Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I bought the Combined Army starter set awhile ago to play with a buddy. Where should I go from here? What's the recommended "must have" to build on from that, and which models should i avoid, if any?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I keep seeing you guys mention CB being misogynistic and such but I didn't know what you meant.

Until I saw the Caledonian Regulars.

http://www.infinitythegame.com/infinity/en/2011/miniatures/caledonian-volunteers-2/

That's... :stare:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Am I doing this right? :ohdear:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Indolent Bastard posted:

I personally don't love the bronze guns, but if you like the paint jobs, and you enjoyed painting them, and will actually field them; then yes you are doing this exactly right.

I was a little torn on where to go with the guns. I like it for now. I'm going to get my CA starter painted up and get some games in with my buddy who bought Haqqislam, and see where it goes from there!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Pierzak posted:

The guns' color scheme could use some breaking. Like a second, non-metallic color, or more visible highlighting.

(and it is exactly the right team thank you :colbert:)

I hit them with a flesh wash, but yeah I think I'm going to break up that solid bronze mass. I shall report back!

This is the first time I've put so many colors on a single model, and my scheme is still much simpler than the studio paintjobs on the Infinity site. CA is a very colorful army...

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

To be honest, some people aren't a fan of the battleheels, nevermind some of the pumped up sexualism in some of the range, but it's part of the design roots of the genre and the anime/cyberpunk aesthetic, so it comes with the game. End Discussio please!

You steered us away from SexismInfinity chat so you're a hero in my eyes. These guys are coming along nicely, do you have any better lighting photos? The only thing I could give advice with is another layer of highlights maybe?

Also Corbs, that terrain owns loving bones.

Well yeah, I suppose I could put a few more highlights on their lovingly sculpted buttocks and crotches...

There, I got the thread back on track. You're welcome!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

How many games do I have to play before I know what the hell you guys are talking about? :haw:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I've played two and have half my CA starter painted. Hope to get some more in soon!

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Do you guys usually play objective missions, or just try to kill the other guys until they run away?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'm definitely looking forward to a CA writeup so I know what the hell I'm doing! :shobon:

Is there an Android app for team building? Nothing comes up when I search Infinity.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

Search ALEPH Toolbox in Google Play store mate, it's not amazing but it does work.

Thanks! I also just noticed this in the OP :downs:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

What exactly is an "orderbot"? I've seen this phrase used to describe the CA Batroid and I'm unsure what it means.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is it common for such units to just hang back in your DZ doing nothing, while other more useful models utilize the orders provided?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Can someone clarify how Coma works exactly? The PDF makes reference to the sepsitor, but a daturazi isn't equipped with one, so what does it do?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

OK thanks! Still trying to catch up on a lot of terminology. Are you still making a guide to CA?

Edit: and cube doesn't do anything on its own, right? Its just a keyword that a model has that is referenced by other abilities?

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 26, 2013

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is there a less-intensive online army builder? I cannot get Infinity Army to load for the life of me. It's a slick program, but I'd be ok with a simple crappy Java thing.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Corbeau posted:

Try this. I can't stand using Army 4 anymore - it's so cumbersome.

Awesome, didn't realize the app had a web version too! Thanks.

How does this look for a newbie list building on the starter set?

Combined Army | 11 models

Combat Group #1
Charontid Lieutenant (81|0)
Daturazi Chain (14|0)
Kurgat Autocannon (37|1.5)
Morat Combi (16|0)
Malignos Sniper (47|1.5)
Ikadron (9|0)
Morat Combi (16|0)
Morat Combi (16|0)
Morat Combi (16|0)
Speculo Killer (39|1)
Combat Group #2
Ikadron (9|0)

300/300 points | 4/6 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : direct link

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 27, 2013

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Tardscream posted:

Perfectly fine place to start from matey although that lone Ikadron in his own combat group dosn't do much orderwise. Basic Line infantry Morats are pretty meh for their price so you'll probably want to move away from them eventally. Im a fan of exrahs/vector operators in default CA myself and look forward to seeing a sectional of the bug guys :v:

That lone Ikadron was an accident. I didn't realize I made him a separate combat group. What did I do and what does that even mean? :downs:

edit: Is it 10 models per Combat Group? I don't have the full rulebook yet, just the re-edit PDF or whatever its called. So my reading comprehension is either failing me, or...no that's probably it! Wish there were some goons in the area to play...my only buddy who's starting up with me is super busy with medical school right now.

Dr. Clockwork fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Sep 28, 2013

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

How's this, then? Doesn't seem like I can squeeze another 6 points in there. I dropped most of the Morat to make room for some of the models I would like to pick up to flesh out the starter. It seems like the presence of the Charontid makes the CA starter worth way more than other factions...

