use an axe, and then go home and slay pussy for being a firefighter. Perfect job for a guy under 30.

You forgot "live out in the sticks an hour or more from any town of 50+ people, and die in a forest fire or the ensuing landslides."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gleep gloop posted:

Vasudus has said it before but it's good advice: When you get out enroll at a brick and mortar school. Not only will you avoid diploma mills this way but it will give you something to do and help you get used to normals again.

You also get full GIB BAH. Online schools get half.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think the usual choices are to either get a grown-up job within the 5 years or sharpen up your shiv and claim a good spot under a bridge.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The interest rate difference isn't that much, either. Unless you've actually got the cash for a down payment, it really is a great option.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It can definitely help. A lot of civilians have to go through other means to cover the down payment, like paying a higher rate in exchange for a lower down payment, or even getting an additional loan for it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Use your VA loan and throw that money at the principal. I worked with a guy who paid off his house in like 7 years by making an extra payment every month. You can save thousands in interest if you pay big money early in the loan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The only reason to go on base is to point and laugh, and hit the Class Six.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

"DOD IG posted:

5-Points Veterans Preference Eligibility
You are entitled to 5 point veterans preference if your service was:
• During a war including December 7, 1941 through July 1, 1955.
• For more than 180 consecutive days, other than for training, any part of which occurred after January 31, 1955, and beforeOctober 15, 1976.
• During the Gulf War from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992 (See Note).
• In a campaign or expedition for which a campaign medal has been authorized. Any Armed Forces Expeditionary medal or campaign badge, including El Salvador, Lebanon, Grenada, Panama, Somalia, Southwest Asia, Bosnia, Yugoslavia, and Haiti, qualifies for preference (See Note).

Five points doesn't get you poo poo anyway. Too many dudes getting 10 for it to matter.

• Locked thread