Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Subtle difference from 'mobs' and 'bad' troops I suppose, but:

- Link teams of line troops can be very effective.

- Irregulars like Kuang Shi and Ghazi Muttawiah are cheap and quite effective disruption units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I won my first ever game of Infinity on the weekend.

I managed to splatter a four man wildcat (?) link team and Seņor Massacre turn one with a boarding shotgun Fiday.

My opponent still managed to make it really tough for me though. We both ended up in retreat with a handful of models left, but I had achieved three of my objectives versus his one.

A highlight for me was sacrificing my Lasiq on the last turn by deliberating activating a mine to kill the nearby civilian (which was one of my objectives.)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

Hey, that was my Senor Massacre! And I think your lasiq even survived, the sod. I will try and think of some sort of anti-fiday tactic for next game, but honestly I'm not sure there is any, at least if your opponent gets the first turn.

Oh hey! Well what do you know! Welcome the forum (three months later)

Yeah in that game in particular my Fiday was brutal. I think you'll probably make it a lot harder for her next time!

When I've used a Fiday before they've mainly been more of a threat in being rather than actually achieving much in the way of kills, dictating movements and denying areas etc.

And maybe you're right about the Lasiq. In fact, was it not that he survived the mines and then shanked the civvie to death. If so he still jumped through two mine explosions which is pretty brutal.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
No, they are all really good (Tacbots maybe not that good) but the reason people play the Greeks is because they are the only Sectorial for Aleph so far and Sectorials are really really good.

Link teams are an immensely powerful feature of the rules and I find (personal experience only!) that not using one essentially gimps you.

But I am a pretty bad player.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Tacbots aren't awful by any means. They are fast, and hard to shoot at with normal weapons. They are also fairly cheap (for Aleph).

Garudas are good as well. At least one person here has mentioned using an HMG Garuda a lot and getting good results.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

gobbledygoat posted:

13 points for a cc 8 phys 8 bs 11 line troop just feels wrong, but I guess I didn't factor in the 6-4 mov or any bonuses they get as remotes. No guts rolls or something?

I love the geruda models a ton so I was thinking of picking up the starter, a geruda pack, a dasyu and a sophotech and running something like this:

* snip *

They are still the cheapest troops available to Aleph, and they also have mimetism which you didn't mention.

But yeah they definitely aren't a stellar choice.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Darn, so now that my main Infinity opponent is in this thread, I can't post my lists to get c&c.

Genghis Coheeeeeeeen! :orks:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

HAHAHA. Intelligence Preparation of the Battlespace, matey! On the other hand you have a greater variety of armies than I do, so it works out. Seriously thinking about getting rid of this Acontecimento, not even to start something else, just to consolidate. I feel like I've overstretched myself with stuff to paint.

So I'm thinking about going all Daylami...

Edit: dozens of shaolin monks

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Two great games yesterday with Genghis Cohen, on my newly developed table of Underground Lasers MDF terrain. I played Qapu Khalqi both games.

My first list was:
5 Djanbazan: LT, Doc, HMG, Sniper, Rifle + 2 Nasmat remotes
3 Sekban: Haris, Rifle, HRL
1 Yuan Yuan, chain rifles
1 Bashi Bazouk with shotgun
And Group 2 consisting of 2 more Chain Rifle YY

Against:
5 Wildcats
HMG and Sniper Intruders
Another camo marker that never revealed (?)
A couple of AD troops, not sure which.

I fluffed my first turn hugely, advancing the Sekban team up the centre and walking straight into ARO from ~33 inches from an HMG intruder. I'd assumed that nothing could see me from so far out on this table. At that range I was hitting on 3s or something and my HRL guy went down fast.

My Djanbazan team then advanced to a wall line about 1/4 up the table and didn't really move from there again although achieved a fair bit later.

Genghis then brought his HMG Intruder up onto a low building and took some more potshots at my Sekbans, again with his range advantage managing to down another.

Additionally he brought a camo marker up past the HMG guy and onto a walkway that was pretty much on the centreline. My Djanbazan Sniper and HMG both had line of sight when the marker revealed itself as an Intruder Sniper and made its attack. We had a pretty intense exchange of fire resulting in my HMG Djanbazan and last Sekban going down before my Sniper dropped him. The Wildcats and other camo stuff didn't move due to the order spend on the two Intruders.

Turn 2 it's looking grim for me. I avoid being in retreat by about 6 points, and bring my AD troops on, behind some shipping containers within a few inches of the Wildcats. My YY booty rolls are pretty good, with a +4 and +2 ARM result and the last getting a monofilament CCW.

