Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Live Another Life gave me so much grief I dropped it entirely in favor of Random Alternate Start
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/25404/

Which let's you pick a class, and throws you into the world. The main quest isn't started until you get near Helgen.

Also nice because you can say "gently caress Arthmoor" and use as few of his mods as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Scyantific posted:

What exactly gave you trouble about LAL?

Activating the main quest wouldn't work for me most of the time, coupled with the dumb way of activating the main quest (Shady Sam?), plus it's arthmoor.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Scyantific posted:

Just for the record, you can ignore the Shady Sam garbage and simply head to Helgen to activate the main quest on its own. Also if you're having trouble, try reading the FAQ. Do you think you might have a mod that interferes with MQ101?

I ain't no scrub, I've been modding bethesda games for almost a decade. I've read the FAQ (which also doesn't mention anything about the added NPC's). You don't happen to be arthmoor are you? You seem pretty invested in me liking LAL.

^^If requiem hasn't changed anything in a few months then yeah, it's that way. The author has a weird definition of balance. Also they're all probably archers that one-shot you.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Playing with a bunch of mods perfectly fine.

Installed a couple immersive animation packs, game now refuses to go past the Bethesda logo even after disabling mods and numerous file verifications. Skyrim.esm appears to have gone missing as well.

What.

It appears as though your method of installation may be at fault. How did you install it and what mod did you install?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

vvvv - As I said above the mod managers don't seem to work for me. :v:

You need to get Mod Manager to work. I don't care how many demons you have to sacrifice cattle to, you must get one to work if you want Skyrim modding to happen.

Drag and drop only works for morrowind.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

futile posted:

"Apocalypse New" is out. Author of Apoc Spell Package completely remade his mod from the ground up.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/16225

Anyone tried it yet or able to explain any significant changes?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

All of those problems can be modded away. Except for maybe the overwhelmed-ness.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

LtSmash posted:

I've not but it looks like its the same code put into a dx wrapper so you don't need to gently caress with skse. Queued is the author of NV anti crash and is regarded as about as knowledgeable as any modder of beth games. MongoMonk collaborated on that mod and I know him as a solid modder as well.

Argh, I just want someone to come to a consensus on what makes the most stable setup in terms of Queued's dll, making your own skse dll, using safety load or not, etc. I always wait 3-4 months before making a new skyrim config, but I don't know if this is an issue I should jump on asap or just wait it out. I guess because it doesn't affect mods themselves in the slightest I could just do that part last.

The most important part though is does this mean I can go nuts with my graphical mods now? I've got a 6970 2GB, but I remember a few months back doing anything more than 1024x1024 wasn't recommended (even with super comps) due to memory restrictions piling up and causing crashes. Does this mean the memory restrictions on Skyrim itself are mostly lifted and the bottleneck is now my GPU?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Does anyone have a good suggestion for artifact adding/balancing mods?

I'm considering Morrowloot, which has the added benefit of making daedric unique, but if there was a simple "Hey Keening doesn't suck now" that would be awesome.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Read through the OP again in my hunt for random mods and discovered there isn't an alternate link for SRO.

I've got it, should I upload it somewhere? And if so what filehost would make the most sense?

(if uploading some german guys vidya game textures counts as :filez: let me know)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Axeface posted:

This is about as minor as mod problems go, but I'm having trouble getting this sucker to work. All it does is add a minor speechcraft boost for every book you read; I can't imagine that really touching anything else too heavily, and just to be sure I've put it on the very bottom of my MO load order. It shows up fine, nothing overwritten in either direction. Still not working, though. Can anybody throw me a bone on at least how to check what's going wrong?

Depending on how the author did it, it may not show up as a huge "SPEECHCRAFT INCREASED |-------->--|" bar. There's also a few restrictions on what books affect it (can't be a bethesda skill book, must be a poem, history, etc).

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Axeface posted:

So this is me not knowing poo poo: How would I check that, and if it's what's happening, how would I get the script to start back up again?

