Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Waffles Inc. posted:

Then part two is post-war, and the same crew are reunited to take down some super KGB agents. The leader of their new group is Clark Kent. All is well until it turns out that this isn't Kal-El, it's Zod. He punks Alan Scott by burning his hand off and everyone has to team up to take him down.

It's got a noir, "real world" sort of feel. I really like it.

I do remember that. My favourite part of it is Mr. Terrific is this broken down, semi-alcholic guy after his wife died, partially because Batman hosed up. At one stage Batman shows up to talk to Terrific, and he calmly explains that he sometimes spends days devising plans to kill Batman and describes one to him.

At which point Batman makes this face as he realizes that if he wanted to, Terrific could just straight up and kill him.

Re: JLA: Created Equal.
My problem with the story was it started with an interesting premise (all the men on Earth die, except for Superman.) And it wants to follow up on the societal changes this will wreck.
But it doesn't go into nearly any interesting places. It doesn't deal with how losing 50% of the Earth's population is going to cause a mass scale of shock and depression that can't be just punched into oblivion.
It doesn't examine what kind of societal relationships are going to form now that all men are dead. (there's no mention at all of any of the survivors starting new relationships with each other.

I guess what I'm saying is all the questions I wanted this book to explore it didn't. But fortunately Y: The Last Man, did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SynthOrange posted:

Forever ago I picked up What If?: Wolverine fought Conan?

Wolverine is thrown into the Mkraan Crystal during the fight on the Moon as Phoenix goes bad. He emerges in Hyborea, gets in a fight with Conan, who gets his hand sliced off and tossed back into the Crystal. Wolverine becomes a wandering hero sorta figure, basically taking Conan's place.

Conan emerges at the Phoenix fight, throws a rock at Cyclop's head, and then the Phoenix eats everyone. Short end of the stick there Conan.

The best part of that Conan What If is the last word in the story before the universe is eaten is Conan shouting "CROM!"

Fitting.

On the topic of What Ifs? it's not a major departure, but one I always loved was issue #41 of volume 2. Basically the What If has the Fantastic Four dying in their rocket instead of landing on Earth.
As a result of that one action, we get no Johnny Storm so he never finds and revives Namor.
No Namor means No Captain America.

But all that is window dressing, the main story is that Galactus is coming to Earth, so we get a issue spanning brawl between all the Avengers against Galactus and the Silver Surfer.
The highlight of the story (and something which I'm sure is in the Badass Panels thread) is Utah deciding to break all his vows and takes on Galactus in the way that only cosmic beings can do. Both throwing perfectly timed punches that collide against each other.

Oh and for some reason Dr. Doom and Nick Fury team up to shoot communists. It's the little details you have to love.

Edit: I knew it was in the Badass Pannels thread, courtesy of Gavok.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3280398&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=11

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Sep 3, 2013

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

That page, it looks like Doom has just stepped outside of his lab and is really admiring the sunset.

"Well done, Mother Nature. This sunrise pleases Doom, and as a reward I shall not deploy my Hyper-cane machine today.
Prepare tomorrow's daybreak with the same enthusiasm and the situation shall remain as is."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Never has anyone on the Internet succeeded at imituting Doom so exultly! It took me way to long to figure what what a Hyper-came would mean. I was picturing a super-tech version of a cane an old man waves at kids on his lawn.

A Hyper-cane is like a Hurricane. Only bigger somehow. And more dangerous. Possibly, it's a hurricane that shoots lasers and copies the Hypertime story arc in Superboy at people. Dr. Doom loved himself the 1990's Superboy series.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Hollis posted:

Spider Man 2099 is loving awesome and still is. So is Punisher 2099, seriously. It's amazing.

It's not awesome. IT'S ON THE EDGE!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I think it boils down to competence.

Aquaman does suffer a bit from having powers that are perceived as being weak. But what holds him back is a lot of the time (particularly in the silver age) he wasn't presented as being particularly useful.

I think if you want to make a character with "weak" powers interesting, you just make them really, really good at the things they can do.
I had this idea for a kind of Joke Elseworlds once which was Aquaman as a One Man JLA. The kind of central conceit of the story was Aquaman was the one hyper competent hero in a world full of incompetent guys. The humour would come from playing Aquaman as straight as possible, while everyone else were jokes.

