Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Oh god, I wanted to play Skyrim again but....40+ mods later I only just begin to feel like I'm getting close to being done. It's like a drat drug.

I thought I'd also try out some ENB's to go with Purity, so I installed Clarity, which had me put files all over my Skyrim folder. Trying it out, it seems to just steal 10-30 FPS and makes the game look slightly prettier but with a sepia filter (that seems to achieve the opposite of making things look Clear) and more shiny light. It doesn't feel like it's worth a 30 FPS loss.

Is there a way to easily try out different ENB's? Switching from Clarity to another ENB seems to be a pain in the rear end what with all the files it had me add to the Skyrim folder and Data folder. I'll probably just re-install Skyrim instead and go with Purity without any ENB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

ENB in a nutshell. Grab ENB solely for the ENBoost feature. Use purity plus The Imaginator mod to tweak your graphics.

Imaginator looks useful, I'll check that out, thanks.

Psion posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/7804

most ENBs are bad but some are really quite good, unfortunately the odds are not in your favor. I say you should just auto-pass on any which require 85 mods to start or anything which requires a mod you look at and say "hmm, nah" as a dependency.

e: I looked at clarity's setup, if you think that's a lot of files to add, heh, well... most of the stuff it has you do is the same for every ENB (the ini tweaks) and getting the dll from the ENB site. No idea about that Nighteye thing though.

If it were just the ENB stuff I could've still manually checked and deleted it, but Clarity also had me install two ENB patches that added roughly 300 files into my data/meshes and data/textures folders. Reinstalling went quicker than figuring out which of those files did or didn't belong, but turns out I could've just deleted the meshes/textures folders because all their contents were from the patches. I only figured that out after the reinstall, though. Thank god for the MO manager.

I might give a few more ENB's a try with that manager once I'm done with my regular modding.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

You know what? You're still ok in my book, Skyrim.

That looks pretty drat great. Does that use any Imaginator settings? There's so many options in there I get confused. And whenever I change a bunch of things I think, yeah this looks good. Then I go back to the original default with just Purity and I think, yeah this'll do fine too. I'm quite partial to a bit of Warm Northern Lights, but heck, almost everything looks good during a Purity sunset.

I think I'm actually almost done modding. What a...novel idea. I'm somehow reluctant to actually play the game because I fully expect all of my mods to crap out on me after half an hour.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Ah yeah I tried those, the one tick of pixar added a bit too much color for my taste, though perhaps that was specific to the time of day, and my trees aren't upgraded yet. I'll give the trees a shot and see whether my PC starts complaining. I've already switched from ultra to high shadows and MSAA to FXAA, which made a big difference, to keep a sortof steady 40-60 FPS. I'd like to maintain that I think.

I'm starting to understand why modding is such a drug. It's similar to playing an RPG. Everything needs to be upgraded, made better, and you get to solve problems and do some tedious bullshit. It's a whole game in and of itself. I'm glad I've got Uncle Sheogorath's Really Helpful Hints and Tips to make the loading screens fun while I test things.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Well, tried the trees. No go. That's too much for my poor 1GB card. I can get a solid 60 FPS as long as I remain a sentry and don't move, but if I start running the game starts chugging. It's not that bad cause there's enough ram and an SSD behind it, but it's still not as smooth as the appropriate amount of vram. Not sure whether I should just roll with it or start cutting out mods. Turning off the flora mod and my second monitor seemed to already help quite a bit.

Agents are GO! posted:

Fleve: I like my games colorful. :shobon:

Hah, yeah vanilla and even Purity default could use a bit more color, but I'm gonna go with the Warm Northern Lights instead of pixar I think. There's just something about it that I like.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I can crank ridiculous textures all day long, but put a few trees and some grass and everything dies. Did you try the basic version instead of regular? That does the trick for me.

Oh hey that actually works, thanks. In my hubris I tried regular first while thinking it was basic. If I go to some spots with lots of plants it still costs me 10 fps or so, but it's worth it cause that's some sweet looking shrubbery.

Ran through the countryside a bit more and the 1GB bottleneck isn't all that bad. It's sortof nostalgic actually, like when I first played Skyrim with my old 512mb card but now looking a lot better. Or when I first played Morrowind with an even worse card and ended up buying that 512mb card instead. TES games seem to sortof be my hardware upgrade signal.

