Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Just went and took a look at Adventure Capitalist. I have to admit, I'm rather impressed that he managed to update the game in such a manner as to not improve even one single aspect. Even performance took a giant hit, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

LAY-ZX posted:

Just went and took a look at Adventure Capitalist. I have to admit, I'm rather impressed that he managed to update the game in such a manner as to not improve even one single aspect. Even performance took a giant hit, what the hell.

An iphone version is about to be announced soon. :effort:

And you're not being fair, I think the Angel Investor page is a step forward.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

senae posted:

And you're not being fair, I think the Angel Investor page is a step forward.

I wouldn't know, clicking that tab crashes my browser

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

LAY-ZX posted:

I wouldn't know, clicking that tab crashes my browser

And it's just so loving BUSY. I'm trying to read numbers and everything starts flickering at me. Jesus loving christ.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Sindai posted:

I'm pretty sure most of AC doesn't even render for me any more in Firefox, so :shrug:

Yeah, this. I have no buttons or anything to click on my screen, except the left side menu buttons and a bunch of tag-looking buttons on the main screen that were bunched up into the upper right corner. Adventure Capitalist is broken as gently caress right now.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Now I'm glad it doesn't work. That looks terrible.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
The font choice and size is just small enough to make most of the words hard to read. I was already running into issues remembering what names for stupidly large numbers are higher than others and I'm just giving up on that now.

I appreciate new managers that cut the prices for properties by 99%, but that appears to be the only feature added other than Kongregate coin store integration

Otherwise it's just a lot harder to use. Just maximizing their available space instead of cramming all the info into tiny boxes and getting rid of the silly buy icon would go a long way.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Blind Duke posted:

The font choice and size is just small enough to make most of the words hard to read. I was already running into issues remembering what names for stupidly large numbers are higher than others and I'm just giving up on that now.

I appreciate new managers that cut the prices for properties by 99%, but that appears to be the only feature added other than Kongregate coin store integration

Otherwise it's just a lot harder to use. Just maximizing their available space instead of cramming all the info into tiny boxes and getting rid of the silly buy icon would go a long way.

And you don't get any of the new content except an extra 2x on lemons until you're past all of the current content anyways, so it really is just a lovely mobile grab. I can't imagine trying to read that on a phone.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh god, that looks horrendous.

At the very least, he could move the buy button back to the icon for the business and get rid for the scrolling text for the money/second. What are the tags in the upper right even for? Why the hell did he make it so loving cluttered and busy? This looks like poo poo at the resolution it's presented at, and I can only shudder at what it must look like on the smaller screen of a phone.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh god, that looks horrendous.

At the very least, he could move the buy button back to the icon for the business and get rid for the scrolling text for the money/second. What are the tags in the upper right even for? Why the hell did he make it so loving cluttered and busy? This looks like poo poo at the resolution it's presented at, and I can only shudder at what it must look like on the smaller screen of a phone.

The upper right is where you choose whether you're buying 1x, 10x, or 100x at a time.

I don't like how when you choose the Upgrade screen, you cover up the buying item screen. I liked having both accessible at once.

I've pretty much moved on to Clicker Heroes at this point.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

It has been updated to be less outright terrible but it's not been totally fixed up to being as usable as it had been (scroll bars are still missing for one thing).

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Just in case some people don't know, there's a whole thread devoted to non-Cookie Clicker idle games now.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

mdxi posted:

Just in case some people don't know, there's a whole thread devoted to non-Cookie Clicker idle games now.

poo poo this shoulda been posted in here forever ago.

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

It has been updated to be less outright terrible but it's not been totally fixed up to being as usable as it had been (scroll bars are still missing for one thing).

The new UI for Adventure Capitalist is horrendous, but I supposed it's logical if they're making the move to touch-based devices.

The 2.0.1 update fixed a lot of stupid poo poo though. Using the scroll wheel works now, but it scroll like 5 pages at once so dragging is still better. It's extremely painful to use.

But it's still more fun than Cookie Clicker. :colbert:

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Cookie clicker would probably be fun if orteil updated it one tenth as often as every other person in the genre does.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If nothing else he should ditch this beta idea. I think everyone was expecting new versions to spend a few days in beta, not over a month. At least when he pushed straight to live he was motivated to fix bugs promptly. :v:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 6, 2014

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Eldercain posted:

Cookie clicker would probably be fun if orteil updated it one tenth as often as every other person in the genre does.

The Adventure Capitalist chatroom on Kongregate was hella pissed when the game wasn't updated for three days. People feel so entitled about their free games.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Sindai posted:

If nothing else he should ditch this beta idea. I think everyone was expecting new versions to spend a few days in beta, not over a month. At least when he pushed straight to live he was motivated to fix bugs promptly. :v:

The dungeons have been in beta for like a year.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Merijn posted:

The Adventure Capitalist chatroom on Kongregate was hella pissed when the game wasn't updated for three days. People feel so entitled about their free games.

I believe it. I don't think any of them owe me poo poo just saw for ortiel since he could have made bank if he were a timely fellow

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
So I'm playing Clicker Heroes and I have hit a brick wall at around 145. I am able to bank around 10 souls per run but I can't figure out how to ramp up the damage when there stop being new heroes and upgrades to buy.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Ancients are how you ramp it up, Libertas and Siyalatas are great for instance.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Slifter posted:

So I'm playing Clicker Heroes and I have hit a brick wall at around 145. I am able to bank around 10 souls per run but I can't figure out how to ramp up the damage when there stop being new heroes and upgrades to buy.

