Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

VDay posted:

Yeah I don't really mind the character/actor since the pilot made it pretty clear that he's more of a conman than some rough pirate. We'll see where they go with it but I'm alright with him for now.

Yeah, they made it pretty obvious with his first scenes that he's an opportunistic guy who tries to lay low until he sees a chance to capitalize. The actor seemed fine to me, he showed some personality when he was first talking to the cook at the beginning, the rest of the episode the character was just going with the flow and observing poo poo. That wig he has is terrible though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

3Romeo posted:

i know the second season is generally (and rightfully) maligned compared to the rest, but it had some great moments.

edit: anyone have Spartacus.jpg? The one with Illythia slitting Seppia's throat while she's straddling Glaber?

Was that the literal bloodbath?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah compare the Tourney of the Hand to well any battle in Spartacus and tell me which is more visually interesting.

Yeah, I thought Spartacus was leagues better than GoT at things like making the background settings feel like real living, breathing places with actual populations and getting a consistently epic feel out of their limited resources.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Blastedhellscape posted:

Also, although a lot of people seem to think he's the weakest part of the show I kind of like Silver. He's such a complete and relentless snake, even compared to everyone around him and having a disarming, pretty-boy smile works well for that sort of character. "Hey, I'm just a goofy, loveable rogue. Pay no attention while I try to cheat you out of everything you own."

Yeah, I like him too. A character like his could easily get to be too over the top and I like that he's more low key right now.

CODChimera posted:

It seems like a few people missed this. AV Club gave it a D+ which is a bit ridiculous even before you see that Helix got a B.

That's crazy, I can understand if someone just doesn't like the show, but D's on AVClub usually go to poo poo that's objectively bad.

BlackJosh posted:

Jack Rackham might be my favorite character on the show. Both him and and the guy who plays Vane really seem to capture at least the myths that surround these two guys very well.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Where can I buy those sunglasses?

My favorite thing about him is the Brian Setzer hair.

Oh, also, I love the Mr T pirate that's been in the background of some scenes

savinhill fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 11, 2014

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

I like how Rackham was like, "I'll get back on my feet with my wits," whereas Vane was like, "I'll get back on my feet by murdering some assholes."

I hope we get to see more of that huge barbarian dude he kept hallucinating and Vane's backstory is as cool as I'm imagining it should be.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Those two guys were going to the gently caress tent together, right?

Pirate Code says it's not gay if it happens in the gently caress Tent

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Five Cent Deposit posted:

You'll see more of that big dude in a future episode, yes. Also next week's episode has a sea battle. :)

Reading this, I figure Flint's going to want to attack the captain who was supposed to give him the cannons before he gets them back aboard and ready to use, then I remembered Flint's ship is still beached and being repaired. There is Vane's ship, was that one beached too?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Caufman posted:

They should take the Urca as a prize ship and make a gently caress deck.

Why aim so low? They could make it a gently caress Ship, just imagine all the different sex swings and harnesses they could make with the rigging and canvas.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fenris13 posted:

There is no way of knowing for sure who it was, and while the blackbeard vibe was there, it seems if we were supposed to think that was him, his name would have been heard. When he beat Vane and kneeled down and said that he was proud of him, I got much more of a "Luke, I am your father" kind of vibe than just a random famous pirate.

Yeah, the dude was a former pirate captain who talked his crew into forming some kind of mini colony where they harvested and sold lumber. It seemed Vane was more than just a former crew member, by what you said already, and also by the matching brand he had with the black kid. What exactly that was wasn't made totally clear yet.

Anyway, I loved that episode and it seems like shits on now.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Svaha posted:

Silver:
"Randal, you are a loving puzzle.
Part of me of me thinks you must be the luckiest half-wit in the colonies,the way this all played out."

"Part of me, suspects there's something else going on here."

Randal: :saddowns:

Silver: "I'm forced to wonder if you didn't orchestrate this whole little drama, knowing it would corner me into securing your return to the crew. I'm forced to consider the possibility, that there is a lot more of the old Randal in that old head of yours then you like to let on. That you're no half wit at all, but a very shrewd operator, who's managed to gain the benefits of sailing with these men, while avoiding all the risk."

Randal: :stare:

Silver:"That perhaps, just perhaps, you're a goddamn genius."

Randal: :stare: "~PHFFFAAAAaaaAARRrrrRTtTT~"

Silver: :gonk:

That scene was so funny, just thinking about it makes me smile.

Tighclops posted:

I want more about Flint's motivations before I decide I'm totally against him or not. What did they accuse him of in England that was so horrible?

Something like having an affair with Mrs Barlow that drove her husband/his commanding officer to suicide I think, but that's from what a couple of different characters said during conversations they were having while trying to manipulate eachother, so it could end up being bullshit.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Yeah, that was awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Can't believe we haven't mentioned Cabin Boy yet. It has everything. Basically a retold Odyssey. And the guy that played the manager in Major League is in it. So you know it's good!

Yup, Cabin Boy was legit awesome

• Locked thread