Knowing I only have the impetuous orders on two of the YY (and very few orders in my pool anyway) I don't have many options, but get pretty lucky. I get a Chain Rifle shot off from each from the top and sides of one of the containers, downing 3 of the wildcats and one YY still standing, threatening the main way out from the area the Wildcats were in.

Continuing my good luck, my Djanbazan Doc and her Nasmats manage to heal all four downed models in my main combat group with my remaining orders.

At this point Genghis is in retreat (by 1 point!) His AD troops are lost, and most of his surviving models are very near the edge of the table. With not much chance of achieving any objectives he concedes after killing my last YY and Bashi, as well as one of the Nasmats (for closure I guess!)

This didn't at all go how I planned. I'd intended for my YY to move up with Djanbazan team, popping smoke all over, and with my Haris team covering their rear against any AD troops. I still like that plan but knowing I can pull off a brutal backfield strike is a good plan B.

Second game writeup to follow (I'm not just gloating on my victory Genghis, I promise!)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Objective missions are key to my enjoyment of this game. Aside from anything else, a slugfest just doesn't fit with the fluff of Black Ops teams performing precise and secretive missions.

In terms of gameplay, it gives you focus and purpose to the game. You can entrench into a very defended position in Infinity, and objectives are important to discourage that.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Sephyr posted:

My beef with the multi (and non-multi) sniper riples is that the SWC and point cost doesn't really gel with the superior burst and range from heavy MGs (and that often cheaper to boot!), when they only have a bit of extra ARO punch going for them.

You don't usually want to let skirmishers and other sniper-toting troops visible during your reactive turn, lest they get smoked by linked HMGs and missile launchers, TAGs and Aquilas, so the ARO advantage is usually moot compared to better range bands and burst in your active turn, as well as link ability.

I think I'm missing something - why are Sniper Rifles better than HMGs in ARO?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Finally got round to painting some more Infinity stuff tonight. Got about 60% done with a Ghulam, Fiday, Murabid Tuareg and Lasiq.* I put it off for ages because of how nice the minis are and how small and detailed, but for some reason wasn't so precious about it today!

* Genghis Cohen, it is entirely up to you whether or not you take this as a hint about what I shall be fielding next time... ...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The TAG and Croc are great but god, the others look terrible.

What faction is that Nesai Alke for? It kinda looks like ALEPH but I've never seen her unit entry.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I use ia-Aleph on iOS for list building during my commute.

Pretty nice, with a nifty feature that gives to-hit charts for each model taking gear and weapons into account (x-visor etc.) but doesn't have quite so good exporting options. I make a list on it and then create a printed PDF using the official one.

I usually have it on hand to look up models and stats, with a printed list containing my actual stuff.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Check out YAMS - Yet Another Mission System. 30 odd cards, each player receives 6 and discards 2. Objectives that run the range from scouting deployment zones to murdering civilians.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bob Smith posted:

I might not have been clear; I had the proxy, and as far as I recall the sequence of events was:

1) Djanbazan uses MSV to shoot Proxy, ignoring TO Camo. Proxy declares ARO of shoot, revealing its position.
2) Djanbazan misses every shot, Proxy scores a crit using DA ammo, Djanbazan fails ARM roll (taking two wounds and dying)
3) As a result of Loss of Lt, Haqqislam player declares Janissary as new Lt
4) Janissary activates, tries to shoot revealed Proxy, misses. Proxy declares ARO of shoot and kills Janissary.

If we did stuff wrong there let me know - I think I've got G: Jumper right (my active proxy was the Sniper at the time, and she was camouflaged). I began the game as reactive player - do I not start with one Active?

I'm learning to use the proxies so I'm going to try and figure this out too.

Is it not the case that to 'reveal her position' the proxy is implied to be in hidden deployment?

If she is in hidden deployment she cannot be the active proxy; if she is or has ever been the active proxy she drops out of T/O camo (I'm not clear if she becomes a T/O marker or just a plain model but whatevs) and cannot return to being invisible - aside from anything else I don't see the point of re-entering hidden deployment once revealed even if you can.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Oct 4, 2013

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You get one order for the Posthuman, regardless of how many proxies you take.

I think.

Edit: yes, this makes sense because your orders come from active models and the inactive proxies are inactive.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I like the look of that Fix, that ODD is cool. I always thought the hacker effects didn't quite work but that works for me, somehow.

