Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As a kid, the What If where Michael Korvac beat the Avengers and then proceed to take out all the elders of the universe really blew my mind. It ends with him absorbing all of humanity into him for one last big fight with everyone else in the known universe. He realizes he can't beat them, so he uses the ulimater nullifer on all existence. The book ends with Death opening her mouth wider and wider until you see nothing but inside her mouth, which is just the word OBLIVION. That's heady stuff for an 8 year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Didn't the New Universe start as "Realistic world except for this one event which causes super abilities" but mutated into your standard mess of unrelated fantasy and science fiction elements? Also was there anything in the New Universe meant to be an alternate universe version of anything in Marvel?

It was more the opposite. That was supposed to be the idea, but the first group of writers didn't really get the memo (and the books were spread across different editors). After a year, they consolidated the more successful titles under one editor and retconned all the mess stuff back to the same single source, which was the white event.

I was/am a huge fan of the New Universe, and the stuff they did after the consolidation was amazing and ground breaking stuff. I did a long post about Star Brand for the 'failed universes' thread but I don't have archives, otherwise I would repost it.

In a nutshell, the idea of Star Brand as a 'failed green latern' is way off. Star Brand is really one of the first "what if Superman was a dick?" stories. I don't mean a dick like evil, or like superdickery, but just someone who completely fails to use his gifts due to a lack of vision/laziness. It's also funny from a meta perspective, because John Byrne took over the story from Jim Shooter, and since Byrne hated Shooter, and because Star Brand already had some autobiographical resemblances to Shooter, Byrne took the whole thing to another level, which is how Pittsburgh got blown up.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Warren Ellis tried his hands at a New Universe reboot. newuniversal yes no captial letter, it died when his hard drive crashed and took a lot of his scripts with it.

Yeah, I really like the direction he took with it, and there were a couple of one-shots (Gillen did at least one of them) that were really good too. I thought it had potential to be a great series. I was pretty irritated with Ellis's lame excuse.

• Locked thread