Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I liked the Batman 'Book of the Death' one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

muscles like this? posted:

Isn't that the bizarre Ancient Aliens one? Where Egypt was ruled by aliens and the myths about their gods were based on real people. Of course one of their gods was a Batman-esque one and Bruce Wayne gets his suit.

Yeah, that's the one. I always found the premise really awesome and egyptian god Batman's suit was cool as hell.

To be fair I was ten when I read it for the first time and was my first elseworld ever :v:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I just remembered another one that I loved, Batman: Nosferatu

The art was weird as hell and to be honest I never understood fully the story but drat if wasn't cool as hell. I understand that it was part of a trilogy of Elseworlds on that same style but here Nosferatu was the only one published.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Syrg Sapphire posted:

You actually have the order wrong, and they WERE sequels in plot as well: Metropolis, Nosferatu, Blue Amazon. (You see some mention of it in Nosferatu, but by Blue Amazon it's VERY CLEAR this is all in the same world and these heroes are becoming A Thing.) Apparently a fourth was at least pitched but never scripted/approved.

Yeah, it was kind of weird when the Super-man came out of nowhere on Nosferatu and they started to reference a previous adventure of his. The fight between him and Nosferatu was awesome, though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Since this now the thread to talk about Injustice, I wasn't expecting THAT :stare:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hollis posted:

I really like the stand alone issues with the kid remembering meeting Superman and Flash's issue. Also Superman straight up beating Ollie to death is pretty insane .

How long is Injustice slated to last anyway? It really seems like the story is possibly nearing its end.

The print version has December's issue like the final one but the solicit ends with a 'By now' so probably they will launch mini series like with the Arkham line or maybe relaunch the title with another name.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

I'm almost certain that when Tom Taylor started writing the Injustice comic, he had a vision in mind and it took him 36 issues to finally get to it. And it is beautiful.

After Superman cripples Batman, he notices that the super pill Green Arrow stole is missing and the Batcomputer finished uploading the pill's ingredients to another location. Superman starts to torture Batman for information until Batman points out, "Hey, you're Superman and you're resorting to torture. gently caress you." Even Superman's taken aback by this realization. Then he turns around and ALFRED KICKS THE LIVING poo poo OUT OF SUPERMAN BECAUSE HE INGESTED THE PILL!

I imagine a meme is going to come out of this.

And I'm pretty sure that we'll be getting more Injustice later since this ended with a 'End Year One' :dance:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CzarChasm posted:

There have been quite a few Elseworlds stories where Superman flies off the handle and does his Evil God King shtick, was there ever one where Batman gets to create his crime free utopia?

There's also 'The Tyrant' a story on Batman: Shadow of the Bat where Bruce governs over Gotham with Crane as his counselor and Anarky as protagonist, leading the rebellion against his regime.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Assassin's Creed Batman book is goofy as hell because at the end Bruce Wayne goes to the Gotham Art Museum where they're restoring a Da Vinci and GASP! There's a Batman in the corner of the painting!

What was that one? Sounds really goofy on a good way.

picosecond posted:

That reminds me of an Elseworlds I liked as a kid. It was set in a future where Ras Al Ghul beat Batman. He puts out some plague that kills like 90% of the human race, then he dressed up his best killers from the League Of Assassins in Batman costumes, to kill surviving leaders and take over the planet. Bruce and Talia's son studies Batman's tactics and goes after them in his own Batman costume. I don't remember what it was called but I really dug it at the time.

Batman: Brotherhood of the Bat

It got a sequel some time later called League of the Bat, kind of lame since Ra's ends looking like a Klingon and he clones Bruce Wayne to fight not-damian.

Here in Mexico they published an elseworld called Batman: Abduction, never understood why it was an elseworld since it was regular rear end Batman fighting an UFO theorist. :confused:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CzarChasm posted:

Not much. His brush with death does not humble him, but instead drives him to be even cockier. He probably would have gone after Tim Drake for being too nosy, threatening and possibly killing him. Batman kicks him out of the Bat family. Jason spends a few years wallowing in self pity and alcohol only to re-invent himself as a new hero. Also, a villain in a kind of Sunspot/Reignfire twist. Maybe call himself Blackbird...