One thing though about your ALEPH scheme - are the steel phalanx warriors & characters intended to be different to the GiTS style lhosts like the Vanilla models (Asuras, Devas, Posthumans etc.)? I've been painting mine all my minis with very inhuman looking tones and was going to keep that style for any of the characters I did.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hey that's pretty cool. I should get the books and read the fluff one of these days shouldn't I.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Aargh gently caress. Just irrevocably messed up that faces on two minis that were going so well.

Time to put the brushes down for today I think.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Played a game on the weekend, my second with Vanilla ALEPH.

Holy crap Dasyus. I had one that hung on throughout basically the whole game, dodging full HMG bursts and kiting poo poo around. When it finally did get hit - no matter, because it has NWI! Awesome.

What it didn't do with much success however was kill stuff, but then it was up against Reverend Moiras with their ODD and Sin Eaters with their Mimetism and full burst AROs.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Who is she supposed to be?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
That is one sexy space monkey alien unf

:gonk:

The TAG is awesome however. Which factions can take that?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You can ARO to change facing (ie. towards your attacker) but the attacker might have to be within your Zone of Control if the model reacting isn't the one being shot at. I'm not sure. Maybe if a friendly model goes down in your ZOC you can change facing?

For the guy(s) being shot at they can ARO to turn and face, but they still have to survive. If they do they can ARO normally against the next attack.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I think the model being attacked gets to turn and face regardless of the distance. They certainly do if they get shot at and survive.

^^^ listen to that guy, he knows what he's talking about :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Hot drat that looks good.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Which Haqq unit is that? I'm pretty rusty in my ID skills.

Whatever they are, I'll be using them as my Haris Sekban team :D

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Flipswitch posted:

Ooh those are lovely models.

E: Question for UK Goons! I am thinking of running a 250pt tournament sometime this year? possibly Q2 or Q3, who would be willing to travel to Cardiff for it? My regulars are interested but I'm curious to see interest from the rest of the country.

That's a nice idea but it depends a lot on the timing. If it fit, I'm sure Genghis Cohen and possibly another guy would come with me.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Huzzah! They actually ARE Sekbans. Cool.

Regarding the tournament, keep on mentioning it and I'll try to come if I can.

That Mercenary Sniper who's on the 2014 ITS promo material - how does one get that model?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
You're too quick Flipswitch! I was just coming back to edit my question out because I'd answered it already :)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Not much chance of that :)

(That's because I'm crap, not because I think Flipswitch is cheap!)

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

bhsman posted:

I need to play XCOM. :sigh:

Yes, you do.

A re-skinned XCom would make suuuuuuch a good Necromunda game.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I really like how netrods and Posthumans interact, but yeah netrods in an ALEPH list without Posthumans is a bit rough.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Great month of releases!

As I said before I am definitely getting the Sekbans. Might get that Yu Jing guy although is he more for JSA? I mostly play Imperial Svc and rarely vanilla YJ.

Not that I haven't hovered over a checkout button many times with a cart full of JSA stuff...

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Which armies can take Geckoes?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Oh my gently caress, those Daturazi

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Those are so amazing.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
So are Morat Vanguards not poo poo now?

Because they look incredible and it'll be sad if they suck.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Some pointers that I've picked up:

- Don't balance the board. Give one side/end of the board a bit of an advantage in terms of high buildings or special features, in order to make going second an attractive option

- More is better. If you think you've got enough terrain, you probably haven't. Be very wary about creating open spaces that are greater than 8 inches wide/long - I usually drop a pile of crates or something in the middle of an open space, so it doesn't have to be a lot of stuff

- I always find tables more engaging to play on if they are built with a theme in mind. I try to make the layout of my things feel like they could be a real settlement/colony/industrial works

- Try to include varying kinds of terrain - it can be interesting to include Low or Zero-vis zones as well as just LOS-blocking pieces. It's also handy from a gameplay perspective to rule outright what each terrain piece counts as. In my games with Genghis Cohen we've tended to rule that the interior of buildings are always Low-vis zones for example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Genghis Cohen posted:

BS is indeed new. FUCKIN SPACE KNIGHTS! Love those. Santiago is by far the coolest order in my opinion. The description in the book of their space combat MO is really cool and insane (single man boarding torpedoes!)

Really need to start playing infinity again, but there aren't enough players around. Anyone on this site live in the West Midlands?

Any chance you can drop by the big smoke on leave some time?

• Locked thread