Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I thought the whole point of the Mr. Myxzpltk stories was for Superman to outwit him. So what kind of story is going to develop from some omnipotent being egging on Superman's madness? Superman's fall due to the reasons laid out have been for the most part believeable. If it turns out that it was just some midget Q puppetmastering stuff it seems like a big cop out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

I thought the whole point of the Mr. Myxzpltk stories was for Superman to outwit him. So what kind of story is going to develop from some omnipotent being egging on Superman's madness? Superman's fall due to the reasons laid out have been for the most part believeable. If it turns out that it was just some midget Q puppetmastering stuff it seems like a big cop out.

I don't see where you're getting that this means he's some kind of secret puppetmaster, though. Like, I don't even see that as hinted from this reveal.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Idran posted:

I don't see where you're getting that this means he's some kind of secret puppetmaster, though. Like, I don't even see that as hinted from this reveal.

Well the moment Superman is in real danger from a truly powerful magic being the little imp shows up? I suppose it just could be another call back to the "Man who has everything" story.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Trast posted:

Well the moment Superman is in real danger from a truly powerful magic being the little imp shows up? I suppose it just could be another call back to the "Man who has everything" story.

No, that does probably mean that he's involved somehow, I agree with that; that he's in some way on Superman's side or something. I'm just saying I don't see why that means he's a puppetmaster.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Bat-Mite is going to be on Batman side and the comic is all just a homage to that one issue where Mr. Myxzpltk and Bat-Mite had a contest to see who was better.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

thebardyspoon posted:

Bat-Mite is going to be on Batman side and the comic is all just a homage to that one issue where Mr. Myxzpltk and Bat-Mite had a contest to see who was better.

I suppose it'll end with Darkseid clinging to a rock in the abyss, clutching a scrap of paper that reads, "Bat-Mite + Mr Mxyzptlk = Anti-Life"? :v:

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Idran posted:

No, that does probably mean that he's involved somehow, I agree with that; that he's in some way on Superman's side or something. I'm just saying I don't see why that means he's a puppetmaster.

I kind of read it like this as well. Mixi wants to see where this goes, so he's stepped in to prevent some of the heavy hitters from taking out Superman too soon. Either Superman is beaten (killed? destroyed?) by Batman and friends, or Superman becomes a heartless monster and basically gives up everything that makes him Superman. Either way, Mixi "wins". He's not a puppetmaster, he's just an active spectator. He's protecting Superman from the 'real' Spectre, who likely would have handed Superman his rear end by now.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I kind of read it like this as well. Mixi wants to see where this goes, so he's stepped in to prevent some of the heavy hitters from taking out Superman too soon. Either Superman is beaten (killed? destroyed?) by Batman and friends, or Superman becomes a heartless monster and basically gives up everything that makes him Superman. Either way, Mixi "wins". He's not a puppetmaster, he's just an active spectator. He's protecting Superman from the 'real' Spectre, who likely would have handed Superman his rear end by now.

That does make a good amount of sense. I guess I just had a kneejerk reaction since Taylor left.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Trast posted:

That does make a good amount of sense. I guess I just had a kneejerk reaction since Taylor left.

There is a good chance he left notes for where he was going and story beats he wants for year 3. Year 4 is where we will see where the new writer wants to go.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So speaking of Injustice, I was given the task of writing a list article on characters who should be in Injustice 2. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of talking about Captain Cold, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Red Hood, Static Shock, Supergirl, Bleez (who is basically a Netherrealm character design already) and "Batman from an alternate universe where he's evil."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Gavok posted:

So speaking of Injustice, I was given the task of writing a list article on characters who should be in Injustice 2. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of talking about Captain Cold, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Red Hood, Static Shock, Supergirl, Bleez (who is basically a Netherrealm character design already) and "Batman from an alternate universe where he's evil."

If he lives Constantine and Swamp Thing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Gavok posted:

Sub-Zero.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

Aside of the already mentioned Constantine and Swamp Thing. Firestorm, Amazo, Dr Fate and, I dunno, Atom?