Like the opening of the story would have had Aquaman saving the world from Doomsday. And I'd do it, not by having Aquaman outmuscle him. But show Aquaman decked out in a ton of hyper-tech having prepared for the battle. He'd figure out that Doomsday can evolve counters to whatever powers you use against him, so he'd try and turn that against him. He'd be wearing an Atlantian battle suit, use a sonic blunderbuss and fight a running battle, luring Doomsday down to the Marianas Trench.
All the while Aquaman would be using Posidion's trident to consistently increase the pressure on Doomsday until he's evolved an amazing defence against crushing external pressure and cold.

Then he'd beat him by teleporting him suddenly into space, which has the complete opposite problem of no external pressure. The massive change of pressure would cause Doomsday to explode and all the pieces be burnt up by the Sun.

I'd then contrast all this by scenes where Aquaman is putting together a JLA to help save the world from a new threat, and have Aquaman run into Wonder Woman who he thinks is an amazing combatant when he sees her block/deflect bullets with her bracelets. But is dismayed when he talks to her and finds out she's like a Valley girl and the block/deflect was just a fluke move on her part when she panicked.

Any way the point I'm trying to make is, the reason why Namor is beloved (aside from his arrogant personality) is whenever he shows up to do something. He does it. And he does it competently. Namor a lot of the time is written with a limited power set, but uses it well. And people respect that.

It's the same reason why Captain Cold is so beloved by comic fans. The guy is just a normal criminal with a gun that creates cold/ice weak meta human who can create cold and ice. But by making him competent enough to lead a group of super crooks, regularly pull off crimes and get away with them and to consistently challenge a guy who can run at light speed, Captain Cold has gone from a guy who SHOULD be a joke into a badass.

It's the same principle, really.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

The best part about visiting the Marvel/Dc's internet?

Getting a copy of "The World at War"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_world_at_war

Or taping about a week's worth of stuff on the History Channel.
"War Wheels of the Axis!" Would be awesome.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Distant Fires seems to be an attempt to out stupid JLA: Act Of God. Instead of God taking all the powers, it's just a nuclear war. And it turns out Joker's insanity is cured by the nukes because it's a superpower for some reason.

The Joker thing I was fine with. It wasn't that he was cured by everyone loosing their powers.

More that all of society had collapsed. All order was gone. And witnessing so much death shocked the Joker back to some semblance of sane.

It is important to note that this was a early (90's) era story, so it was before DC really started pushing the Joker as a crazy, spree killer. Back then he was just a criminal and murderer, and had some hope for rehabilitation.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

Weirdest thing about the story was that it was coming out during the initial Winter Soldier arc, right after the Bucky reveal but before the "remember who you are!" conclusion. So in this Elseworldian What If issue, Bucky is given the role of the racist Civil War general who later becomes the White Skull.

Yeah I remember that. And did Cap end up meeting a Native American who became the Falcon too? (Not to be confused with the Native American Falcon from Earth X...or the Native American Falcon type character who nearly killed Cap before they became friends during J.M. DeMatties run on Cap, called Blackcrow.)

WickedHate posted:

Thinking about it like that, the whole Winter Soldier thing must have been really dark when it first came up. Maybe if there's ever another Marvel vs DC event he and Jason can start a club.

Funny you should say that, at the time the Winter Soldier came out was near the same time that Batman was doing the Under the Hood arc. In fact the "Ruin the Moments" page here beautifully paired up scenes from both issues.

But yeah the Winter Soldier arc was really dark at the time. In fact it's darker than most people remember. At the time there was one really interesting fan theory floating around (that I think Ed Brubacker had to go "wow I can completely see where you guys are coming from, but that is not what I intended." when it was shown to him.)
And I actually re-read the arc after the theory had been pointed out to me and it could have fit.

Basically the theory was.... all the memories and flashback Cap has at the start of the arc are an attempt by Lurkin to put him off balance and are artificial constructs created by the Cube. (This was why the flashbacks we were shown were so different to any other telling of the "Cap and Bucky fail to stop Zemo's plan" tale.)
The entire Winter Soldier Op was likewise a plan to put Cap off balance, and the Winter Soldier himself wasn't really Bucky. But it was another person who was altered to look like Bucky to give him an edge over Cap.