Edit: Huh. Nice thing about the Mod Organizer is how easy it is to just quickly shut off some mods, or in fact try a default vanilla setup. Recording vram usage in the background, turns out I use up that 1GB with or without mods and most mods aren't really making it any worse.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 15, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Done modding, started a fresh game, and I'm promptly treated to a rough ride by the Imperials. The carriage was bouncing all over the place and the camera was twirling around. It was quite amusing. Managed to fix it by enabling the fps limiter in the enboost thingy. Apparently vsync alone wasn't enough to ensure 60 fps. Or perhaps it was Immersive Armors, it sometimes seems to do this.

Anyway, everything works fine and drat. SPERG is great. Perks really do something instead of just adding X% of armor/damage. Combat Evolved & Deadly Combat makes for very fun, fast-paced combat where blocking actually matters. Against stronger enemies it's even better to just straight up dodge their slow wind-up swings. Bandoliers for more carrying capacity are great, I can't believe I ever played without them because I've always been a drat pack-rat. The Immersive Armors/Weapons look and feel perfect, I already found a spear, some weird pick-thing, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Makes me wonder whether I can finally go light armor without having to rely on elven or glass armor, I never liked how those looked. Day/night/weather cycles with Purity and Imaginator are awesome. I feel like I've finally reached the promised land of modding.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

How do people feel about SPERG for hybrids? I'm looking through the PerMa trees and I'm not sure my desired build is going to be viable.

Can't say for sure yet, but I think SPERG would do well with hybrid or even just 'whatever strikes your fancy' builds. You get perks automatically at certain skill levels (25, 50, 75, 100) and there's more synergy between the different skill-trees, so you'll probably end up with functional builds more easily. The most common complaint seems to be that it makes you too powerful, so you might want to combine it with difficulty increasing mods like Combat Evolved, Deadly Combat, or Ultimate Combat.

So far, the default settings make me feel like I level pretty fast. Looking through the uncapper ini, a lot of skills are set to gain 10-30% faster than vanilla. I thought about cutting them all down by 50%, but skill gain and levelling speed will probably slow down on its own as well the higher I get. I did switch off gaining armor skill just from walking around, as well as gaining skill points for completing quests. That seemed a bit too much.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

I'm looking at doing a bit of casting as well as swinging around a sword, but I'm not really interested in something that involves a lot of timing re: hitting and blocking. Suggestions?

Then I'd avoid Deadly Combat/Ultimate Combat. Although, timing isn't that much of a nuisance. Just holding the block button works well too, it just costs more stamina than a well-timed block. Perhaps try Combat Evolved and tweak with the damage numbers, but I think Combat Evolved also adds a stagger to attacks which might or might not work well without the other combat mods.

SPERG scales spells per level, so that should already improve casting. Perhaps also look into Apocalypse, it adds a ton of spells. I'm not very familiar with tweaking spell-casting difficulty though. Usually I play a typical sneaky archer, this time I wanted to try something more melee, hence the combat mods.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm really liking the 'scarcity' setup I've got going currently. MorrowLoot Ultimate makes it so that all the Elven/Dwarven/Ebony/etc. stuff is a lot rarer, either hand-placed or reserved for leveled boss-type loot. Fortify smithing stuff is mostly removed so no more silly fortifying cycles. I've got Trade and Barter setup so that for an item with a base value of say 100, merchants will only pay about 17 gold while they sell it for 600, with some adjustments based on race/speech/friendliness/etc. That seems to be what Skyrim Redone uses too, and so far I'm liking it. I got about 2000 gold from selling my loot from a bandit den and the whole of Bleak Falls Barrow, and spending it goes really quickly. Horse and house prices aren't adjusted, but the 1000 for a horse and the 5000 for the first house is still something I don't really have the money for. Perhaps I should find something to raise those prices a bit more though. Unintentionally, the Skyrim Coin Replacer also makes me get less money. Instead of finding Septims in ancient dungeons like Bleak Falls Barrow, they're replaced with Haralds (and Dumacs for dwemer ruins). They're not accepted as currency, and because of Trade and Barter I can only sell them for a third of their value.