Is kind of hard to think on characters that aren't Batman or Superman related.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

Sub-Zero.

I'd be more for that if it was Sub-Zero from his MK vs. DCU ending where he became the Batman of Earthrealm.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Either Swamp Thing or Poison Ivy could make for some neat plant-themed attacks. The games could play off the success of the Arrow TV show (and also his appearance in Arkham City) and put Ra's Al Ghul in, after all he does have some mad swordfightin' skills and being immortal has never stopped someone from getting their rear end kicked in a fighting game. Black Canary is basically an ideal fighting game character. Primarily melee, has a good distance attack and/or super in the form of the scream. Wildcat also works as long as I'm thinking of Canary. Don't know what he'd use for special moves though...

Oh, and Injustice 2 should totally use Ares again, but they should use Azzarello's New 52 Ares that dresses like a hobo and gets sloshed in the middle of the day.

e: Oh, and Alfred Pennyworth. His special should be curbstomping someone so hard his shoe explodes like he did to Supes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, Mxy reason for helping Superman while sound, is kind of weak. Specially when they mentioned the Multiverse. I mean, there are more Supermen out there, why Mxy choose this particular one?

The book is still a good read but is certainly a step down from Taylor's excellent run. Great cliffhanger though.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Gavok posted:

Prometheus, Larfleeze (with constructs for stances), Spectre

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Mary Marvel or Captain Marvel Jr to replace Billy maybe?

With Mary they can even do Evil Black Leather Mary Marvel as an alt-costume.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Gavok posted:

Would someone like a Tommy Monaghan be eligible/available in the universe of the story for an Injustice 2?

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Gavok posted:

Surely there's some way they can technobabble Terry McGinnis in there.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Gavok posted:

Amanda Waller, Darkseid, and I'm trying to think of who might work as a tag team like Smoke/Noob from MK Deception. Actually, that might not be bad for Booster/Beetle...

I could see a Beast Boy showing up as long as they don't get Greg Cipes to do his voice. Different animal attacks, maybe different animal forms as stances, kind of like Shang Tsung transformations that wear off after time.

I hate to throw yet another "superman" onto the pile, but I think Bizzarro would be fun. Give him the goofy versions of superman's powers. Ice vision and heat breath

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I'm trying to think of who might work as a tag team like Smoke/Noob from MK Deception.

Hawk and Dove.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

This week's Injustice was okay but it felt kinda bloated, like the content of the issue could've been tightened up by a few pages and given more room for plot or character development instead of repeating the Team Supes vs. Team Bats fight from last week and going a few rounds of the Myxy/Trigon stalemate to no relevance. I get the impression that Buccellato is coasting on Taylor's notes at this point.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

I hate to throw yet another "superman" onto the pile, but I think Bzarro would be fun. Give him the goofy versions of superman's powers. Ice vision and heat breath

Bizarro could be a costume or if they do the selectable moveset thing the new Mortal Kombat is doing (each character has 3 styles that alter certain moves) then that could work for one of Supermans.

Mirror Master could do the tag team stuff maybe? Would also be a Flash rogue who isn't doubling up a power set already in the game (Captain Cold and Killer Frost).

I really like Bizarro and Swamp Thing would be great, Darkseid and Black Canary as well. Plastic Man was always a favourite of mine though Martian Manhunter had alot of the sort of moves I would picture him having.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

thebardyspoon posted:

I really like Bizarro and Swamp Thing would be great, Darkseid and Black Canary as well. Plastic Man was always a favourite of mine though Martian Manhunter had alot of the sort of moves I would picture him having.

They could split J'onn's stretching stuff into Plastic Man's set and give him a different attribute that still takes advantage of his shapeshifting, like density control tricks or shifting into his native Martian form to change his normals or something along those lines. The Dhalsim tricks didn't quite feel right for him anyway.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Manhunter barely does any stretching or morphing as is. It's pretty clear that would cost way more to model and animate than they were willing to spend on one guy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jesus, do you have to be a negative nancy in every thread I post in?

:sigh: Yes, I suppose you're right, I forget how laborious creating morphing effects are for 3D models.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 4, 2015

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kurui Reiten posted:

Hawk and Dove.