Technically, he survived DOTF and that's how he ended as Red Hood on the old DCU :v:

Besides, Jason only died because her mom sold him to the Joker. All things considered Jason was on the right during the enterity of DOTF with Bruce being a grade A douche.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Isn't like it was unexpected but still, poo poo. :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

Yeah, but I could buy the idea of him powering himself up, basically becoming Forever Evil Alexander Luthor.

Or Hell, to make it a real sequel, just establish that that world exists and then have Injustice Superman break out of prison, stumble across his world and now we have a serious World's Finest threat.

I thought that was implied with Regime Superman's shot at the end of Injustice.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The way I read that scene is that whoever is thr Spectre host was pretending to be Corrigan but now that he was exposed, all the bets are off :ohdear:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I SO didn't see that reveal coming on the most recent issue of Injustice

Nightwing is back!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean besides that Nightwing is in the game?

Dick Grayson is back as the new Deadman

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

As of Injustice: Year 3 #14, Tom Taylor is gone. He'll be replaced by Brian Buccellato.

Oh man :smith:

Why DC didn't offererd him exclusivity? He's knocking out of the park on everything he does.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Idran posted:

I'm not familiar with him; how good/bad is he? Should I just be disappointed, or outright worried?

He's done a good job on both Detective Comics and Flash but is certainly a stepdown from Taylor. At least isn't Marguerite Bennet.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo, this issue of Injustice :stare:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Iggles posted:

Yes, "it's a comic" but any suggestions on why the Spectre couldn't do anything?

If is indeed the Black Mercy, the illusion can only be broken from the inside. Not being magical on nature also helps.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

The new issue was fine until I realized that the writer completely forgot that Spectre was there. Seriously, he's there in the cliffhanger of the previous issue and there's no sign of him this time around. That's kind of a big deal in a big fight scene.

That was explained on the previous issue, Spectre can't get into the Tower of Fate. He can only transport Superman (and his team) to it.

Solid issue, was the guy on Arkham Jason Blood?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cassa posted:

If it really is Joker I'm going to be rather annoyed at the laziness.

Why is Harley taking another super pill? Or is this all taking place before the annual?

Also I don't get why WW and Superman got so mad at Sinestro for attacking someone the wrong way.

Pill's effects are temporary. They need to be consumed regularly.

As for the other thing, Superman's side isn't the most logical around.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

CzarChasm posted:

There's something from the game that kind of confused me and I was wondering if it is covered in the comics. Maybe I'm just looking at things wrong.

We have two worlds, A and B.
World A is the one we all know and love - Superman's not a murdering dick, everyone is alive and well as normal, this is baseline DC comics. The heroes are heroes and the villains are villains.
World B is the screwed up one, but it was split off from World A when Superman killed Lois by accident and then killed Joker out of revenge

The comics cover (so far) the 5 years or so where Superman builds up his powerbase, goes crazy and starts his bid for world domination/control. He either recruits or kills anyone who would stand in his way.

In the game, which takes place at the end of those 5 years, Heroes from World A come in and stop Superman and friends in world B.

But then there's Lex Luthor. In World B, he's Superman's Pal (sorry Jimmy). Or at least pretending to be. In reality, he's working with Batman to try and take Superman down, and he's close enough to him to get important information.

So, was Lex always cool with Superman in World B? Or did Superman buy into his own hype so hard that he genuinely believes that Lex is now his best friend since mean old Batman didn't want him to kill everyone who looked at him cross-eyed? If the latter, that seems like a really stupid move on Supe's part, to have one of his biggest enemies right next to him all the time.

Uh, the bit about Lex has been an ongoing plot on the comic since the beginning.

After Lex survived the explosion and was found by Superman he sworn to help him rebuild the work, thus gaining Superman's trust over the years.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

I SO DIDN'T SEE THAT COMING

Spectre is Mxyzptxl

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

FilthyImp posted:

Wow. That went peak stupid pretty quickly.

RIP.

How so?

I thought it was an excellent twist.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cassa posted:

Because it came across as a twist for the sake of a twist. A lot of signs pointed to Joker and then suddenly it's the 5th dimensional imp because reasons.

