Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Zeris posted:

Entirely exempt? What if the comprehensive coverage is expired and you're only receiving coverage for documented disabilities?

Depending on your percentage you may be covered entirely for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anytime I needed to put an employer address I've always just put the address for the navy dispersing office that comes in on my W2.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HClChicken posted:

drat my state for only doing 26 weeks due to low unemployment rate.

Florida is refusing to give me anything because I got severance and will be collecting VA pay.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Doesn't florida drug test for unemployment now anyhow?

No. They started a program to drug test for welfare conveniently contracting the governor's wife's testing company to perform them. Cost the state a shitload of money and is currently suspended pending a number of trials. Never was the case for unemployment.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

Can anybody offer insight for applying for/collecting Washington state unemployment while going to school full-time in Florida?

e: currently ad, eaos end of october, start school in january

Yeah, you'll have to get FL unemployment. There are ways to get it while going to school so long as a workforce center certifies that you're working towards a job in a needed field. They will reduce the amount you get or postpone eligibility if you have any kind of separation pay or get monthly VA pay. FL unemployment is poo poo.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Florida it's technically 30 days, but they don't really give a gently caress in Tallahassee because of the school. What school are you going to?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

FIU in Miami. I'm a Florida resident, though, and I never bothered getting a WA license or car registration. It'll be like I never left.

Do you have bright futures as well? Cause if so, holy poo poo you've got it loving made. Bright futures money goes directly to your pocket if you're going to school on the GI bill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

MancXVI posted:

If I could go back in time and dickpunch myself from a decade ago, I would.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

:siren:For all of those questioning how the looming shutdown will affect VA items:siren:

http://www.va.gov/opa/docs/Field_Guide_20130927.pdf

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

First off, you can't change your HOR. You can change residency, which can be important for tuition purposes. The only programs that matter where you entered into service are things like Texas' Hazelwood act that covers your tuition at public schools in the event that your GI bill money runs out.

Quite a few states give in-state tuition rates for vets. It's definitely important to check on these because there is a max to GI bill payments for out of state tuition that you might pass. If I wasn't paying in-state rates at FSU law right now, I'd be a few grand out of pocket for school.

If you've never had any college, I'd strongly recommend starting at a community college of somesort. Your classes will be smaller, professors will give a poo poo, it's cheaper, and the admission standards are next to non-existant. You'll certainly have to take a placement test of some kind to figure out what level of classes you'll start in. After you finish your associates, basically any public school in the state will auto-accept you regardless of tests. Private schools can be different, but you'll get covered regardless. As a vet, you'll find that it's easier to get accepted into certain schools anyways.

Since you're going to be rated higher than 20% service connected, you should also look into vocational rehab. There are more benefits than just the post-911 GI bill alone.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 8, 2013

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Honestly the best way to file any claim with the VA is through one of the non-profits like the Disabled American Veterans. http://www.dav.org/veterans/

They are extremely knowledgable on everything and can help you through stuff that isn't immediately clear.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone have insight onto getting tax documents from the VA? My severance pay was initially taxed but should be non-taxable income now that the VA is recouping it from my monthly payments. My W2 from the navy, though, still lists the full amount as taxable.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I found out the details finally after calling around to a number of people. It is based off the St. Clair Decision. If the calendar year that you got your severance isn't over, then you submit your decision from the VA that includes the recoupment information. If that happens after the calendar year end, you have to turn it in to your local IRS office. The relevant document can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mq2xvfw6fho57kf/ST.%20CLAIR%20DECISION.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Every paycheck I ever got was from DFAS Cleveland.

You'll get regular paychecks up until the last payday before your separation date. After a week or two after you separate, you'll get your final paycheck from active duty. This will cover any days you have left plus leave sold back etc.

• Locked thread