Not that it seems likely on the slightest but a tagteam of Mxy and Batmite would pretty awesome.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'm not being negative! I was just implying his moveset could be expanded in the sequel if he wasn't a last minute DLC character and their budget is bigger.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Darkseid and Static are both in the mobile game

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I'm not being negative! I was just implying his moveset could be expanded in the sequel if he wasn't a last minute DLC character and their budget is bigger.

Gotcha, sorry for being snippy. I, personally, wouldn't mind if they dropped the stretching for another shifting gimmick because going all Mr. Fantastic really isn't a common mode of MM's shapeshifting to me, but I totally acknowledge that that's my own quirk. I'm a bigger fan of his density tricks and his Justice Lords counterpart turning into a four-armed Martian monster from JLU.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I want Impulse as DLC. Also, Jack Knight Starman.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sportsmaster, Matter Eater Lad, or Color Kid (my 3 favorite DC characters)

I love them because they seem lame as hell at first glance but they can be pretty broken in the right circumstances. Just give Color Kid access to a lantern ring, Matter Eater Lad is pretty obvious, and all President Luthor needs to do is make "Kill Superman" America's national sport and Supes will be dead by the end of the week.

E:

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 6, 2015

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Babe Magnet posted:

Sportsmaster, Matter Eater Lad, or Color Kid (my 3 favorite DC characters)

I would love all the Legion of Superheroes in the game. I would not be shocked if that is Year 4, the Legion comes back and tries to stop Superman.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

I would love all the Legion of Superheroes in the game. I would not be shocked if that is Year 4, the Legion comes back and tries to stop Superman.

The Legion would only work if Injustice were like Smash Bros and you could just have Brainiac 5 or someone as Olimar flinging all of the Legionnaires cause there's just so goddamn many.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So while Injustice it still has some really great character moments (the scene between Nightwing and Batman was pure gold), the pacing feels off. Three issues now and we still on a fight that is just dragging by now.

Mxy and Trigon are pretty much part of the background (kind of fitting I guess), Constantine and Fate just keep talking without doing anything and every time a side seems to get advantage the other just goes "not yet" and pulls a recovery.

Oh and we got another death Huntress

bobkatt013 posted:

Nope, these are the guys billed as Year 4 "protagonists"

"IGN posted:

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR FOUR #1 Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO Art by BRUNO REDONDO, XERMANICO and JUAN ALBARRAN Cover by HOWARD PORTER, color by Rex Lokus 1:25 Variant cover by MATTHEW CLARK

Retailers: This issue will arrive in stores with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

On sale MAY 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

Superman’s regime has been opposed by the Green Lantern Corps and by those who wield the power of magic, but the Man of Steel has emerged battered yet still in control. Now he’s about to face his greatest opponents yet: the gods themselves! Hera’s role in awakening Wonder Woman from her coma has drawn the attention of Mount Olympus, and these new players are about to test existing alliances.

Kind of an uninspired pick, specially since they aren't using Azzarello's take on them.

Plus, aren't they magic beings?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The latest issue redeems the entire post-Taylor run just for that hilarious panel of Batman nonchalantly smacking Billy Batson into unconsciousness while the ghost of Nightwing smiles and says, "I love you, dad."

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Going to be interesting how the go with Wonder Woman now that she's got some real blood on her hands. Up until now she's still held herself above everyone else on team Superjerk.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Trast posted:

Going to be interesting how the go with Wonder Woman now that she's got some real blood on her hands. Up until now she's still held herself above everyone else on team Superjerk.

Yeah, it's just too bad that moment and the Deadwing Billy KO thing could've happened two issues ago minus the 40 pages of filler fight sequences inbetween.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Injustice Year Three ended and despite being a bit too heavy on Deus Ex Machinas it was a good ending. A great one if you see this like Constantine's story.

I think the biggest offense is the amount of padding the story suffered at the end, with any luck Buccelato will be able to compensate on Year 4. It should be the final year anyways yes? Year five is when the game events happen.

• Locked thread