Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hold out hope that I will wake up and DC will announce that the New 52 was just a huge Elseworlds experiment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Mind posted:

Since she's trying to replicate the Teen Titans (and their power set), our "Raven" thinks she's uploading Robin/Nightwing into her boyfriend's mind. I don't think it's ever explicitly said that he's Batman, but he does have some fun with her thinking he's Dick Grayson.

She says "Bye Bruce." when she unplugs him from her boyfriend. It's him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

You know what's the shittiest Elseworld book written by an ex Python? True Brit. Superman is probably the easiest hero ever to make an Elseworld out of, all you have to do is have him land somewhere else as a baby. He's landed in Medieval England, and Amish Community, Apokolips, Gotham and anywhere else you could care to think of. True Brit is a lame comedy about Superman growing up in Britain suppressing his powers because apparently British people are all Dursleys according to John Cleese. When he eventually becomes Superman the tabloids smear him and in the end Superman moves to America because Britain is the only place with awful tabloids and that is a sensible move if you never get sick ever.

Plotted by John Cleese. John Byrne is to blame for the true horror of that piece of poo poo.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

So reading Last Son Of Earth. It's like a museum piece for Bryne's vision of Krypton. Got to give it credit for remembering Krypton would not be very hospitable to a human body. Plus character development for Bryne's Lara, always nice.

My absolute favorite.

DC had two whole years of Elseworlds Annuals, first with a straight up EW year and then again with Legends of the Dead Earth. Lots of goofy stories in there but some nice surprises here and there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ellis was being called "The new Gaiman" by Wizard around then so he got away with a lot of lovely writing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm going to believe that's how you get to work every day, Rhyno.

It's not far from the truth!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

The Captain Planet style Shazam from Flashpoint was a neat idea I wouldn't have minded seeing more of

I get the feeling we'll see some sort of combo-Shazam in with the new version at some point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Anyone know of Superman elseworlds where he doesen't just land elsewhere?

The previously mentioned two-parter from the year of Elseworld's Annuals.
Son of Superman
Superman Distant Fires
Kingdom Come.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Troy Queef posted:

But it did give us this glorious piece of art: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55zpDpTbAiw

I knew what this was before I clicked.

The Batman/Wonder Woman thing was an idea Joe Kelly had and they ran with it for a bit and it actually worked. I was bummed when it went to the wayside.

Plus that episode gave us the "that'll do pig" line which still makes me laugh my rear end off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

You know what would be amusing in a completely terrible way, DC 1984! Sorry I have nothing to contribute to DC Nam' but I reckon a Marvel version would be soundtracked by Dazzler.

Marvel already did 1985.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Think things like Age Of Apocalypse and Days Of The Future past count as elseworlds for the purposes of the thread?

Eh, those are stories that have been so massively referenced and mined for material that they're pretty much a part of the MU cloth. I mean the AoA characters crossed over to the 616 universe and Nightcrawler joined X-force for a few months.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

They're sort of like semi-detached elseworlds.

Speaking of which, wasn't there another alternate reality ruled by Apocalypse in Davis's run on the X books?

They call them What Ifs at Marvel.

And that was the Ages of Apocalypse and it was more like a whole bunch of realities.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

Rest assured, I'm well aware of that, I'm just in the habit of using both terms interchangeably.

If you keep doing this, Stan Lee will come yo your house and mix your milk and Oj together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

picosecond posted:

That reminds me of an Elseworlds I liked as a kid. It was set in a future where Ras Al Ghul beat Batman. He puts out some plague that kills like 90% of the human race, then he dressed up his best killers from the League Of Assassins in Batman costumes, to kill surviving leaders and take over the planet. Bruce and Talia's son studies Batman's tactics and goes after them in his own Batman costume. I don't remember what it was called but I really dug it at the time.

Fun fact, all the Batman designs in the boom were rejections from the core bat books post Prodigal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Ever notice a lot of elseworlds have "the only acceptable way of using super powers is dressing up and directly fighting criminals" as a moral? Want to use your amazing brain to cure cancer, gently caress you why aren't you building power armour.

In one of them Clark Kent uses his powers to become an athlete.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I wonder if the concept of Batman 66' could work for other characters. Like a Superman comic styled after Lois and Clark or a Linda Carter's Wonder Woman comic.

Did you somehow miss the era of Superman comics where they were forced to emulate Lois & Clark?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I only started reading comics in 2005 when they were forced to emulate Smallvile and Superman Returns. Tell me all about it.

Many of the artists at the time were pretty pissed because suddenly they had to draw Lois looking as much like Teri Hatcher as possible. And Perry White was suddenly obsessed with Elvis. I've had some great run-ins with a few of the writers who were overjoyed when the series was canceled.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

There was also this thing where they went after innocuous fill-in issues because they might have foreshadowed the Death and Return storyline somehow. I think the one with the Sand-Superman was one of them (either Jim Starlin or Walt Simonson did it).

That Walt Simonson Superman special had everyone thinking that the Death was going to spin out of it but it was just the timing of the release. If you look back through old DC comics there were internal ads announcing as far back as 1988. Walt even said he'd finished it and it sat in a drawer for years. Walt picked up some fill in and short story work and somebody remembered it was sitting there so it finally went to press.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mind Loving Owl posted:

How in the hell could the Sand-Superman story foreshadow Death? That was pre-crises.

No, there was a special released that retold it, written and drawn by Walt Simonson. Came out in 1992 but like I said, it was finished for years before being published.

People also thought Doomsday came from the end of Panic in the Sky when Brainiac released a large sphere into Earth orbit. Even though that plot was wrapped up a month later people still thought it was D-Day related.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 29, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

OldMemes posted:

There was some pre production work done on a Gotham by Gaslight game, but it was scrapped in favour of Arkham City. There are some very early proof of concept videos online.

For adaptations of Elseworlds, DC's animated films would probably be the best way to adapt them - with a niche audience they can do more interesting things. Haven't DC already adapted some Elseworlds into film? (Assuming that New Frontier is an Elseworld?)

Flashpoint sort of counts. Dark Knight Returns was at one point published as an Elseworld. They made some noise about doing Red Son four or five years ago but nothing came of it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

Triple posting to point out that this week's What If: Age of Ultron isn't very good.

As someone who hasn't actually read Age of Ultron, is there an explanation for the first page where Wasp just keels over?

It's still better than the source event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Premeditated Toast posted:

Yup, it's a two-parter actually, called "Last Son of Earth". Pa Kent works at a University and discovers that an asteroid is about to smack the earth so he sends his son off in a slapped-together rocket. It crashes on Krypton and Jor-El and Lara adopt Clark. He's feeble and has to wear an exo-suit due to Krypton's atmosphere but takes an interest in archaeology and accidentally digs up a crashed Green Lantern ship and takes the ring.
He eventually learns about Earth and goes back to check it out to discover that it survived the asteroid strike and now the survivors are fighting between a faction led by Luthor and a faction led by the Daily Planet. I can't remember the rest, just that it was a rather interesting premise.

There's also a follow up one-shot a few years later where Luthor escapes to Krypton. Those are among my favorite Elseworld's ever.

• Locked thread