Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i found myself groaning going "gently caress off day job, gimme my shanties back."

Pro tip, kill every animal you see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009

Cataffy posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Bear McCreary has been doing video blogs for each episode, covering different facets of the conception and recording of the soundtrack. Besides the music being awesome and the interesting instruments, just listening to Bear be enthusiastic about music is so endearing, he's clearly the biggest music nerd (as is his crew).

This one is probably my favorite, featuring a wacky music historian talking about sea shanties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2x1UzL9FE

Thanks for posting this. I now know that the really unique sound that I've been loving in the music is an instrument called a Hurdy Gurdy.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

3Romeo posted:

Whelp, all the AC chat made me just buy Black Flag even though I couldn't get through more than ten hours of AC3 (which was a shame, because I really liked the Ezio trilogy). Besides all the ship battles, I'm looking forward to see how the characters like Anne Bonny and Vane differ from their counterparts in the show.

I just bought it, myself. I'm having a great time with it, and I really, REALLY didn't like AC3.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Re watching episodes, and I wondered, does anyone know if there are plans to release a soundtrack?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

10 Beers posted:

Re watching episodes, and I wondered, does anyone know if there are plans to release a soundtrack?

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Sails-Original-Series-Soundtrack/dp/B00HWF58EO

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Thanks! Ordered it, and now I need to find a jolly roger flag for my car! :yarr:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
The Black Sails facebook just posted this which I thought was pretty funny.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Cataffy posted:

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Bear McCreary has been doing video blogs for each episode, covering different facets of the conception and recording of the soundtrack. Besides the music being awesome and the interesting instruments, just listening to Bear be enthusiastic about music is so endearing, he's clearly the biggest music nerd (as is his crew).

This one is probably my favorite, featuring a wacky music historian talking about sea shanties.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei2x1UzL9FE

10 Beers posted:

I got done watching the season over the last few days and I was wondering the same since the music is great. The show is fantastic(because pirates > ninjas and all) and it has one of the best opening themes I've ever seen.

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Acquilae posted:

I got done watching the season over the last few days and I was wondering the same since the music is great. The show is fantastic(because pirates > ninjas and all) and it has one of the best opening themes I've ever seen.

Agreed. I've been trying to find a copy of the models to 3D print for that very reason, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

OptimusWang posted:

Agreed. I've been trying to find a copy of the models to 3D print for that very reason, but so far I haven't had any luck.

Which models? Are you talking about the opening titles? They're 100% CG.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Five Cent Deposit posted:

yeah someone linked a good article on the making of credit intro and said they thought about making real sculptures however they just ended up making it all CGI.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

This doesn't really affect their 3D printability in any way, assuming the result would be structurally stable.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Where do you think CG comes from?

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Flatscan posted:

Where do you think CG comes from?

Holy poo poo, way to be a condescending rear end in a top hat. I actually work on the show, and am intimately acquainted with all of the effects work on it.

And for the record, our CG is made from unicorn farts.

Five Cent Deposit fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 29, 2014

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That got hostile quickly.

Lord Tywin posted:

The Black Sails facebook just posted this which I thought was pretty funny.

It's always weird when 'official' things for TV shows and movies start using memes.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Agreed. I worked at a Christian games company once, and they tried advertising on reddit by posting memes. It just felt... wrong. And turned out horribly, as you would expect.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

dylguy90 posted:

Agreed. I worked at a Christian games company once, and they tried advertising on reddit by posting memes. It just felt... wrong. And turned out horribly, as you would expect.

I can only imagine the trying-too-hard-to-be-funny just emanating from those particular memes. Am I far off there?

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Holy poo poo, way to be a condescending rear end in a top hat. I actually work on the show, and am intimately acquainted with all of the effects work on it.

And for the record, our CG is made from unicorn farts.

He might be an rear end in a top hat but he's right - 3D printing requires 3D models, which is what I'm looking for. A physical model wouldn't help me anymore than a unicorn fart :v:

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's always weird when 'official' things for TV shows and movies start using memes.

It certainly doesn't help that the tone the show is going for is far more serious (which irks me but that's not here nor there). To be fair to the image macro however it really is the best way to go about killing people in cold blood.

Pyzza Rouge fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Mar 30, 2014

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
Yeah. Gates' murder really hurt.

Future spoilers, based on Treasure Island poo poo: Billy obviously isn't dead, so I just shrugged that one off, but Gates was a really loving great guy. His sitdown with Flint and Vane and Calico Jack totally endeared me to his character.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So many swerves in this final eppisode, so many shockers and so many questions. drat, this was a great show. When will it come back?

Flynt was a maniac with a feeling of grandeur that was way above the reality of the situation he was in. He also didn't care that much for the crew, he sacrificed them multiple times just to have his way and he wanted to steal the majority of the gold while giving the crew some crumbs (they'll waste it all on whores is literally his argument).

And yeah, the other ship would flee if the Walrus didn't engage and a Man O War would never reach it. Flynt was a dumbie.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

3Romeo posted:

Yeah. Gates' murder really hurt.

Future spoilers, based on Treasure Island poo poo: Billy obviously isn't dead, so I just shrugged that one off, but Gates was a really loving great guy. His sitdown with Flint and Vane and Calico Jack totally endeared me to his character.

This is a spoiler I'm quite glad to read.

Also Billy had some Popeye-sized arms. There's no sane pirate on that ship who should believe that a dude like Billy just loving lost his grip and fell. It looked like two bulldogs wrestling when he crossed his arms. Dude could probably pop my head off my neck like a zit.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

life is killing me posted:

I can only imagine the trying-too-hard-to-be-funny just emanating from those particular memes. Am I far off there?