I was thinking about going with the original MorrowLoot, but disabling crafting of higher tier gear went a bit too far I think. I hope that with the Complete Crafting Overhaul and disabling the salvaging feature of SPERG, crafting will still be fun but not too powerful.

Edit: Hmm, thinking about restarting with this mod, making homes, furniture, inns and such a lot more expensive.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 17, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Yeah I do have something like 3-4 Morrowloot patches installed at this time; I'm not entirely trusting of something that needs so much duct tape to stay together. I'm not even sure it works because I already found some Dwemer stuff in Bleakfalls Barrow (though admittedly in the 'boss' chest at the end). I haven't started a new run yet so I might switch to Scarcity. Got any good rarity multipliers to recommend? I've never made Bashed patches before; I probably should what with Immersive Armors/Weapons and a bunch of other such mods installed as well.

I also thought about installing the Complete Alchemy and Cooking Overhaul, but when I read the feature "Adds 51 new critters: 21 moths & butterflies, 11 dragonflies, and 19 pond fish", I thought gently caress that. I'm not going to go through the trouble of plucking 30 different kinds of flying object out of the air. The vanilla alchemy and cooking had more than enough ingredients already.

Edit: Also, on a restart attempt, the Skyrim police was tossing me around in the wagon again despite using the ENBoost FPS limiter. So yeah, I'm switching to the Nvidia Inspector solution instead.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 17, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

I don't remember which options I'm using and my hard drive just died on me yesterday so I can't check; really hoping I'm going to be able to put everything back the way it was from backups and not have to start completely over :sigh:

After about 15 levels of playing, I must say that Scarcity was a good recommendation, thanks. I used the author's default settings (6x loot rarity, 4x merchant rarity) and that has worked out splendidly so far. Most chests only contain some gold and getting actual loot has become pretty noteworthy. It also adds significance to quests that reward you with enchanted pieces of equipment like the Whiterun Axe. And uninstalling MorrowLoot Ultimate and making a bashed patch has been a big improvement in mod compatibility too.

The combo of Scarcity, 'Trade and Barter', and 'More Expensive Services and Assets', has made it so that only after 15 levels of saving have I been able to finally buy a house. Getting the required 15,000 gold together when there is hardly any high-value loot around and merchants only pay about 30% of the usual prices has been a lot trickier than I expected. It also means that quest rewards that give you a few hundred coins, or bribes that require a few hundred, are a lot more meaningful. I've never been so happy before with an unupgraded, empty hovel with a chest and a bed.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

Is my crafting level not high enough? For what it's worth, I'm playing a high elf, so I should be able to make elven armor since I have the perk for it.

Are you using the Complete Crafting Overhaul? It automatically hides recipes if you don't have the required crafting ingredients in your inventory. Switch that off and you should be able to see everything.

Edit: And by off, I mean, switch it so it just shows all crafting recipes at the stations. The option was meant to reduce clutter, but with the SkyUI I always just either search for a specific item or sort by damage/armor anyway, so it's not as if the clutter is any bother.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 22, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Goddamnit I love Apocalypse. I'm playing a melee guy so I didn't have much use for spells, but the utility spells alone are a godsend, like negating fall damage in a certain area. And then there's the destructive stuff. I thought I'd give some of the scrolls I had collected a try and see what they'd do. Mechanically, graphically, and in terms of fun, they're better than every single vanilla spell. Spheres of lightning, storms of hail, finally some actual wizardry stuff instead of all the drat zappy deathbeams that TES games always have. I feel sad I only had two scrolls of Shroudwalk, that spell makes sneaking and backstabbing way too much fun.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Seems like I finally broke the game. I'm getting a crash when going near, or fast-traveling to Eldergleam Sanctuary. Luckily I have no reason to go there anymore, but it is somewhat disconcerting to have a NOPE-zone in my Skyrim. The game has been surprisingly stable for an embarrassingly large amount of playtime, even with around 70 mods.

