Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Are there any good warpaint mods I should look into? Particularly interested in non-facial warpaints. Wanna make my Redguard "stab you with a sword in the face" man be a little more interesting. I know Racemenu adds body paint as an option but I haven't found poo poo for paints beyond the default few RM includes. Is it hard to make them or what :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Smells like you should just console yourself the good stuff. I mean that section seems to imply "if you don't harvest everything, it won't reset right" but it means per area, possibly per-cell? But I have no idea how you'd handle stuff in the worldmap of Skyrim that way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kilroy posted:

Hi, I made this mod.

Hey, thanks for clarifying. I'm lazy so I just console stuff (hence my suggestion) but I think the mod is pretty nice for people who aren't cheating bastards like me :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ugh, gently caress Arthmoor's feature creep. I use Live Another Life because I'm sick of the Helgen sequence.

There are other mods which just skip the Helgen thing, use one of those? I use one which dumps you in the cavern right before you exit, gives you a prompt of "Stormcloaks or Imperials?", spawns the correct NPC, fits you with an appropriate selection of gear, and then you're out the door and on your way.

No nonsense, works great. Can't remember the name right now but I can look it up later if you like.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah, that sounds right. No problems at all.

also I had no idea the same author made these two mods. They sound great and I should use them:
Divine Punishment for Mention of Arrows in the Knee
Daedric Punishment for Insults Related to Sweetrolls

any time a guard whines about an arrow he gets hit with a bolt of lightning, anytime they insult you about sweetrolls Sheogorath zaps them. :laugh:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xillah posted:

Thanks for this worked a treat, shame my frame rate dropped with project smb, will try the others ans see if things improved.

Your framerates will drop with all ENB profiles; it's only a matter of how much.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Xillah posted:

It went from 50-60fps to sub 20 in some areas If I can get one that stays around the 30fps mark I'll be happy.

Might be worth your time to find one that you think looks nice and then tweak for performance. DOF and blur and all that poo poo can really ruin framerates, so you just selectively disable effects until you like what you've got. Since you can tweak ENB on the fly ingame it's pretty easy to dial into exactly what you're happy with.

Well, once you get past the occasionally incomprehensible variable names/values.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah I don't think anyone should be surprised Arthmoor loves this feature.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Kilroy posted:

MO: the cool mod manager for cool people all of who have to come to this thread for help when it doesn't loving work.

But yeah, still earning that glowing recommendation in the OP :rolleyes:

are you really so invested in a mod manager for a video game because this is not the first time I've seen you angrypost about MO. Worthless angryposting too since it's not like you're suggesting an alternative or pointing out specifics of how other_mod_manager_x is superior to a particular MO issue so basically, please just give it up. Nobody cares.

ps: MO owns, cannot imagine Skyrim modding without it, might have to rebuild my NV mod list in it too. Switching full modlist profiles in like, two clicks, is completely great.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 27, 2013

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Why not just get Fallout Mod Manager for that? It's basically the exact same program but designed for the Bethesda-produced Fallouts.

I use FOMM. what it doesn't let me do as easily as MO is switch entire modlists in and out seamlessly. That's probably a very small edge-case for use, but I do it pretty frequently trying to build up different modlists for testing/playing/screwing around/whatever.

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I swear whenever I want to get something, Nexus is down :argh:

so....always?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

For your purposes the one other thing I'd keep in mind is that when you make a new MO profile you have to redo alllll the initial config stuff. Basics like ini edits, graphics options, that kinda thing. It's only a one-time (per profile) thing, but it'll catch you.

someone better versed in MO than I might know if duplicating a profile lets you duplicate all those settings, but I made my profiles all from scratch so I don't know.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Depends on the mod. Huge ones packed in ultra-compression 7zips, yeah. Also given that Nexus has been making GBS threads itself lately, I imagine that's not helping.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

Also subscribing to mods is awful.

I think the idea has merit, but like a lot of things involving user experience in Steam, is half-baked. They need to allow you to flag mods as "do not auto-update" just like they allow you to flag games to enable/disable auto-update. The functionality is already there, they just have to extend it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

kaschei posted:

What parts of your character do you want to import? There are ways to export and import faces, and skills, levels, and items can be added via the console. I assume if it's a new save you don't want guild membership or ranks or titles? Those would be trickier I imagine.

I didn't ask the question, but I'd be interested in knowing how to import/export faces. Bonus points if it applies to Fallout New Vegas, but Skyrim alone is cool too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

kaschei posted:

I reinstalled windows and didn't touch my MO folder and everything works, except that MO is no longer associated with nexusmod links.

Is it safer to just reinstall MO, or is there some way to make that file association myself?

Reinstalling programs after reinstalling your OS is usually a good idea, so probably? But in case you don't want to you should be able to do this: Right-click a nexusmod link and pick "Open with" and then find MO. check the "always use this program to open this type of link/file/whatever" box.