Yeah, it was pretty obvious astroturfing. The CEO was disappointed when my coworker and I couldn't use our millennial super meme-making abilities to single-handedly save the company. Interesting job.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Meatwave posted:

Also Billy had some Popeye-sized arms. There's no sane pirate on that ship who should believe that a dude like Billy just loving lost his grip and fell. It looked like two bulldogs wrestling when he crossed his arms. Dude could probably pop my head off my neck like a zit.

Yeah, I don't know why anyone buys that he's dead either - even if it was a loving hurricane sweeping through the Caribbean he could swim to the shore with one arm and not even get tired.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

DarkCrawler posted:

Yeah, I don't know why anyone buys that he's dead either - even if it was a loving hurricane sweeping through the Caribbean he could swim to the shore with one arm and not even get tired.

Well, dead is possible. Even Billy's arms wouldn't save him from Flint shanking him a bunch of times. But "Oops Billy fell off the boat, rip"? Hell naw.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Meatwave posted:

This is a spoiler I'm quite glad to read.

Vane also looks weird as gently caress. It's like every day was chest and back day and he kept forgetting about working on his legs.

edit: he's a very pretty boy, to be fair.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Mans posted:

Vane also looks weird as gently caress. It's like every day was chest and back day and he kept forgetting about working on his legs.

If you ever watched the US version of Shameless, you'd hardly believe him as a fearsome pirate who beat up a bald bearded dude on an island who outweighed him by maybe 100 lbs.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Mans posted:

Apparently his workout routine is running a half marathon daily, stopping along the way to periodically do a fuckton of pull-ups, and it kind of shows; someone posted an article about it a while back.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Is Vane significantly shorter than the rest of the cast? I thought he looked like a roided Milhouse in some of his scenes.

edit: Well, the internet tells me his six feet tall, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Caufman posted:

Is Vane significantly shorter than the rest of the cast? I thought he looked like a roided Milhouse in some of his scenes.

edit: Well, the internet tells me his six feet tall, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

They must have hired some really beastly extras to stand behind him because Vane gave me that impression as well.

The guy who played Albinus (the bearded lumberjack pirate) is 6'6".

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Meatwave posted:

They must have hired some really beastly extras to stand behind him because Vane gave me that impression as well.

The guy who played Albinus (the bearded lumberjack pirate) is 6'6".

Albinus was like, what, one inch shorter than Dwayne Johnson? Guy was a loving beast.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OROB18bE9YM

I seriously can't stop listening to the intro song. It's so amazing.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Thaddius the Large posted:

Apparently his workout routine is running a half marathon daily, stopping along the way to periodically do a fuckton of pull-ups, and it kind of shows; someone posted an article about it a while back.

Yeah he lives in LA and pretty much stuck to body resistance type exercise/half marathon each day to get the look for his character.

So it's pretty much more in line with a triathlon type build than the pure bulk bodybuilder.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mans posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OROB18bE9YM

I seriously can't stop listening to the intro song. It's so amazing.

I don't know what it was, but I really, really didn't like the opening theme the first time I heard it. But it seriously grew on me every time since then, until I was actually listening/watching the whole thing every week whereas I normally skip every intro for all the other shows I watch.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

life is killing me posted:

If you ever watched the US version of Shameless, you'd hardly believe him as a fearsome pirate who beat up a bald bearded dude on an island who outweighed him by maybe 100 lbs.

I've been binging trough season 1 & 2 of Shameless for the last week and holy poo poo. In a show where everyone else is either crazy or an rear end in a top hat he's somehow the nicest guy ever. I keep waiting for him to turn out evil but it has yet to happen. :stare:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
NBC released a trailer of their own upcoming pirate show, Crossbones, with John Malkovich as Blackbeard (without an actual black beard ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJdrrHm3HhY

quote:

About the Show
It's 1715 on the Bahamian island of Santa Campana, the first functioning democracy in the Americas, where the diabolical pirate Edward Teach, aka Blackbeard (John Malkovich), reigns over a rogue nation of thieves, outlaws and miscreant sailors. Part shantytown and part marauder's paradise, this is a place like no other on Earth - and a mounting threat to international commerce.

Teach/Blackbeard has set his sights on the world's first longitude chronometer, a device that will change society, sea-trade and global business. In a massive attack on an English vessel, Blackbeard attempts to steal the device; however, Tom Lowe, an English spy working undercover as the ship's surgeon, destroys the chronometer before it can fall into his hands. Taken as prisoner to Santa Campana Island, Lowe must find a way to reassemble the precious device, all while trying to unfold Blackbeard's plan... a plan that includes a threat to the English throne even worse than pirates.

From the award-winning creator of "Luther," Neil Cross, and award-winning executive producers Walter F. Parkes and Laurie MacDonald ("Gladiator," "Men in Black") comes an extraordinary action adventure with an unexpected moral center where one can't be sure whether the pirates or the British crown are the villains.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Something I didn't realize until looking him up after watching Black Sails, Blackbeard was actually 38 when he was killed. Always imagined him as being older than that. Amusing that Malkovich has like 25 years on that if this takes place in 1715.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

John Malkovich as SmallWhiteGoatee.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

PlushCow posted:

NBC released a trailer of their own upcoming pirate show, Crossbones, with John Malkovich as Blackbeard (without an actual black beard ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJdrrHm3HhY

"If you loved Black Sails but thought it didn't have enough Pirates of the Caribbean mystical/magic bullshit and had too many interesting characters, then do we have the show for you!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I've been a fan of pirates since I was a child and absolutely loved that Hollywood and the public in general is getting back into them...but that may be the least interesting or exciting pirate themed anything I have ever seen. And I saw the second Pirates of the Caribbean movie. Hell, I saw Cutthroat Island.

• Locked thread