I did some digging through the files, and the biggest thing is ensuring you have advancespeech.pex in your folder (that's the script it uses). Other than finding a silly typo ("Yourr speechcraft...") it hasn't elucidated any problems it could have.

the code in question:
code:
Scriptname AdvanceSpeech extends ObjectReference  

Int Property SpeechIncrease = 600 Auto  
Int SpeechGained = 0

Event OnRead()
	if SpeechIncrease < 600 
		SpeechIncrease = 600 
	endif

if  SpeechGained == 0
		Int currentSpeechLevel = Game.GetPlayer().GetActorValue("Speechcraft") as int
		if currentSpeechLevel < 5
			currentSpeechLevel = 5
		endif
		float extraSkill = currentSpeechLevel * 0.01
		extraSkill = 1 + extraSkill 
		float incrementSkill = SpeechIncrease * extraSkill 

Game.AdvanceSkill("Speechcraft",incrementSkill )
		 SpeechGained = 1
		Debug.Notification("Your speechcraft is now enriched!" )

elseif SpeechGained == 1
		 Game.AdvanceSkill("Speechcraft",200 )
		 SpeechGained = 2
		Debug.Notification("Yourr speechcraft is improved a bit more...")

else
		Debug.Notification("Nothing new to learn from this book.")

endif
endEvent
It's pretty basic, not sure what would go wrong there.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Edmond Dantes posted:

I've been toying with the idea of starting a new "survival" style game, using frostfall, hunterborn, realistic needs and doing some tweaks to the interface: getting rid of the compass, getting that "first person map" (that doesn't have the position), and installing the map merchants.

Now, while that sounds like a good idea in paper, I'm afraid I'm going to be spending more time managing the survival aspect than actually getting stuff done. How "intrusive" is frostfall (especially if combined with realistic needs)? Is it just another thing to take into account, or does become more an impediment than fun?

Frostfall isn't as intrusive as realistic needs. I always start with realistic needs and end up disabling it after a few hours. It's easier to just remember to eat and pretend you have it installed.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

So I got no reply on my previous post, so I guess I'll make it short: is Immersive Armors (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/19733/) compatible with Morrowloot? And I'm considering getting the realvision ENB (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30936/) but it seem to want me to download fuckloads of mods to make it even look good. Is it really needed?
Yes to the first one, the stipulation being if you want to stick with Morrowloot's vision you have to disable "craftable" on most armor. RealVision doesn't have you install "fuckloads", rather it just requires CoT 3.1 plus optional lighting solutions. If you're using vanilla lighting then ENB isn't for you.

quote:

I have SkyTweak, and see that in its configuration panel every skill level up rate is at 1.0. Does this mean that it overrides SPERGS alternate skill gain, or is the multiplier from SkyTweak multiplied with SPERGS rate? The SkyTweak info page says that its tweaks are added as "Stacker(+)Perk", so they are treated separately than straight up modifications to the .ini's?
I'm also curious about this one - I've run them both in the past, and set up SkyTweak to SPERG's values, but I'm not sure how much of an impact that had. If anyone knows for sure I'd love to know. And how does it interact with Elys Uncapper values?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Wait it stacks multiplicatively or additively? I was wondering how SkyTweak interacts with Elys, but if what you're saying is true, and what my gut tells me, all SkyTweak is doing is adding another value to multiply by in the grand scheme of things. It isn't overwriting other leveling mod's values, nor does it have a way to import those values, it just says whatever you have now is "x1". Is that correct?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

GAY RETARD posted:

So i have ENB and some mods installed, and it runs fine with like 30-45 fps, but it seems whenever I enter an instance and then head back out to skyrim the frame rate drops to unplayable levels until I quit and restart the game. Im using the script extender, so im wondering what it could be thats causing that.

It's not the script extender if that's what you're thinking. Default ugridstoload?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I have a feeling this may backfire, but I'm going to see if Grandmaster can live alongside SPERG, loaded after. gently caress speechcraft in Skyrim anyway.

Yes, I've actually done this one before (also gently caress speechcraft). If only Grandmaster were still updated.

mbt fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 28, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Flagrant Abuse posted:

As it turns out, I have no idea how to merge mods to cut down on the number of .esps I use (currently 248 :gonk:) nor how to merge levelled lists so everything actually shows up. Any chance I could get someone to explain it to me as though I were 80 years old?

The easiest way is honestly cut down on the fluff you don't need. Are you REALLY needing all 248 esps? Teaching someone Tesedit is a lot harder than "use different mods with less esps". If you're using mod manager some esp's don't need to be activated, especially if they just activate bsa's or textures.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Overemotional Robot posted:

I've installed the Uncapper and SPERG, but I'm still getting a perk every level instead of two. Everything else seems to be working fine. Do I need to edit that bit manually?