There's definitely a wall around this point. I definitely had to do several runs where I was getting 10ish or so a run. Libertas and Siyalatas are great. If you've got a maxed out Vaagur then you might be able to break through to 200 or so and get some gilded heroes.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Slifter posted:

Starting at level 200, every hero's DPS multiplies by 4 for every 25 levels, and by 10 for every 1,000. Get Treebeast up to level 1,000 and watch your DPS soar.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

For clarification since some people have been confused by this in the past, that's hero level 200 and not game level 200.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Getting Vaguur leveled up so you can can do the Energize-Dark Ritual-Reload-Energize-Reload-[15 minutes where you can use your other skills] thing is huge for being able to push. You can also use Energize to boost Clickstorm and then blow your other skills to push past bosses.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LAY-ZX posted:

Starting at level 200, every hero's DPS multiplies by 4 for every 25 levels, and by 10 for every 1,000. Get Treebeast up to level 1,000 and watch your DPS soar.

This, definitely. There's still a little gap where you can't get the first few heroes past 900. Once you're over that gap you'll be making 50-100 souls per run.

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This, definitely. There's still a little gap where you can't get the first few heroes past 900. Once you're over that gap you'll be making 50-100 souls per run.

Yeah, this is where I have been. So I do have a Vaagur at -50% as well as the option to get Libertas for 8 souls with 30 souls in the bank. What is the most efficient method to start ramping up?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Slifter posted:

Yeah, this is where I have been. So I do have a Vaagur at -50% as well as the option to get Libertas for 8 souls with 30 souls in the bank. What is the most efficient method to start ramping up?

3 Levels of Libertas will give you an 18% boost over keeping the souls.

http://repl.it/0c3/233
code:
Trying to buy libertas

hero_souls = 17   # -13
argaiv     = 0
atman      = 0
dogcog     = 0
dora       = 0
fortuna    = 0
libertas   = 3   # +3
mammon     = 0
mimzee     = 0
morgulis   = 0
siyalatas  = 0
solomon    = 0
Improvement: 18.13 %

Advice: BUY

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How high a level do you need to clear for that? I can do 200 and I still only get 20-30 per run.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sindai posted:

How high a level do you need to clear for that? I can do 200 and I still only get 20-30 per run.

Maybe I'm exaggerating. I do know that there's a big jump from the 150's to the 200's where you're getting more than one or two souls per boss.

Edit:

At level 260 I just fought a boss who gave me about 20 souls, I have a few levels in Solomon but things get better. 100-180 is a drag though because you get so few souls per boss.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Yeah, from what I've googled, you basically do a few runs to ~140, maybe 150, just to collect a starting pool of souls, then your next run, you get all your hero abilities, then focus on getting your lowest heroes up to 1000 one at a time, starting with treebeast. Each run you do, check your ancients and see if you can get vaagur, solomon, or one of the other good ones. If not, then wait till next run and try again. Don't bother rerolling until you have at least 40 souls because you'll otherwise be pouring those into any good ancients you can buy to beef them up.

I'm slogging through level 186 as we speak with a low 23 souls available and 32 waiting for my ascent, but I've got a maxed Vaagur, a level 3 Mammon, and a level 1 Solomon. For my heroes, I've got Treebeast, Ivan, Brittany, and the wandering fisherman all maxed and Betty at level 983 and climbing. Every boss level, I pop 8-1-2-3-4-5-7 and breeze through that, then continue on to the next one. I'm planning on hitting 200 before resetting this round.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Don't bother leveling Betty or the Fisherman to 1000, they don't have as many damage multiplier abilities as the other low heroes. Especially Betty. Just skip to Samurai.

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Sindai posted:

Don't bother leveling Betty or the Fisherman to 1000, they don't have as many damage multiplier abilities as the other low heroes. Especially Betty. Just skip to Samurai.

Pretty much this. Check if a hero is part of the 450% set, that is, has three +100% personal boosters and one +150% personal booster. Even heroes that have only 300% personal are still not bad, but Betty and other 0%ers are garbage. Level them enough to get their abilities and then ignore them.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I think I'm missing something or the wiki is just wrong. I did the following after I maxed my Vaagur:

-Use Energize
-Use Dark Ritual
-Use Reload
-Wait 15 minutes
-Use Energize
-Use Reload

Here the wiki tells me that I should have reset the cooldown on both Energize and Dark Ritual. However, Energize is still on cooldown. I suspected it was just wrong when Reload says "reduces the cooldown of the last skill used by 60 minutes" and doubling that would double it to 120 minutes. Was there a point where Energizing Reload actually Reloaded the Energize or did I do something really wrong? Also if the wiki is wrong, what is the best way to use it now?

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
No, that's right. It should take you 30 minutes to refresh Dark Ritual.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
To elaborate slightly, you should have 15m where Dark Ritual is off cooldown and you're waiting for energize to come up. Take this opportunity to spam your other skills and make progress, then go back to energizing dark ritual and energizing reload.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Here's the most fleshed out ancient calculator I've found. It even has an area to input your next ancient purchase to see if buying it is a terrible idea or not.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
I'm confused. Isn't there another thread for non cookie idle games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

The idle cookies won't get stale, or maybe I should say staler. :v:

Orteil bring dungeons and new buildings out of beta you hack

• Locked thread