Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Are there any ENB presets that don't have extreme contrast? I just want better looking shadows but it seems every ENB either makes things extremely bright or extremely dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Apoplexy posted:

There is literally no argument against MO except stupid ones. Stupid ones like 'But Arthmoor says...'

C'est ne pas une empty quote.

In other news, I'm still having issues with sitting IRL, that's what's delaying the new OP. I can lie here and play games with my controller, but sitting and typing, nuh-uh. If somebody wants me to just dump what I have on pastebin so they can finish it, I will.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Been a while and I'm thinking of playing again, is there a recommended quickstart mod that starts you off with Unrelenting Force? That slog up the mountain and listening to that one greybeard yammer on and on is something I'd rather skip.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

In other news, I'm still having issues with sitting IRL, that's what's delaying the new OP. I can lie here and play games with my controller, but sitting and typing, nuh-uh. If somebody wants me to just dump what I have on pastebin so they can finish it, I will.

finish it with speech to text

I want to read a babelfish OP

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Danaru posted:

Been a while and I'm thinking of playing again, is there a recommended quickstart mod that starts you off with Unrelenting Force? That slog up the mountain and listening to that one greybeard yammer on and on is something I'd rather skip.

with skyrim unbound, you get unrelenting force as a freebie with your first dragon kill, with no trip to Bleak Falls necessary

you still can, of course, the old word wall just doesn't add anything

e: unfortunately you still need to rub elbows with the old coots for whirlwind sprint and RO-DAH, though

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Danaru posted:

I mean you can just console it and then console remove it later if you actually go to Bleak Falls and High Hrothgar so as not to gently caress anything up. I don't know of a mod that does that precise thing but you can accomplish a surprising amount of little stuff with the console.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Apoplexy posted:

There is literally no argument against MO except stupid ones. Stupid ones like 'But Arthmoor says...'

It's less user friendly. That is important if you don't know or care to learn about computers.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Quick question. I'm finally playing this game on a PC instead of a craptop, and I intend to do almost everything, but I don't want go any further than subscribe for mods in the workshop. What ease-of-use mods are recommended beyond Increased Saturation , Barenziah Markers, and Sky UI?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You really really really should use MO or NMM even if you're going to be installing only a few mods. It will save you time and aggravation because the Workshop is severely brain damaged in the way it organizes mods.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I intend to do almost everything
oh nice, there's lots of mods you can-

Inspector Gesicht posted:

but I don't want go any further than subscribe for mods in the workshop.
nevermind you can't do anything

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I really want TES6, and it's made me feel like playing some Skyrim again. Requiem seems like it changes the game significantly enough that it will be a whole new experience.

I'm not sure a Morrowind-style Sorcerer playthrough would work though. That class favors conjuration and enchanted scrolls, rings, armor, and weapons for various situations. It was my favorite in Morrowind. In Skyrim it didn't make much sense due to additional magic limitations.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
So Skyrim Special Edition was just announced. I'm curious what it will actually do for PC users though. Call me ultra-jaded pc douchelord, but I'm not sure what they would do that modders have not already done for free.

Hooray for free upgrades then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF2Qw9BI6Rg&t=195s

graynull fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 13, 2016

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
If you have Legendary Edition / all the addons purchased separately, the update will be free.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

All it really needs tbh is compatibility with anything beyond DX9 and it'll be really helpful.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Dootman posted:

If you have Legendary Edition / all the addons purchased separately, the update will be free.

Oh god it's going to horribly break all our mods isn't it

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

If nothing else it will probably be a nice shortcut around having to muck with ENB settings and all that. I wonder if it will cause all kinds of compatibility issues or what.

E: October 28th is the release apparently. Not likely in time to play through Enderal unfortunately.

Gwyrgyn Blood fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 13, 2016

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I wonder how they'll push this on PC. Will it be a new sku and thus separate from the Skyrim we all run? Or is it going to superscede the Skyrim we are all playing right now? If that's the case lmao @ the tears from everyone (including me) on October 28th when Steam forces us to all update a version of Skyrim that breaks all the mods.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

welp I signed up for TR again

do these guys actually do anything or is it all meetings and planning? they're working on heightmaps for dres land and apparently old ebonheart and almalexia aren't really closer to done than two years ago. I just want to write quests :qq:

I got in pretty late to the project but thankfully my quests still ended up in the Sacred East release. "Honor the Ancestors" which was one of the only quests to send you back up north (for some reason TR quests almost never send you more than a few feet away). Bonus points if you cringe at calling Firewatch ""Watch of Fire" which is extremely lame.

"Old Soldiers" was me recreating the sixth sense in morrowind form

I think I did an Akamora quest too but it was just delivering a report which was lame

I used to think a lot of TR quests were super lame then I replayed Skyrim and most of them were just as bad.

e: this is the skyrim modding thread gently caress me

mbt fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 13, 2016

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

KakerMix posted:

I wonder how they'll push this on PC. Will it be a new sku and thus separate from the Skyrim we all run? Or is it going to superscede the Skyrim we are all playing right now? If that's the case lmao @ the tears from everyone (including me) on October 28th when Steam forces us to all update a version of Skyrim that breaks all the mods.