I can't think of anything that might turn the surroundings of Eldergleam Sanctuary into a CTD-zone. I killed the dragon nearby without trouble, the quest inside has been completed ages ago, the Papyrus log is of no help whatsoever, disabling tons of mods till the game no longer works does nothing, and LOOT and the Mod Manager are telling me everything is fine. It must be from a mod I uninstalled and forgot about, or perhaps just a vanilla bug. So I guess I just keep away from that area?

Edit: Tried loading an earlier save, but the only one that lets me go to the surroundings of Eldergleam is way too far back, and there's nothing Eldergleamy about the point where the saves go from ok to nope. I assume that the region reset while I was dicking around in the north and that that somehow has spawned something that doesn't work.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 3, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Now use the console command "COC EldergleamSanctuaryExterior" and see if it still crashes. If that works, fast-travel to Ivarstead see if crashes if you walk to Eldeargleam. If it crashes on either, I'd go check Skyrim's RAM & VRAM usage.

It still crashes after that. It's always the same, a Windows error referring to a "Problem Event Name: BEX". VRAM usage might be it because it's pretty much always maxed out, but on the other hand, it's always been maxed out so far without problems and everything apart from the area around Eldergleam works fine.

I might be getting on track to a solution though. I loaded from the oldest save upwards, traveling to Eldergleam until I got to a save where things no longer work. I think I might've played for an hour or two with Immersive Music back then and it looks suspiciously much like the Eldergleam area stops working after I uninstalled Immersive Music. So I'm reinstalling that for a second and see whether it fixes things. I hate that uninstalling mods can cause problems for Skyrim, sometimes it just takes a bit more than a few minutes to figure out whether you do or don't like a mod.

Edit: Nope, that doesn't seem to be it either. Oh well, as long as it doesn't crash anywhere else I might keep playing, otherwise I'm also fine with the amount of hours I've been able to get already.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Apr 3, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Raygereio posted:

To be fair: Uninstalling mods could also cause problems in the Bethesda-Gamebryo engine Oblivion & FO3 used.
Things like mesh, texture & sound replaces can be added and removed without problems. But always keep a back-up save if you're adding, updating or removing any mod more complex then that in an ongoing game.

Yeah I think I remember that about a week ago I saw a load order list here and installed a few mods that looked interesting. Apart from Immersive Music I can't quite retrace my other steps. I do remember that it was just after I had to load an earlier save because Lakeview Manor had reset two containers and whisked away my items (the end tables are not safe), and it looks like Eldergleam becomes a no-go zone after about the same time.

Crashing solely around Eldergleam seems to come up a few times on the Nexus forums too though, so perhaps it's just something around there that messes things up. The afflicted area seems pretty small and every other location surrounding it still works. I'll probably just continue until whatever CTD-disease brewing around Eldergleam decides to spread elsewhere.

Edit: Really strangely small. Just south of Cronvangr Cave gives the error, Bonestrewn Crest is fine but I can't go too far to the west, the bathing people south-west of Eldergleam are fine but I can't cross their little lake, the Broken Limb Camp is fine but I can't go east of them. I looked at that area in an old save, there's nothing of interest there.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 3, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've pretty much finished everything I wanted to do in my last run, except for Solstheim. I don't really feel like going there with a really high level character that has absolutely no use for new equipment or heck, more levels. So I've been thinking about doing a new run with quest mods and go to Solstheim somewhere in between. I've picked a bunch from Agents are GO!'s recommendation from last page that I thought were interesting, and then went shopping through the top list on the nexus.

Is there anything terrible wrong with any of these that I need to know? Moon and Star; Forgotten City; and a whole series of mods under the title of 'Fight Against the Thalmor'. Moonpath to Elsweyr seems popular, but the voice acting in the trailer and other videos puts me off.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

pwnyXpress posted:

Disabled all JSwords stuff, replaced the bashedpatch with at tes5edit patch, checked in on CCOR-Frostfall compatibility (author says they are), added Uncle Sheo.

Still have the crash in the same area and papyrus log looks pretty much the same. :/

Also, I tried looking at Mator Smash but I really have no idea what to do with all these merging tools so if they don't give me an easy button that says "press this to do the thing" I'm lost. Tried watching the tutorial video and everything and just got more confused.

