Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
So, me and some friends of mine are looking into picking this up as our first foray into the world of strategy games. I'm trying to decide if I want to play as Nomads (sicknasty armor, dose Hellcats and Intruders) or Aleph (working for an AI with a hard-on for mythology, hell yeah). What's a quick summary of their playstyles and/or are either of the two noob-friendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Pierzak posted:

Nomads: slow everything except remotes and TAGs, excellent light TAGs and REMs, tricky (hacking, Koalas), terror troops like random Morlocks and furries. You'll want to decide between the sectorial; Corregidor are TAG- and troop-oriented - more general but excellent basic troops, very good AD, visors; Bakunin are the weird tricks - excellent hacking, ODD, combat nuns, furries and Morlocks. Also hacking.

ALEPH: Elite faction. You'll very likely be outnumbered at lower points. Gets some very strong units to counter that; most of the vanilla troops have NWI, you get cheap warbands with ODD, this kind of stuff. Which also makes you vulnerable to E/M, but hey. The vanilla list has infiltrators and camo, the sectorial has none - its gimmick is to be a straight assault force and a powergamer's wet dream; you get many link-teams (up to 4 members though) that have to include one or more of the shitload of special characters. Few tricks in sectorial, but it's still very strong until you learn how to counter it.

Noob-friendliness: In Infinity? :v: Seriously though, don't worry; I started with Shasvastii which are pretty much the hardest entry point and had a blast. The thing is that Infinity is very skill-focused (as opposed to list-focused) and any mistakes you make may cost you dearly. Just pick what appeals to you more fluff/modelwise and learn to run it.

Thanks for the summaries. Sounds like Nomads have higher flexibility for switching up the squad roster against different enemy factions, so I think I'll probably go with them. Also they just plain look super rad.

• Locked thread