Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Also I am so sick of Wonder Woman/Superman pairing in elseworlds (and the stupid reboot) why do people keep trotting it out?

I'd be happy if they didn't keep bringing Lois and Superman together, no matter the circumstances, that's more egregious to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, the Wolverine and Punisher ones were great. Especially the Punisher in a really dark way, where he's not here to try and save anyone, or help the world.

At least in the Wolverine one it ended on a positive note.

Wanderer posted:

But yeah, I know the one you're talking about. The page of the last heroes standing still sticks out in my mind, as it was Spider-Man, Thor, and a badly wounded Hulk facing the aliens for one last stand.

Tell me more. :allears:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The Twilight Zone, but with DC/Marvel? SIGN ME THE gently caress UP!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Well they certainly did that with the jobbing out of Kyle Rayner.

That was literally his first appearance in the series, right?

Also have there been any Elseworlds in the Marvel style?

Like "What If Superman hadn't stopped Batman shooting ambassador Joker" storyline plot-twist type things?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Fair point, it would be fun for DC to explore a few of their bigger runs and take them in an alternate direction.

Thinking about it, marvel has done the whole 'transplant familiar character to unfamiliar setting' with the Noir series, and 1602 and such.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

Sinestro surrendered himself to Superman as a warning because the Guardians are going to go after him just like what happened on Korugar.

God I love his unreliable narrator bit about the 'truth' of Korugar.

Superman just eating it up while Flash was all "No this is the enemy why are you being so dumb?!" was great too.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
A super dark ending to an otherwise OK series of "What If?"'s

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Still not surprised each time I realise that my favourite DC book is an elseworld.

Why couldn't flashpoint have been this good?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I quite liked story mode.

Can't see things ending well for Black Canary in the next few issues.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
The one she'd already had?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
God drat Sinestro you manipulative bastard.

I'm not sure what Canary hopes to prove by showing footage of her blowing Superman out of the sky and then shooting him in the chest.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 12, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
gently caress this comic rules so hard.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
This comic. :allears:

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Truly alien civilisations are really hard to write and boring writers are more prone to consider 'space cop' as something tedius.

Then again, this is the same organisation that puts 4 of their officers on the one planet, when they have a universe to police.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Holy poo poo you guys.

Constantine is so unbelievably hosed and I can't wait to see how he gets out of it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Well Ragman just got done off camera while Constantine watched, he mentioned contingencies but none of them have come up sooooooooo.

Very excited.

Also read Year 3 you'll enjoy it.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I really really hope your guess isn't correct.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

It makes a whole lot of sense. Madam Xanadu mentioned said character had returned when reading Batman his fortune. The Spectre's been a lot more violent than usual and his actions questionable. The last issue ends with Deadman saying, "WHO ARE YOU?!?" as we see a close-up of the Spectre's pale smile. Plus recall how one becomes the Spectre in the first place (not counting Jordan).

I know, but it's just ehhhhhhh do something as interesting as the rest of the series.

Also I have no idea how someone becomes the Spectre. Suffer a great injustice and seek to atone for it?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
But if Peter is happy, how will audiences relate?

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, what a cool reveal.

The idea of Batman siding with Hell against Superman, and that Superman immediately called him on it was fantastic. That look of sadness and betrayal on Superman's face though :smith:

Next issue is Tom Taylor's last, and I expect such an amazing piece.

Cassa fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Dec 18, 2014

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Tom Taylor is knocking this out of the park so hard...

Everything is perfect. Question came up while reading this issue, about the dust from last issue.

It's like aerosolized Black Mercy, right? If so, interesting how Superman's ideal has Joker being murdered by Batman. I know that basically every DC fan has thought at some point 'yeah if Batman should make an exception, Joker should be it' but for Superman to think and want that to happen instead of how it all went down.

I hope the next few issues aren't too heart breaking.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah it's incredibly lazy writing, which isn't really what we've gotten so far.

Not like it worked on Diana when she was out.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
If it really is Joker I'm going to be rather annoyed at the laziness.

Why is Harley taking another super pill? Or is this all taking place before the annual?

Also I don't get why WW and Superman got so mad at Sinestro for attacking someone the wrong way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Because it came across as a twist for the sake of a twist. A lot of signs pointed to Joker and then suddenly it's the 5th dimensional imp because reasons.

• Locked thread