I think some area-dependent crashes are still remnants from vanilla bugs that occasionally pop up. I posted a while ago about a crash I consistently experienced outside Eldergleam Sanctuary, and I don't think there's any fix for that. After some more playing I got the same crash (some sort of Windows BEX code) south of Riften. I now remember that I used to have crashes in those identical two places the first time I played Skyrim years ago on a different PC, with minimal mods. For some reason those crashes always happen when I re-visit either of those spots after a significant amount of game time has progressed.

As long as you don't need to visit a place specifically outside of a dungeon, you can try to look up the location ID for the dungeon you want to visit, bring up the console and type "coc ReachcliffCave01", in case, for example, you'd want to go to Reachcliff Cave. And then just avoid going near the area that makes you crash. Not really a fix, but I've found no other way to figure out why people crash in certain places as long as there aren't any mods that mess with those areas in particular.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I just finished Moon and Star. It's not bad but just sortof vanilla. The voice acting is all-around decent to good, I liked Little Vivec and its characters, the riddles were nice, and technically its all good. It's just that everything is so... safe. There's enough fetch and FedEx quests in the main game, I'm not installing quest mods to get more of those. Feels like they could've done so much more with all those voice actors rather than to just fill Little Vivec with flavour lines and misc quests. The nostalgia bit was nice though.

On the other hand, I just started Wheels of Lull and drat. I've only been murdering ghosts (and a boss ghost!) in a mine and talking to some...'people' down...somewhere, but it all feels more grand, more weird, more fun. Are all of Trainwiz' mods like that? Cause then I need all of Trainwiz' mods.

TeenageArchipelago posted:

what are some good combat mods? Preferably something that makes the combat more than just button mashing, but not an overcomplicated mess. Basically, not dark souls.

I've been using Combat Evolved together with Deadly Combat and Deadly Dragons. It takes some time getting used to at first because you'll be really wanting to either dodge or block attacks so as not to die, but it's a lot better than the default LARP behaviour where both parties whack at each other with huge cotton swabs. When I first started I had to switch down to apprentice/adept. It might get a bit frustrating against say mages when you don't have a lot of magic resistance, or against particularly strong opponents like my first Old Orc on the side of the road or when higher level enemy spawn kicks in, but having to avoid a few enemies or having to really go all out with scrolls, potions, poisons and abilities makes it feel a lot more rewarding.

Edit: And by dodging I mean just walking around and timing enemy swings. The big guys with two-handed weapons always have a long wind-up and cooldown, something I never cared to notice when I played vanilla. Enemies with one-handers are generally too fast for stuff like that though.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Apr 27, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Yes, they are. It's Aethernautics, Brhuce Hammar: Legacy, Lost Wonders of Mzark, Blackreach Railroad, Dwemer Spectres, and Fyr Manor (don't neglect to grab the fix mod I made for Fyr Manor.) Even his follower mod (Brhuce Hammar: Legacy) and his house mod (Fyr Manor) have that weird majesty. Brhuce has several neat quests involved, while Fyr Manor has you exploring all over to activate the various rooms.

Thanks, I installed the lot of them. I already looked at some of them earlier it seems and then didn't install them cause of the weirdness factor, but playing through Wheels of Lull has me convinced that that's perfectly fine and exactly what I didn't know I wanted.

Before I got my hands on them I thought they'd be jarring. Now I can't wait to toy around with harquebuses and jump around in puddles of space-time continuum or whatever he's concocted.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I was just about to venture into the 'Lost to the Ages' questline where you hunt for the Aetherium forge when I remembered there being a mod for adding aetherium weapons and armor. Looking at it in Mod Organizer, there seem to be 40 armor texture files that conflict with either Dwemer Spectres (related to dwarven sphere centurions) or Lost Wonders of Mzark (38 files in textures/armor/dwarvenpwr/). Do I need to be concerned about that? I'd also basically be installing the Aetherium weapon and armor mod right before entering Arkngthamz and I happen to already have one of the shards from just generally running around the world. Is that going to be a problem?