SPERG comes with its own skse folder with a custom uncapper ini. Even if you have MO I found it easier to just manually put the ini in the correct place. SPERG also doesn't unpack correctly with MO (DLC doesn't get put in the main folder) so I wouldn't be surprised if the ini also failed to be moved.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

UoI posted:

Game keeps crashing now, even with all mods uninstalled. I also tried reinstalling Skyrim and verifying the files but that didn't work. What did I do. :ohdear:

then it is not a vanilla install
http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

futile posted:

So there's now an alpha release of the upcoming big SKSE version. Which is exciting because there's a ton of new functions for modders including some important API functions. Also, it has that Sheson memory fix patch built into it.

Sheson has not only fixed Skyrim's memory, he's also fixed the SKSE people into releasing the first patch in half a year.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

When MO opens the installer for SPERG, even if you select DG and DB DLC options, they don't get added to the main MO folder.

MO does weird stuff with SKSE sometimes, so I have that installed manually to skyrim/data/skse to make sure nothing overrides that.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Technogeek posted:

What version of Mod Organizer are you guys running?

1.1 beta, downloading the newest version of SPERG.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Siets posted:

Don't know if this is significant or not. I have no idea what a Bash Tag is or how to implement that suggestion.

It's nothing you should worry about. It's just merged patch stuff that if you're not running anything that completely messes with spawns / new items it won't matter.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Make_Skyrim_Vanilla_Again
^try that first

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

bobtheconqueror posted:

Yeah, just had another semi-random crash without me doing anything other than fighting some bandits, so I think SPERG perks are causin' trouble. Just to make sure, I put the mod exclusion thing with all of the SPERG esm and esp stuff at the very top of the ini, above patch settings, right? That way it completely ignores it?

I'm not seorin so I can't say exactly, but I am almost positive SPERG perks did not give you a crash.

:siren:reminder that SKSE has an alpha with the memory patch built in http://skse.silverlock.org/ :siren:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Praetorian Mage posted:

Could you not just rename/delete all the folders related to Skyrim and then redownload the game through Steam?

Yeah if you have a fast connection and want to wait.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

I played mostly vanilla Skyrim up until now but I want to go nuts with mods. I've already started but the main thing I want, which may not exist, is something to make the female characters have the body of a warrior and not a model, even with the bulk slider all the way up. Or hell, any diversity in body types at all inside of one race, regardless of gender. Is that possible?

edit: beaten to the CNHF suggestion

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

YggiDee posted:

I'm not real clear on how body-replacers work in these games. Will armour and clothing still show correctly, or will I have to download all new equipment to go with it? Does this change all female characters, or just the player?

All those armor specific to body-replacers just fit the armor to the specific replacer. If you don't run that armor all that happens is you warp bodyshapes when you put on equipment. Also it changes all female characters because bethesda coding.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

King Dead posted:

There's like a hundred Breezehome mods and half of them don't say if they're compatible with Hearthfire or not so.. does anyone know what would be my best bet for a simple mod that gives breezehome a decent-sized library and doesn't remove the alchemy station for a kid's room?

Hearthfire doesn't affect vanilla housing which is why they don't need compatibility
edit: welp, uesp didn't mention that

mbt fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 2, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gonbon posted:

I got sick of loot management and made an auto-sell thing.

The whole video I was thinking "why would I spend time selecting items when I already have to do that every time", and then I read

quote:

If you mark an item as junk it is always recognized as junk even after selling the last item of that type

You're incredible.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You don't HAVE to install the uncapper, it's just recommended, otherwise you get a ton of perks which tends to unbalance the game. To "properly" install it the MO folder for the uncapper should be mods/Uncapper/SKSE/plugins/*the actual data* and I think the folder might just give you the DLL's. Then make sure SPERG has the same skse/plugins/uncapper.ini setup and have it load after the uncapper. You can either create those folders and hope MO loads them correctly or do what I did and just hard-install them to the actual skyrim/data/skse/plugins folder then overwrite the given uncapper ini with the SPERG one.

MO did some weird stuff with skse plugins in the past, and it might not be the case anymore, but I don't take any chances. Plus it's easy this way and doesn't clutter up my MO list with single files I'd be using anyway.

VVV I assumed he tried that, otherwise :smith: come on man. The uncapper might not have the data directories set up.

mbt fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 3, 2014

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

felat posted:

This seems to have worked as it got rid of the error message and the Uncapper was added to my list of mods. However, I started a new character with the Uncapper and SPERG installed, got him to level 4 and still got a perk point at every level, even though in SPERG's description it says that it automatically adjusts perk points. I guess I'll have to try and manually adjust the perk points awarded in the game files.

