Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Do mobs of bad troops work in Infinity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pierzak posted:

Short answer: no.
Long answer: hell no.

"Mobs" do not work, yes basic grunts are good but you still need to use your head to make them work. Otherwise one well-positioned reaction drone or sniper will tear you apart.

Also, there are less than 10 bad units in Infinity, and most of these are simply overcosted or have better equivalents for common situations.

Alas, my plan to use a bunch of Metros is dashed!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
How good is the French stuff in Ariadna?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Gonna get into this game and play USAriadna with a bunch of bikers this sounds like a good plan.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I kinda want to play tohaa now because of ALL the link teams.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Sanguine posted:

Makeuls throwing eclipse/zero-v smoke go a long way to managing this. Sure, there's no smoke/sniper shenanigans, but instead you just put up a wall and do whatever you want.

So the +1B from being in a 3 man link team lets you throw two of those grenades, right?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Man i'm thinking about a more horde-y tohaa, using 3-man link teams to make lesser troops effective along with their super smoke.

Too bad the Tohaa TAG looks like it kinda sucks.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I'm going in. I just bought a lot including every tohaa unit, some painted, all primed for 300 bucks.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Gotta play without your easy 5 point orders when you play JSA.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PirateDentist posted:

How the gently caress do I defend against link teams? Playing Haqq, Azra'ils and everything else just doesn't loving last when I have to constantly face 5 dice of whatever. Playing 400pt Annihilation both games came down to Maggie and an engie hiding behind it, and something else prone on a roof. They were at least super scared of her, but I ended up having no orders to actually do anything.

Do I just have to be hyper aggressive in hunting them down? Everyone is using them like mad and I barely can fill out either sectorial to 300pts since 90% of my stuff ended up being vanilla.

Shoot them with templates. Use a dumb guy with a flamethrower or chain rifle because the template vs shot ARO fork is even worse for link teams. Also the non-leader link guys are fairly vulnerable to AROs since they can't shoot back and the leader has to dodge for them to dodge.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 13, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Tags will occasionally be really good but a lot of the time they will not get much done.

The basic tag template CB seems to use is kinda just a jumped up heavy infantry with a couple points of armor and a wound for a lot more points- the usable ones tend toward the extremes, the dirt cheap tags or the expensive ones because they offer interesting capabilities.

Most of the advantages tags offer have more to do with mobility than firepower or survivability typically being 6-4 move models.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Infinity has some really inventive mechanics but the amount of hidden info in the game is the one thing that turns me off of it.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Corbeau posted:

The hidden information makes this game IMO. TO, AD, deceptive Lts, camo shennanigans... it means you can't look at a table and (public) lists and say exactly how it's going to go down.

If the game can't survive people knowing each others' lists it probably ain't a good game. The only thing that really makes sense is the hidden LT, the other stuff just feels a lot more clunnky though I can see an Ariadna player handing an opponent a blank sheet at a tournament heaving a lot of fun.

I imagine when/if I become proficient enough and have all the units memorized I can pretty easily guess what everything's going to be and what the missing stuff is from the public lists but I don't know if CB really thought this mechanic through.

I think i'm too used to cut-and-dry public info games like X-wing and warmahordes that manage to have plenty of game with zero secrets in the lists.

The worst offenders are hidden deployment and holoprojectors.

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 18, 2016

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Corbeau posted:

See, I find Warmahordes incredibly boring (which is why I quit playing) and X-Wing has the same issue but (for me) gets carried by the theme (and by a playerbase who hasn't gone full shark, at least locally). They get played out much more easily. I only spent a couple years playing Warmachine before getting tired of it, and less for tournaments, but with Infinity there's stuff I've still not figured out tactically even after ~4 years of play.

The tradeoff being that Infinity has a near-vertical learning curve, and not just in terms of rules. The implications of each special ability and piece of equipment are huge, especially for defending against them, so a newer player has almost zero chance against an experienced one unless they're deliberately pulling punches (or critfinity intervenes).

Honestly most of the upgrades in this game aren't that complicated in and of themselves, aside from hacking, and once you get the princple of hacking just about everything else follows.

The thing is, as a shark, I could try to memorize every single point cost, look at the list, and get a pretty good idea of most of the hidden options but it strikes me as one of those un-fun bits of the game you have to get through to get to the good part of the game. Hey look i mathed out that the missing points in this USAriadna list exactly matches up to van zant and something else, etc.

Then there's holoprojectors and hidden deployment which introduces a bunch of "just trust me" type stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

WAR FOOT posted:

Any comment that is not "Yu Jing has the coolest fluff and aesthetic" is dissent, citizen.

Yu Jing has a 5 point dirt cheap order with ava 4 base that you would be stupid not to take every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Gonna complain about the players when they use a clunky camo mechanic instead if blamin CB for makin a clunky camo mechanic.

• Locked thread