Edit: Huh not sure why I'm so worried about those few conflicts when there's tons of texture conflicts between all my mods. Seems that's normal and not a problem.
Edit edit: Dwemer spectres are good poo poo. Anything that adds more to Dwemer ruins that isn't goddamn Falmer is good poo poo in my book, but these spectres look especially great.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 2, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

kilinrax posted:

Random SPERG question - anyone know how Mage Oil judges "high quality jewelry"? Will it recognise modded jewelry like Ebony Arcane Double Rings?

Make a few jewelry pieces with various worth and check how much the enchantment value changes. I did some testing a while ago and you reach the max buff amount already with fairly low values, anything above 150-250 was enough I think, so pretty much anything with a gem in it (I forgot the exact number).

Edit: In other content, just finished Blackreach Railroad. How the hell did he fit all of that into a 14mb mod? Goddamn that's some majestic trainstuff. Also finished Aethernautics a while ago. It's... well, it's a bit of a walking simulator, but a good one. The weapons are fun, the environments impressive, the lore pieces are a good read; there's just not a whole lot to do apart from walking around and enjoying things.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 16:18 on May 6, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've been enjoying SPERG a lot, almost every tree is great. The only one I don't much like is the light armor tree. Nomad for faster horses is sweet, but everything else seems very underwhelming when compared to the heavy tree. You get all the good stuff in the heavy armor tree, like defenses against magics, arrows, and melee. 'Iron Will' against paralysis and enemy unrelenting force shouts feels almost mandatory (especially for some of Trainwiz' mods). Meanwhile with light armor I... get to run away a lot?

I've also avoided the conjuration tree, but mostly because the good stuff I get to conjure from Apocalypse is neither undead nor an atronach, and most of the specialization SPERG perks for conjuration mention either undead or atronachs specifically, making me wonder whether they'd have any effect at all on all the cool daedra I prefer to conjure.

Is SPERG-Ordinator good?

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Finished a few quest mods. Forgotten City is very good, probably the best I've played through so far. Apart from some shaky recording quality in the reading of the letter at the start, the rest of the voice acting is great. It's got a wonderful little story, good level design, interesting people and stuff to discover. Heck it's more fleshed out than pretty much all the rest of Skyrim and there wasn't a single moment where I thought it was wasting my time with meaningless tasks.

Also finally finished The Wheels of Lull. Good stuff, though it got a bit tedious in the end. That only leaves Last Wonders of Mzark and Konahrik's Accoutrements before I'm finally done. Or... well, before I finally ship to Solstheim because I've never been there. Or before I go back and install more mods...

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Konahrik's Accoutrements is really good. Some feature creep, but since the quest spans a lot of the game, it's not very noticeable. Overall, it adds stuff (dragon priest armor and mask crafting) that should be in the game to begin with.

Yep, just finished Revakheim. It's a very pretty and nicely made dungeon. Seems like there's a bit more to do over on Solstheim too?

The only complaint I have is that the mod doesn't play very well with the wizard armor alteration perk from SPERG (multiplies armor from spells by 4 if you're not wearing armor). There's a bunch of masks and armors that are perfect for a wizard, but if any of them actually have an armor rating, I lose the bonus from the perk. Oh well, that's not too bad, especially now that the dragon priest sets look so good.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I've only been using 1.3.11 on Windows 7, but with a lot of Skyrim modding files including MO I've had to enable "Run this program as an administrator" to get them to work properly.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Nullkigan posted:

I'm looking for something that affects the gameplay a little, but mostly stuff that renovates the graphics and fine-tunes the base game:
  • SPERG, or Ordinator, or both (the SPERG-Ordinator recommended modlist seems broken as gently caress)
  • Graphical updates - Mesh improvements/SMIM, hairs, better faces / bodies, new armours and weapons
  • Various small patches - better stealing, guard dialogue overhauls, realistic forces(?), quality map, alternative starts
  • New magic would be cool as well, but I'm probably going to play an archer instead
  • Maybe extra quests like Falskaar?
  • Maybe a 305 enb?