Just to be sure, when I install the Uncapper, should I have access to some options in-game using SKYui to adjust it's settings? Because I don't, which makes me think it's not properly installed even though it's in my MO list.

Uncapper uses an ini in the skse/plugins folder. Overwrite the one in there with the SPERG uncapper ini. I told ya man, MO does dumb things with skse plugins. Installing it directly always works.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

I'm using NMM, and having a hard time installing Immersive Armors v7, and Interesting NPCs. Interesting NPCs crashes NMM even before it opens just by being in the mod folder, and Immersive Armors v7 will allow me to try to install it, will bring up the dialog box asking me whether I want it to be compatible with some body mod I've never heard of before, but then it will halt mid-installation and say it was not successfully activated.

I don't really want to switch to MO, since in the past I've had issues with other mods not installing properly with it. Is there a manual way to install these two mods?

You don't want to. Switching to MO is painless and ultimately the way to go, as manually installing with MO consists of creating a folder and dragging and dropping the files into it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

I'm sure it's not magic, but, uh, it does adjust the load order to be more or less correct for known mods, right? I thought that was the whole point.

It gives good suggestions to the best of its ability but it isn't infallible. BOSS's rules are either "groups" or "comparisons". If the mod is a "compatibility patch" it gets tagged that by one of the BOSS people and automatically loads near the end. There are also comparison checks like "Load this after X". Because this is a volunteer effort, inevitably someone tags patch A and B as patches, but forgets to have patch B load before A as a rule. Also they've gotten pretty lax these days about adding new up-and-coming mods. Sometimes it'll be weeks before they get added to the rule list, so until then you have to add them manually.

The worst part is BOSS nearly almost ensures a clean load, despite any errors you might have, which means the only way you'll find that error in load order is by playing the game until you see something out of place. "False sense of security" etc etc.

edit: BOSS is a good tool and you should definitely use it though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hey for all of those people working on Morrowloot upgrades this guy did one:
http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/50740/

What has changed:

quote:

1) Elven, Glass, Ebony, and Orcish equipment recipes are craftable again, however there will be a race and smithing skill requirements for them:
-- Altmers can craft Elven and Glass equipment as soon as they obtain the appropriate smithing perk.
-- Orcs can craft Orcish equipment as soon as they obtain the appropriate smithing perk.
-- Any other race will need more levels in smithing in order to craft those equipment. To be exact, you will need an extra 20 points in your Smithing skill level to be able to craft them.
-- Ebony can be crafted by anyone, but has to be done on the Skyforge. Lore-wise you need the best forges in order to craft ebony. The Skyforge is one of them.

2) Dwarven equipment is craftable, but will require the Ancient Knowledge perk you get from one of the quests in the game.

3) Adds a few more hand placed items. Specifically mage items like spell tomes, staves, and mage clothing, since Morrowloot seems to focus more on armors and weapons.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Stalins Moustache posted:

So uh. I got Skyrim Mod Manager as written in the OP, and I'm trying to download mods from the nexus with it but it keeps saying that "failed to request file from nexus". What do I do?

Ynglaur posted:

Go into Settings > Workarounds and set the NMM Version field to 0.47.0.

literally the same page.

come on, man.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

You're either putting things in the override directory of MO or the data files directory of skyrim

Either one is a no-no. I'm not saying that's what caused your crash, but it's not helping. Also SkyUI should load before bashed patch, dunno what it's doing there.

Clean your skyrim directory with the link I've posted in this topic a few times and try that. If you have ENB wrongly configured that is 100% your problem.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raygereio posted:

If you're using Mod Organizer, be sure you've editted the .ini file your MO profile uses (located under \ModOrganizer\profiles\<profile name>\).

or select the ini editor in MO itself and edit it through that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mammal Sauce posted:

In big collaborative project news: there's a team working on a quest mod set on one of Nirn's moons. They're aiming for something close to Dragonborn in terms of scope, with an estimated three-year development period.

Seems pretty pie-in-the-sky until you get to the bit where it turns out Michael Kirkbride is involved and throwing cash at the project :stare:

And trainwiz is helping them / acting as consultant. Kirkbride's whole stance is "canon is everything you want it to be", partially because he's a cool guy and partially because he wants all his forum posts and anything he blogs about to be "canon".

• Locked thread