Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Marvel should really come right out and say it: whatever happens in a What If, Spider-Man and Nightcrawler are probably dead as hell. The rest of the Marvel Universe is iffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also I am so sick of Wonder Woman/Superman pairing in elseworlds (and the stupid reboot) why do people keep trotting it out?

Larry Niven has a lot to answer for.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Also, the last pages in #34 are a complete loving gut punch.

"We're sorry we hosed up raising your son."
"I'm sorry you had to try."

Brutal.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Hollis posted:

Yeah but I mean I really think Warren was purposefully doing that , I really do think Ruins was written as a joke and a black comedy.

To this day, if someone bitches at Ellis about RUINS, he will insist it's a comedy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is he lying? Everything in it is basically a dead baby joke.

It's just the kind of thing he wrote back then. '90s Ellis was a loving punk.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Gavok posted:

Then that issue came out and the Newer Fantastic Four told Adam Warlock to gently caress off and ended with Wolverine defeating Thanos by disarming him. I had to email Wanderer immediately after reading the issue to ask if he willed it into existence.

I'm still a little bummed that Wolverine lopping off Thanos's arm didn't become a ruined-moment superstar panel. He looks so loving happy to be dismembering a dude.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yeah, that's the trend with the Big Two alternate universes.

In DC, everything ends up just the same somehow.

In Marvel, if anything changes at all, everyone dies. Especially Spider-Man and Nightcrawler.

I have a perverse desire to pitch a story in which every character in the MU has either been killed or turned into a homicidal lunatic except Spider-Man, Nightcrawler, and maybe the Beast.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Yvonmukluk posted:

Wasn't in the Silver Age Guardians of the Galaxy series (the one where all the marvel heroes had gotten killed off by an alien invasion) Spidey the last one standing? The aliens even preserved his body out of respect.

It wasn't the Silver Age. It was something like 1993.

But yeah, I know the one you're talking about. The page of the last heroes standing still sticks out in my mind, as it was Spider-Man, Thor, and a badly wounded Hulk facing the aliens for one last stand.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The miniseries would redeem itself pretty damned quick if it turned out that one of the OG Avengers not being around from the start turned the entire MU into sunshine and lollipops forever.

Probably Tony. "Pepper inherited his shares in Stark Industries and now everything is great."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I'm not going to lie. I would read at least four issues about Natasha Romanov, Goddess of Thunder.

The book could've stood to have explained how she got a mulligan on picking up the hammer, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

You know, it's crazy, but I think What If: Age of Ultron #4 is one of the rare What Ifs where everything works out more or less for the better.

I was really expecting something terrible to happen and nothing did.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Spoilers?

The Illuminati decide to make Frank Castle the new Captain America in an attempt to bring some hope back to American society, which has gone to hell without Cap to prevent all those anti-America terrorist plots. Reed cooks up a new version of the super-soldier serum and gives it to Castle, who proceeds to make his debut fighting a bunch of handy Doombots.

Captain Castle manages to beat the hell out of a lot of Cap's villains, prevents Nitro from blowing up Stamford, and becomes so popular that the Initiative turns him into a franchise, with a new Captain America in every state, many of whom are women and/or people of color.

Twenty years later, Castle's peacefully retired and a little girl in the neighborhood gets inspired to follow in his footsteps when she grows up. The end.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I think it's pretty obvious from context, though, that without Cap around, Tony is a nearly complete son of a bitch. They mention at one point that he runs Stark-Stane Industries, which suggests he and Obadiah didn't have anywhere near as much of a difference of opinion.

Really, that's another What If that would support more than just the one issue. I'm just pleasantly surprised that it wasn't the fourth apocalypse in a row.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

A backdoor pitch for a new Exiles series, featuring Old Sailor Logan, Natasha the Goddess of Thunder, Silver Age Wasp, and Sort Of American Dream But Not Really.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Nah, not really. For example, the original What If about Spider-Man's clone surviving does not result in anyone's death and just means Peter Parker has a spare himself running around, a little bit like how Silver Age Superman had a bunch of robots of himself. It's just a different story, and isn't an excuse to bump off half the characters in the line.

Last week's What If starts with Captain America dying before he's defrosted, yes, but ends up with Frank Castle preventing at least one major disaster, then quietly retiring and inspiring at least one new generation to become superheroes. It's as happy an ending as one could expect from a Punisher story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Back before the New 52 kind of killed my interest in DC, I was working on a pitch for an Elseworld about Oracle, where she snapped and went rogue over the fact that Bruce got his back fixed up after Knightfall but never seemed to work quite as hard on "fixing" her, which was sort of meta-commentary about main characters vs. supporting characters, etc.

The opening pages would involve a .txt file of every major superhero's secret identity hitting every computer screen on the planet at 9 AM one day without warning.

• Locked thread