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

How's this, then? Doesn't seem like I can squeeze another 6 points in there. I dropped most of the Morat to make room for some of the models I would like to pick up to flesh out the starter. It seems like the presence of the Charontid makes the CA starter worth way more than other factions...

Suppose it would help if I actually posted the list that I'm referring to...

Combined Army | 6 models

Morat Combi (16|0)
Kurgat Autocannon (37|1.5)
Charontid Lieutenant (81|0)
Daturazi Chain (14|0)
Malignos Combi (37|0)
Ikadron (9|0)

194/300 points | 1.5/6 swc
open with Aleph Toolbox : http://goo.gl/tMEAQr

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Pierzak, what do you run at 150-200pts? I'm looking to run just Vanilla for now, the EI stuff seems too much fun to drop.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Those of you with boards, you should post some pics of your terrain layouts here or in the Terrain Megathread! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3570772

I'm starting a setup for my home board, and I always need inspiration.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I take it link teams are the way to go? But only in sectorials right?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'm tempted to do this too, but I'm also a Press Ganger and probably shouldn't double dip too much. I'm already having issues keeping my group active in Warmahordes.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Where are the scenarios? I have the PDF but there aren't any other than just a VP slugfest..

Second question: is the Sphinx as awesome in play as it is on paper?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Why do all these models come with an uncut slotta-base, and all the models have tabs? Do they expect me to :effort: this? Not gonna happen.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Holy gently caress what's people's deal with the new bases? CB makes an awesome new base that doesn't need extra holes filled, has magnet holders, and all I hear is waah waah cutting slots is too hard. I'd gladly trade my old-style slottabases for these new ones, they're that good (BTW, if anyone knows if they are sold separately somewhere, let me know).

And more to the point: these bases actually save a lot of time in greenstuffing/filling extra holes in standard ones, especially once you get to models with shorter tabs. You're looking for :effort: in the wrong place.

I was mostly kidding... :(

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Ah. I got a few of those :effort: responses unironically lately. Sorry buddy :(
BTW, what did you buy? I'm wondering what got switched to the new ones already.

I got a Kurgat with Autocannon and a Batroid blister from Miniature Market, and a Sogarat Tempest from Leperflesh from winning the random draw for the Oath Thread :3:! All four models had the slick new bases.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Nothing like fully painting my Charontid, only to drop it and have the stupid little back fin break off, and be impossible to put back perfectly due to the layers of paint! :tizzy:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Fully painted starter set! :woop:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Played my first two games earlier. I was running the CA starter minus Malignos because his Haqq sectorial starter was only 139pts. Both games I slaughtered him rather soundly. I rolled a lot of lucky crits which apparently just auto kill whoever gets hit by them. I do have a few noob questions because with all the rulebook flipping we did, I'm sure we hosed something up.

Are models limited by the number of AROs they can do in one enemy turn? We didn't, but that made some well-placed snipers just gods of the field everytime someone twitched.

AROs can be performed at the beginning or end of a short skill, and then again at the beginning or end of another short skill that the same model is using?

So if Billy the Morat activates and declares a short move, the opponent can fire at him if their model has LoF before or after the move? And then if Billy wants to move again, he is at risk of getting popped further in the same Order?

I feel like we did some of that wrong...

Charontids are ridiculously powerful in a starter v starter game. I tried not to totally Rambo him, but goddamn that plasma rifle is nice. Speaking of which:

With plasma, as long as you hit the primary target, the targets that get stuck under the template after are auto-hit right?

The revised rulebook is a lot easier to read than the original, but at the same time we tried not to spend every second poring over the rules. Going to play again tomorrow and possibly on Saturday so we'd like to make sure we're doing everything right.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Ah, so shooting AROs are resolved BEFORE the model would move? Can you explain how you would shoot me as I go from cover to cover? I'm still a little fuzzy on the timing aspect of this game (ie probably one of the biggest aspects of it :downs:)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Sorry to continue this noobchat, but if Angus survives, would he then finish moving to his original destination?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Is it often better to have a low-model count list full of beatsticks, or a lot of Orders with weaker troops? I'm working on some 150pt lists and realized that most of my purchases up to this point have been very expensive pt-wise (except for the Ikadron and Imetron, which require an expensive EI construct to be the boss).

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

If someone shoots you in the back and you've already declined to turn to face, does that forfeit any other ARO option?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

We've been playing on 4x4 but I've seen 4x6 and even 4x8 online...is there a "standard"?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Think I'll pass on the "sexy treitak" sculpt.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Pierzak posted:

Oh you will, next batch is next month :v:

(and Morat starter in December, my poor wallet :qq:)

Any idea whats in the starter?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

How big are the buildings you guys usually use for terrain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Are t he Dire Foes models playable outside of the special mission thing?

• Locked thread