I mean, we're gonna get a better explanation on the next issue but the fakeout is actually pretty clever (being the Joker would've actually stupid since it would have a lot of plot holes and kind of go against the Joker characterization), plus the whole thing is in character for Mxy and within his stablished powers.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

While I'm interested in seeing the explanation, I dig the reveal. It's the rare mix of not seeing it coming, yet making enough sense that I feel like I should have.

Exactly! Is such a great twist and how you accurately mention, is more than likely is an homage/callback to "Whatever happened to the man of tomorrow?"

Although I can't help but wonder if the twist is Taylor final hurrah or is Buccelatto being a great writer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Gavok posted:

So speaking of Injustice, I was given the task of writing a list article on characters who should be in Injustice 2. I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of talking about Captain Cold, Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Red Hood, Static Shock, Supergirl, Bleez (who is basically a Netherrealm character design already) and "Batman from an alternate universe where he's evil."

Aside of the already mentioned Constantine and Swamp Thing. Firestorm, Amazo, Dr Fate and, I dunno, Atom?

Is kind of hard to think on characters that aren't Batman or Superman related.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So, Mxy reason for helping Superman while sound, is kind of weak. Specially when they mentioned the Multiverse. I mean, there are more Supermen out there, why Mxy choose this particular one?

The book is still a good read but is certainly a step down from Taylor's excellent run. Great cliffhanger though.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kurui Reiten posted:

Hawk and Dove.

Not that it seems likely on the slightest but a tagteam of Mxy and Batmite would pretty awesome.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
So while Injustice it still has some really great character moments (the scene between Nightwing and Batman was pure gold), the pacing feels off. Three issues now and we still on a fight that is just dragging by now.

Mxy and Trigon are pretty much part of the background (kind of fitting I guess), Constantine and Fate just keep talking without doing anything and every time a side seems to get advantage the other just goes "not yet" and pulls a recovery.

Oh and we got another death Huntress

bobkatt013 posted:

I would love all the Legion of Superheroes in the game. I would not be shocked if that is Year 4, the Legion comes back and tries to stop Superman.

Nope, these are the guys billed as Year 4 "protagonists"

"IGN posted:

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US YEAR FOUR #1 Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO Art by BRUNO REDONDO, XERMANICO and JUAN ALBARRAN Cover by HOWARD PORTER, color by Rex Lokus 1:25 Variant cover by MATTHEW CLARK

Retailers: This issue will arrive in stores with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

On sale MAY 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

Superman’s regime has been opposed by the Green Lantern Corps and by those who wield the power of magic, but the Man of Steel has emerged battered yet still in control. Now he’s about to face his greatest opponents yet: the gods themselves! Hera’s role in awakening Wonder Woman from her coma has drawn the attention of Mount Olympus, and these new players are about to test existing alliances.

Kind of an uninspired pick, specially since they aren't using Azzarello's take on them.

Plus, aren't they magic beings?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Injustice Year Three ended and despite being a bit too heavy on Deus Ex Machinas it was a good ending. A great one if you see this like Constantine's story.

I think the biggest offense is the amount of padding the story suffered at the end, with any luck Buccelato will be able to compensate on Year 4. It should be the final year anyways yes? Year five is when the game events happen.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

I'm honestly still unclear why he had to involve Trigon in his plan at all? Like his plan all along was Get Mr. Mxplyxk to fight Trigon , because....? Yeah don't get it.

His goal was to dick over Trigon since the beginning. That Mxy got also caught was just a lucky coincidence.

Gavok posted:

The game takes place five years later, basically making it "Year Six." So we should be getting two more volumes.

In related news, here's that list I did for Den of Geek of 10 DC Characters We'd Like to See in Injustice 2.

Interesting picks and you hit the nail in the head about why Jason could present an interesting angle to the story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but why was he trying to dick over Trigon?

He was taking care of any potential threat for his daughter. By the end of year three, the only mystic alive aside of John is Zatanna.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
The Injustice annual was pretty uneven.

The Constantine story was great and help to clarify some bits of year three, but the Titans story was awful.

It retroactively made Superman an even bigger jerk just because, art was pretty mediocre, the designs of the Titans terrible and in the end it was kind of pointless. Plus, Tim's fans aren't gonna be happy with his characterization here.

The worst part? Titans was written by Buccelato :cripes:

• Locked thread