I went with SPERG for my last two consecutive runs and it's cool. Most skill trees end up a lot more useful, and the auto-perks you get mean you can still get decent at things you don't want to invest too much points into. I have no experience with Ordinator

The Static Mesh Improvement Mod didn't seem to impact performance much but made things look a lot better without being out of place. Purity is a good alternative for Climates of Tamriel. It might be a tad too dark at night, but there's another mod to change that. For my indoors lighting effects I went with Relighting Skyrim, it's not as heavy an overhaul as other mods, but it's also not pitch black like some. Skyrim Flora Overhaul is good at making plants look pretty and the lighter version doesn't impact performance too much. I've got a tiny graphics card, so I went with Optimized Vanilla Textures, which is basically the Bethesda high resolution DLC but, well, optimized. If I didn't have video RAM concerns, I'd have probably gone with Skyrim HD.

For armors and weapons I go with Complete Crafting Overhaul, Immersive Armors, Immersive Weapons, Cloaks, and Bandoliers (that last one mostly to just cheat myself into being able to carry 1000+ weight so I don't have to constantly bother with playing inventory management). Cloaks and Bandoliers are integrated into Complete Crafting Overhaul. You'll still have to download those mods if you want to use them but you shouldn't load the .esp's, only the resources (so uncheck the .esp for them in the right MO screen, if I recall correctly).

A Quality World Map is a good map mod. If you feel like you want to see where you're going on roads without having to open the map all the time, Point the Way is also nice to have.

Apocalypse and possibly More Apocalypse are very good spell mods and I highly recommend them. Even if you're not a mage, it's fully worth it for the utility spells alone (like being able to fall from heights with Drop Zone, or walking faster, swimming faster, walking on water).

Forgotten City has been the quest mod I've been most impressed with so far (except for the wonky voice acting at the very start in a letter, the rest is very good). If you don't mind weird but still cool and fun stuff, give Trainwiz' mods a try. Blackreach Railroad and Wheels of Lull were probably the ones I liked the most from that list.

Imaginator is a good poor man's ENB, or in case you don't want to end up fiddling with ENB settings that mostly just make your game look good for screenshots and terrible to actually play with.

I'm probably forgetting a ton of mods.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 22, 2016

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Immersive Weapons as well as Immersive Armors are good mods. Even if you only use the weapons/armor with good or high stats, they'll still add some top tier items to make for more variety. Besides, the tantos, katanas, bows, and pretty much all of the armors look drat nice.

If you haven't already, you could also raise some armor/weapon stats through the perks from SPERG and make lower tier items more competitive through that. Heck, perhaps the alchemy perk that improves leather/fur is a bit too good, I only switched away from leather/fur late-game when I got tired of wearing the same stuff. There's also a +25% steel/iron armor perk, +25% elven/dwarven armor, and a +30% iron/steel/orcish weapon damage perk. Might not be enough to put it on the same level as daedric, but at least good enough so you don't get Oblivion flashbacks from whaling away at enemies for half an hour.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

If I remember correctly, you can just use RaceMenu to change your eyes to whatever you want them to be. As long as you don't actually change your race with racemenu everything should work fine with that console command. I'm not sure whether, without that mod, the console command also works properly and let's you change vamp eyes to normal eyes though.

Edit: That mod page seems to take for granted that people know how to use console commands. Open the console with your tilde key, ` or ~ or whatever weird jumble you have there, the thing left of your 1 button. For some reason the first letter I type once I'm in the console always gets ignored. The console command for the racemenu is showracemenu.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't work :( I think Vampires might count as a separate race, and it seems they only get 1 eye color to choose from. At least this mod seems really interesting regardless! I had avoided it earlier because of the images, filing it away as one of "those" mods but I guess it's just an expanded character creator.

I might just give up on this thing then. I mean, I could start a new character as a Khajiit and get it that way but.. I wanted to be a huge scary viking not a cat.

The obvious solution to any Skyrim problem is more mods. You could try Better Vampire Fangs and Eyes, which has a non-glowing eye option that doesn't seem to look too bad.

Switching back to normal eyes seems to be more complicated than I thought. Apparently when you become a vamp the game switches to textures\actors\character\eyes\eyevampire_01.dds for eye textures and doesn't allow anything else (that's for the Dawnguard Vampire lords, the non-Dawnguard vamp version seems to use different eye textures again). Which means you could download some eye texture mods, pick one you like, rename it eyevampire_01.dds and use it to replace the original, but it seems there might still be a problem with some glow remaining.

• Locked thread