Dark huh? It gets worse. The conclusion of the theory is that when Cap uses the Cube to "remember who you are!" in keeping with how the Cosmic Cube is an evil, malicious, monkey's paw it doesn't restore the Winter Soldiers memories. It just takes this Soviet Agent, erases his actual Identity and makes him just believe that he is Buckey Barnes now alive.

Now that was Hella dark.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Gavok posted:

Pretty sure the last one is Vision.

I actually think the last one is Ultron himself dying.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Lord Hydronium posted:

How do the Injustice digital TPBs work on Comixology? The first one says it collects Issues 1-18 (1-6 in print), and the second says it collects issues 7-12. I'm assuming that means that every three digital issues were condensed to one print issue, and between the two, they collect all of Year One?

I just looked at that. Each issue is €0.80 (apart from the 1st issue and the annual.) Each collection is €11.99

The two collections of year one contain 18 issues. (Vol 1 contains the first 18 issues, volume 2 contains the second 18 issues and the annual.)
Buying Volume 1 individually would cost €13.60 (each issue at 80 cent and with the first issue free.)
Volume 2 on the other hand would cost €17.99 (18 issues at 80 cent and the annual at €3.59)

So all in all, a substantial saving. I'm still curious as to weather they will consider running a sale on Injustice.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

There's an ineteresting interview with Tom Taylor where he talks about where the series is going.

quote:

At some point, will Injustice catch up with the events of the video game? Does this story have an end date?

We don’t really know at this stage, which is why I’m trying to give every year a satisfying ending unto itself. That said, the book is incredibly popular and sells well, so we’ll keep making it while people are still reading it.

http://www.craveonline.com/comics/interviews/760681-exclusive-interview-tom-taylor-injustice-year-2-year-3

Maybe this is just "give a non-committal answer that doesn't clash with the video game guys."
Or maybe it's a hint that they may be able to exercise some control over the story?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I am chomping at the bit for them to release the collection of Year 2, so I can buy them. The Year One collection was great, so I really want to catch myself up on the story.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

What's the name of the year one collection? Amazon has a few things listed, but it doesn't say "Year one" on it.

Unless it's just "Injustice" Vol 1 and 2, and I'm kind of dumb (a lot of that going around for me lately).

I got it from Comixology, it's in the Injustice: Year 1 part of the site. It breaks it down into Volume 1 and 2. And it just contains all the individual issues at a price that's cheaper than buying all the issues together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So Volume 1 of Year 2 of Injustice has been released on Comixology. A sure buy, right?

Actually not so much.

(Warning maths and economy time.)

So when I decided to get Injustice Year 1, I bought the two Collections on Comixology, as they were cheaper then buying all the issues individually. (As is normally the case.)

It worked out cheaper because each issue of Injustice Year 1 was three individual chapters, and priced at €0.89. Where as the Collection was €11.99.
So each issue of Year 1 (at three chapters) would cost €2.67, times Six Issues (issues 1-6) for a total of €16.02. Less the first issue (which was free) for a total of €15.13. And that was for volume 1. Volume 2 included the annual (which was €3.59), so to buy issues 7-12 and the annual on their own cost €19.61.
So buying all 12 issues (and the annual) of Year 1 of Injustice would cost a total of €34.74. Where as buying the two Collections just costs €23.98.

HOWEVER, Year 2 doesn't work out as cheap.

The individual issues of Year 2 are only two chapters, not three. And they are still €0.89 each. So buying issues 1-6 of Year 2 costs only €9.79 (when you factor in that Chapter 1 is free.)
However the Collection for the first 6 issues of Year 2 is being sold at €13.99.
Collection 2 hasn't been released yet, but it's likely it will include the annual for Year 2. Buying issues 7-12 and the Annual would cost €15.17. So assuming that Collection 2 of Year 2 is also being sold at €13.99 then it will be cheaper. But it's not out yet.

The Bottom Line: If you want to buy Injustice, but haven't done so yet I recommend buying the two Collections for Year 1.
For Year 2, the Individual issues appear to be cheaper, at least for the first 6.

• Locked thread