Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

It may not be interracial, but it is black and white.
Helping Hands

I love dogs as much as the next guy, but why get a service dog when you can get a service monkey?

I give these guys money every time that federal employee donation scam rolls around, so they better give me a loving monkey when I finally get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

Not sure if this would be better in the educational thread or this one, but I am about to get out of the Army with a pretty decent disability percentage. I am planning on going to school when I get out and am open to just about anywhere. My wife and I have been looking at Colorado State, Oregon State and Arizona State a lot. I would like to find a school with a good engineering program in a state with nice veterans benefits.

I heard some states only give the good benefits to veterans who have their home of record as that state when you get out of the service. Are there any good states that I should start trying to establish residency in? Right now I am a Virginia resident.

I am also curious how acceptance for adults / veterans works at a lot of universities. I imagine results will vary based on the school, but do most schools usually make adults take the SAT/ACT or are there different acceptance criteria for people who have been out of school for over a decade?

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

GWBBQ posted:

One of my friends who's a veteran and has been in combat has been asking me for advice regarding depression, and one of his big concerns about past experiences with psychiatrists/psychologists that he doesn't feel that they can really understand what he's been through. Is there a good resource to find local psychiatrists who specialize in helping combat veterans and/or people with PTSD? He's in the southwest CT area.

Best bet would probably be a Vet Center. It looks like there are ones in Danbury, Norwich, Orange and Rocky Hill. There might also be more/closer ones.

Delizin
Nov 9, 2005

What you need to do is file a disability claim through the VA for your ADHD. Get a Veteran Service Organization, like DAV or American Legion, to help you with this, because it will go much smoother that way. While you are at it, make sure to have them help you claim any other potential disabilities that you may have incurred.

Once you get your ratings back, even if it is 0%, you should be able to get prescriptions and treatment through the VA, but you may have a small copay. Your VSO can give you a lot more info about this than I can.

• Locked thread