Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Hey, I'm planning on doing a replay of Skyrim and have been gathering some mods to use. I have a couple hangups, however, on choosing between a couple mods:

Climates of Tamriel vs RCRN - which comes more highly recommended hereabouts? CoT has many more endorsements on the Nexus, but that doesn't mean anything. The other is Deadly Combat vs Duel - Combat Realism, and my decision there basically boils down to "which makes it play more like Dark Souls?" haha. Thanks in advance for the help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

does setting iPresentInterval=0 still break the game? I'm kinda getting the itch to play it again but would like to be as safe as possible

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Red Mundus posted:

A quick google search tells me that ENBoost allows you to set it to 0 and not break the game. ENBoost should be used anyways as it pretty much destroys all issues with Skyrim so you should be fine.

I'll look into that, thanks!

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

thanks for turning me onto ENBoost, Red Mundus, because it completely changed the game for me. I went from getting sorta uneven framerates and hitching to never dropping a frame below 60 fps at ultra settings with a lot of mods installed. this is amazing

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

if you're having trouble with Mod Organizer there's an extensive series of videos made by Gopher that cover pretty much everything you need to know. I've been using MO forever and I still learned some stuff watching those recently.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is Immersive Weapons worth using? I love the armor mod but only really want to use one big weapon pack so I don't have to merge leveled lists so much and it's basically down to that or Jaysus Swords.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that's a shame because Immersive Armors is incredible. I might just stick with Jaysus Swords, it's got fewer weapons so I would guess they've all probably had more love put into them

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is Weapons of the Third Era MoS Edition available anywhere or is it pretty much lost?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Buried alive posted:

Is there such a thing as a mod that will add some kind of graphic effect to weapon swings? Like a movement blur at the range of the attack or something.

object motion blur like that seems like something that would have to be hardcoded into the game engine, but maybe there's an ENB setting that replicates it, I dunno

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Buried alive posted:

To refine my request a bit, I'm looking for something that gives me feedback on what the range of my/enemies' attacks is. I don't care if the sword (or whatever) I'm swinging actually blurs or not, any kind of graphic effect will work. Some kind of slashing arc would work just as well.

ahh, I get you. that would actually be pretty cool but I don't think a thing like that exists :(

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

I wasn't aware that it had been removed from the Nexus. I'll zip up my copy and upload it to my Google Drive. My internet is slow as poo poo, so it might take a while. I'll either edit this post or make a new post when it's finished. :)

Anyhow, Weapon Variants Expansion and Private Eye's Heavy Armory are both pretty good.

Avoid weaponizer, IMHO.

thanks! I'll look into those others :)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is RCRN any good? I'm kinda tired of the Climates of Tamriel + Realistic Lighting Overhaul combo and wanna change things up

mostly I just want a lighting mod that supports Dragonborn

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i tend to not use ENBs because of the performance hit on my not-amazing computer but PureVision or Quietcool might fit the bill okay. they're ENBs that add color without making the game look like a cartoon.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

definitely use LOOT over BOSS. it's much better.

if you're just looking for basic mods that aren't likely to conflict with much, I'm a fan of iHUD (which hides elements of the HUD when they're not in use and is customizable), A Matter of Time (adds a clock on the HUD, fully customizable), and Immersive Patrols (puts random NPCs wandering around the overworld to make it feel more alive). Cutting Room Floor is also a cool mod that restores some cut NPCs, dialogue and small quests back into the game but isn't vital by any means.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 16, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

it's certainly not for their spit and polish

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

Generally, it's been very difficult to continue with an IP after it's been made into an MMO. It's also difficult to continue an IP after it goes into prequel mode. I'm really hoping TES breaks the mold though, I'd love to see the state of things a few hundreds years from Skyrim.

TESO has not been massively successful so i wouldn't really worry

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what's a good mod that buffs magic without being overpowered? I used to Balanced Magic but that seems really outdated by this point so I don't know about it

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oh yeah I've been meaning to try that out, thanks

kedo posted:

Balanced Magic still works pretty well as long as you're using vanilla spells imo. However if you start using Midas or Apocalypse some of the spells become hilariously OP (at least in my experience... maybe they're just OP naturally).

I guess its still Balanced Magic for me then

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Phetz posted:

I believe Violens allows you to control the perspective, along with a ton of other options for the killmoves.

I can highly recommend this mod, i'm a big fan of only having first-person kill moves

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i realize this is going to be mostly up to personal preference, but is there any consensus on what the best dragon mod is? i'm mostly looking to make the fights more interesting, varied and a little more challenging. i'm hesitant towards deadly dragons because i've heard it was a really janky/buggy mod in the past, but that was years ago so maybe it's better now?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

cool, thanks. :) i think i'll give deadly dragons a shot for the extra variety in encounters.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

this engine is known to gently caress poo poo up if the framerate exceeds 60 fps, it's really not wise to uncap it

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is there an up-to-date guide anywhere on the best texture packs and stuff to download? i'd ideally like to cover most of the textures in the game and have them blend together somewhat decently

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Gyshall posted:

STEP, or the Skyrim Revisited guide on the STEP wiki.

Also, Skyrim Mod Combiner is quite nice.

cool, thanks. i think i'll give SMC a shot

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

could i have that list of dangerous/outdated mods?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

so is the TES5Edit merged patch meant to serve the same purpose as bashed patches in Wrye Bash? because i'd love to not need that ancient thing anymore

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

what's the deal with Duel - Combat Realism? i gather that the mod author is apparently a huge baby and the mod had some problems in the past, but i've heard otherwise its generally a decent combat mod nowadays--is that true?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

is Action Combat the choice to use if i want mechanics more akin to Dark Souls? it sounds like it would be with the poise system and all that, damage numbers aside.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

oh that's interesting, i might have to give that a try. thanks. :)

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

i just spent four hours grabbing every mod included in the skyrim mod combiner (i maxed out at 2k resolution, 4k textures feel like overkill) and im ready to find out i did something wrong and have the game instantly crash

... after this spends the next ten years compiling the textures together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Cardboard Box posted:

i just spent four hours grabbing every mod included in the skyrim mod combiner (i maxed out at 2k resolution, 4k textures feel like overkill) and im ready to find out i did something wrong and have the game instantly crash

... after this spends the next ten years compiling the textures together

yup it crashes the instant i go outside :suicide: it's definitely something in the smc mod because it's fine when i disable it. sure is gonna be fun troubleshooting this one!!

• Locked thread