Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Being the huge JSA fan that I am, one of my favourite Elseworlds is 'JSA: The Liberty Files'

It's a more "grounded" take on the JSA in the 1940's, starring primarily Batman ('The Bat'). The first bit has Batman, Hourman, Nite-Owl and Mr. Terrific hunting down the Joker (who in this is a German spook who has intel on a Nazi "superman"). Like many of these sorts of Elseworlds do, there's a bit of a twist when they eventually find that the "superman" is Martian Manhunter, whom Hitler has kept hidden away, so J'onn thinks that Hitler's worldview is the right one, since he hasn't been psychically exposed to anyone else. So Batman touches him and transfer his memories and the good guys win yayyy.

Then part two is post-war, and the same crew are reunited to take down some super KGB agents. The leader of their new group is Clark Kent. All is well until it turns out that this isn't Kal-El, it's Zod. He punks Alan Scott by burning his hand off and everyone has to team up to take him down.

It's got a noir, "real world" sort of feel. I really like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Not enough Marvel talk so here's something I've noticed. Aside from the fact they probably have the most What If stories, the Fantastic Four seem to be the only team where things are regularly allowed to turn out differently, but often for the better or at least not terribly worst.

Here's where I'll put my english studies to good use and half-assedly hypothesize why we're not talking about Marvel as much hah

I've always thought that one of the biggest differences between DC and Marvel is that DC heroes are based more on archetypes; they tend to be less nuanced and more simple than their Marvel counterparts.

As such, I think writers tend to have an easier time putting them in different circumstances. For instance, "Batman" is a set of easy parts: dead parents, noir-like, doesn't kill, bats, lots of planning; it doesn't take much for a reader to go, "aha! That's meant to be Batman."

• Locked thread