Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Question about baseline mods for Skyrim: I'm looking for some place to start that is a general overhaul of the game.

I'm used to starting off with Project Nevada for F:NV and building my game around that. I learned Mod Organizer and LOOT for a pretty fun F:NV playthrough.

It seems like there are several overhauls: SPERG, Ordinator, Requiem, SkyRe, PerMa, etc. Is there a goon-recommended place to start? Regarding the last two, it seems there are some complex extra steps (like whatever the hell Patchus Maximus is) to get it working. I've heard these steps take time to compile every time you mess with something in your mod list. Seems kind of intimidating to me at this point. And the mod author seems like a major dick.

Should I bite the bullet and go for something like Perkus Maximus as a starting point? Or should I go with something like SPERG or Ordinator and add other gameplay mods in to completely overhaul it?

Alternatively, If there's a good recent summary that you guys have already written, I'd appreciate a page number to go to.

VVV: Thanks a ton, that's really helpful. It looks like there are some Reproccer tutorials on youtube that will help me get a rundown of it.

Propagandist fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I've only been tinkering with it a couple nights now, and I'm aaaaaalmost done with my .inis. Modding truly is the game

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Alright here's a quick question:

I hate bloom and all the other post-processing bullshit that makes things glow at random. It seems like you can enable/disable it with the console command "teofis". Is this something that is covered/disabled with a popular/approved lighting mod, something I should use an ENB to deal with, or should I just use the console command and call it a day?

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

I'm not averse to ENB at all - STEP and SRLE recommend at the very least ENBoost, which got me started. There's some really nice videos that explain how to set it up too. ENBoost seems like a good idea overall, since you can at the very least deal with anisotropic filtering and some other forms of antialiasing right from the enblocal.ini.

I'm hoping that once I get full fledged ENB installed, I can just disable bloom and HDR and other immersive simulators of vision decay in medieval times. I'll go ahead and walk through SRLE for ENB rather than just ENBoost, and see if I can get a baseline preset working.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Alright I got 90% of the way through STEP, then decided it didn't do enough poo poo.

Then I got 90% of the way through SRLE minus the titty and erect cock mods, then decided it didn't do enough poo poo.

Then I got 90% of the way through SRLE:Extended and decided I want to go with SPERG+Ordinator.

It's been a busy couple of weeks.

For MorrowLoot Ultimate patches, I'm assuming I want to grab the SPERG one, not the Ordinator one?

Regarding Vigor: I understand it started off as a pretty simple combat mod, but I feel like it's ballooned into a bunch of bullshit recently. The stuff I like the sound of is AI enhancements and timed blocking. Don't Combat Evolved and Ordinator cover these?

Also CACO and CCOR seem to throw a wrench in getting stuff to work well together.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Mortimer posted:

Most of SRLE is graphics and sound stuff, why wouldn't you be able to throw SPERG+Ordinator in there and leave out the glaringly obvious incompatible stuff?
That's a great question - I don't know enough about what it would or would not be compatible with to answer. That's primarily why I brought it up. I haven't played Skyrim since before the first DLC, so I'm new to Skyrim modding. In F:NV, I generally just built things around Project Nevada since that seems to be the go-to overhaul (and it owns). It seems to me like things can be more "modular" in Skyrim.

I am definitely going with SPERG+Ordinator, but I'm not sure about CACO. CACO seems to be pretty popular, but I've never really done much with alchemy or cooking, and you're right about it having fuckloads of compatibility patches to deal with.

Still not sold on Vigor, though. I've read that the other combat overhauls either have things that bloat your save and potentially cause corruption/instability (Duel or Deadly Combat) or are incompatible with FNIS (Ultimate Combat), so that kind of pigeonholes me to Combat Evolved alone or CE+Vigor. At least until EnaiSiaion puts out Swordfall.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Oh neat, looks like MorrowLoot has its own small alchemy overhaul. I'm gonna drop CACO and just go with CCOR, WAFR, CCF, and SPERG+Ordinator.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

A Magical Lamp posted:

Question though - does anyone know of any mod that changes the way 2h weapons are placed on the back? I'm running around with a battleaxe clipping into my kidney 24/7. Seems like there's plenty of options for one handed weapons but nothing at all for two handed.

Use XPMSE with FNIS. You'll also need SKSE, Realistic Ragdolls and Force, and Racemenu. This will let you place weapons on several positions on your body. You can switch from having sword on your hip to having it on your back. You can even put daggers on your thigh or lower back instead of on your hip, too.

The reason I bring this up, is because you can open up the console, type "showracemenu", and navigate to the Weapons tab, and tweak weapon positions on your body by very small amounts. This is in addition to the weapon positioning ability above.

I used this with Equipping Overhaul to show multiple weapons on the player's body (instead of just the equipped ones), so that a two-handed sword and a one-handed sword can appear on the player's back. By default, they clip. But since you can move them by small amounts, you can then adjust them slightly so they don't clip.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

All it really needs tbh is compatibility with anything beyond DX9 and it'll be really helpful.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

I asked the exact same question some days ago and got pointed at Natural Lighting Vivid Athmospherics and I'm super happy with it. It takes a bit of effort to set up compared to some other ENBs, but the result is incredible. I don't really have any good screenshots to show you, but I feel like it makes everything very "crisp" if that makes sense. None of the crazy DOF/bloom, saturation or insane gamma that you usually see (although I had to brighten the nights and indoors by a bit).

I want to also voice a recommendation for NLVA. It's really good. It got a major update just a week or so ago that fixed the things that I didn't like about it. I use that with ELE (interior only) and Relighting Skyrim, and I couldn't be happier. I used to have to load up an ENB and gently caress with it for like an hour because of how saturated it felt, but I don't really mess with NLVA. I had tried Project ENB, Realvision, and Vividian, and was really disappointed at how they looked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

NuclearPotato posted:

So I'm putting together a mod list to run when the Legacy of the Dragonborn update drops in a couple days, and things are mostly running smoothly!

Mostly :v:

I'm guessing it's a texture or mesh from CCOR or Immersive Armors that's getting overwritten by something else. Time to muck around in TES5Edit and find the problem! :toot:

What's coming from LOTD that you're excited about? I've seen people rave about it as it is, but I'm not sure what the author has planned for the immediate future.

• Locked thread