Yeah I just figure I'll take a Skyrim vacation for a few months and redownload all my mods around January.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I've been on Skyrim Vacation for months, lol :smith:

Also apparently I missed novajam watchstreaming (??) this announcement so that was probably pretty special.

eta: Forget the update breaking mods, that 1-5 stars rating on the mod download screen is probably going to start some poo poo.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

GunnerJ posted:

I've been on Skyrim Vacation for months, lol :smith:

Also apparently I missed novajam watchstreaming (??) this announcement so that was probably pretty special.

eta: Forget the update breaking mods, that 1-5 stars rating on the mod download screen is probably going to start some poo poo.

lmao didn't even see that! But it's Bethesda and they do not give a poo poo about modders' egos so I see that as a good thing. What will really happen though is the same drama about Fallout 4 and people uploading mods that aren't theirs to the console space. The modders who care will also just ignore Bethesda's modding system because it doesn't cater to them, and besides modding seriously still requires things that simply can't work with Bethesda's implementation. I bet the Nexus dude is sweating bullets though.

Agents are GO! posted:

I can't promise I'd finish it but I would appreciate what you have :unsmith:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Unless they only transplanted Fallout 4's renderer into the Skyrim engine, I can't see this not totally breaking everything.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Oh not sure if this is news or not but Enderal's English release is set for 'a few weeks' after the German release, so probably the tail end of July assuming nothing goes horribly wrong.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
So, Skyrim Special Edition will break all your mods. You will be forced to use Bethesda's Mod Workshop with paid mods. The Steam Workshop will have no integration at all.

And no moderation. Watch the drama flow.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mortimer posted:

Bonus points if you cringe at calling Firewatch ""Watch of Fire" which is extremely lame.

That name make me think your wrist needs some sort of healing ointment.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Goddammit, I just reinstalled Skyrim and fully modded it a couple of days ago. Now the whole thing feels pointless as a new version which will break all my mods and probably make some mods rather redundant will come out.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Why bother with the remastered version? There's no new content in it right?

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

also lmao if the lip sync bug is still in

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dongicus posted:

Bloom and godrays count as content, surely?

I'm just wondering what performance impact it will have. For some reason Fallout 4 actually runs better on my PC than Skyrim does, despite Skyrim looking kinda.. old. That said, they pumped so much fog and godrays into Fallout 4's Far Harbor that it made my otherwise smooth 60 fps chug down to almost 30 and it looks like they're doing the same thing with Skyrim :whitewater:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Well, Skyrim runs way better than Oblivion on my PC, so maybe each Bethesda game is actually going to run better from here on oh god I can't finish this statement.

I don't see this breaking most mods, but it's Bethesda so we'll see.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Okay, I'll repent. Using the Nexus Mod Manager what Ease-of-Use mods for Skyrim come recommended?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Better Dialog Controls, Better Messagebox Controls, No Poison Dialogues, Better Jumping, Better Stealing, Skyrim Crash Fixes, Skyrim Enhanced Camera. Those are all the actual mod names, but I'm phoneposting so no links.

Gotta be honest, I truly don't understand the "I only want a few mods" mindset, but the actual process of modding is enjoyable to me, so I guess whatever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

KakerMix posted:

I wonder how they'll push this on PC. Will it be a new sku and thus separate from the Skyrim we all run?

That's what I hear.

Dongicus posted:

sell the same game to people who bought it on 360 and PS3 who can now buy it for Xbone and PS4

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Remaster will be free on PC for everyone who owns Skyrim: Legendary Edition, or all the DLC.

It'll also be a separate install, Bethesda isn't going to break all our mods.

There's also been a lot of talk about the remaster using a 64-bit engine, and that it probably runs on DirectX 11 (on account of the volumetric lighting shown in the trailer), but I can't find any official statements.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 13, 2016

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Goddammit, I just reinstalled Skyrim and fully modded it a couple of days ago. Now the whole thing feels pointless as a new version which will break all my mods and probably make some mods rather redundant will come out.

This, except I don't give a poo poo about the special edition because I just installed better textures, better LOD, better meshes and an ENB that already makes my game look like the new one.

Plus the re-release won't have any new quests, items, characters or locations so I'm already ahead of it.

I mean, releasing this on PC is pretty redundant unless you're too lazy to click some mod download links.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

nexus6 posted:

This, except I don't give a poo poo about the special edition because I just installed better textures, better LOD, better meshes and an ENB that already makes my game look like the new one.

Plus the re-release won't have any new quests, items, characters or locations so I'm already ahead of it.

I mean, releasing this on PC is pretty redundant unless you're too lazy to click some mod download links.

Well, the re-release will probably be a true 64-bit executable which means that in theory, you could load more mods into the game without poo poo breaking. As Skyrim currently stands, it can only use 4GB of RAM.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I wonder if it's going to be really hard to port existing mods over. I kinda have to imagine SKSE is not going to work at all given how close to the code it is.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Pete says that current Skyrim mods will generally work. SKSE will obviously need to be updated, but that'll likely be done day one anyways.

It'll be interesting to see if mod creators put their stuff on a separate nexus site or if they even bother uploading to Bethesda.net and flag their stuff for consoles 5 years later.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Hoping the Remaster will be a 64bit executable, that will be the tits for performance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Agents are GO! posted:

Well, Skyrim runs way better than Oblivion on my PC, so maybe each Bethesda game is actually going to run better from here on oh god I can't finish this statement.

I don't see this breaking most mods, but it's Bethesda so we'll see.

This was a nice side effect of the last generation of consoles remaining stagnant for so long. A lot of game engines couldn't count on ever-more-powerful hardware, while at the same time consumers wanted better and better graphics. As a result, developers had to optimize the heck out of their engines to get more effects and performance while living with years-old hardware. PC gamers benefited as a side-effect, but it resulted in things like Skyrim running better than Oblivion while having more eye candy, and even games like Shadow of Mordor (which runs like butter even on a GTX 680M).

• Locked thread