You can also reset and change file associations in Windows, go to Control Panel, then Default Programs. If it shows up in there, you can tell Windows to open that type of link with MO.

I can't say if this will work specifically for nexusmod links because I don't actually think I've ever seen one. I download most stuff manually. :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I've been away from Skyrim for like a year and forever and I wanted to get back in. I want to keep a pretty minimal mod list this time - I've got it mostly worked out except visual mods. What are the current ENBs worth trying?

Ideally, I want one which is easy to install and does not require 47 helper mods or have a required mod list a mile long. Just something I can drop in to a fairly close to vanilla game and call it a day. Not making interiors super dark would be another nice benefit though I guess I'm familiar enough with tweaking Fallout New Vegas ENB profiles to be able to handle that in Skyrim, too.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mod drama: :lol:

Skyrim not drama: Is there a companion I can recruit who can sling around awesome magic spells? I want a magician follower, maybe with access to something better than ice spike. Or is there a way I can tweak an NPC and turn one of my million housecarls I don't use into a magician with stats to match?

alternate boring option: a really good archer

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Legendary Ptarmigan posted:

Marcurio. He spawns in the Bee and Barb tavern.

Perfect. Thanks! I'd totally forgotten this guy existed (probably because I'm never in Riften)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'd be interested to see what Purity does (or doesn't)

also I'm looking for a visual/mesh mod for arrows. Is there one out there that makes arrows longer (so they don't clip into the bow, because that is dumb) and/or lets me pick one quiver type for all arrows? Hopefully something simple like steel - I don't want a quiver that can double as a surfboard.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There are a few good arrow mesh mods but this is probably what you're looking for. I don't know about the quiver thing, but you could always just pick out a mesh you like and copy it over all the ones you don't like.

OwlFancier posted:

There is a mod called Nock to Tip which remodels all the arrows, but it also does other things to bows, I'm not sure if you can just use the models?

I'll check these out, thanks. I found Nock to Tip the other day, but I was a little reluctant to dig into NTT because I don't know how well it'd get along with SPERG (if at all) - anyone used both? I guess I could just make sure every change NTT makes to skills is overwritten by SPERG.

Proper Length Arrows, though, looks to be just what I want. All it does is alter the arrow nifs - perfect. I can fix the quivers by swiping meshes out of some other mod, I bet.

Psion fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 4, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

razorrozar posted:

I'd just write it off, but that kills a lot of mods I'd really like to have - not least of which is Skyrim Unbound.

It won't help you for everything but you can get that from the author's website or something instead of Workshop. It was linked a page or two ago.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I think I used Dimes Quickstart way back when I wanted to skip the intro.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/8207/

It's not as flexible as Skyrim Unbound, but it bypasses Helgen. After that, I dunno, console command time.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

As long as you don't change your character's race, showracemenu won't cause a problem. I think it's probably best to save, quit to main menu, and reload after any tweaking to make sure everything sets correctly but it's no big deal.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

I feel like, despite MO's complexity, a beginner user could probably just ignore most of its functionality and install mods and run LOOT through its interface and be fine. And then learn the other features as needed. Not sure though.

I do know that I never want to go back to figuring out install-order-level conflicts any other way.

pretty much. Set MO to handle Nexus links, download from nexus with the "download with manager" button, sort with loot, go. I think the one thing that might trip you up is having to configure your INIs through MO instead of going to documents\whatever\skyrimprefs.ini

The advanced features are there for the taking but you certainly don't have to use them.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Gyshall posted:

Falksaar and Wyrmstooth both use gigantic 4k textures too, for what that is worth. I generally run with only 2k textures and DDSOpt and other giant texture mods that I'm running down to 2k (Book of Silence, for example.)

The performance boost is pretty significant.

far too many modders say UH MY TEXTURES ARE UNCOMPRESSED FOR A REASON DON'T DDSOpt them!!! and I'm thinking - unless you run this at like 3840x2160 you will never, ever know.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

I'm a terrible nerd who wants to use dual sheath redux and have my dual swords on my back like Geralt (aka both parallel over the right shoulder), but it does the cross-shoulder X layout by default. How do I become vaguely cool and Witcher-like with two one-handed blades? I tried some options (there are about 4 billion) but I didn't find the right ones I guess!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

:negative:

I didn't need to read that. Nobody did, really, but you posted it anyway. (I would've posted it too)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

scamtank posted:

Looking at the sheer amount of tiny unique variations, skinning them all with proprietary 4K textures probably adds up.

uncompressed for maximum effect at destroying your GPU, I bet. :v:

Is there a mod in any FO/TES game which adds combat encounters like that (i.e. "more poo poo in the world to kill, go") that isn't bad? Maybe Marts Mutant Mod for FO3 ...but it's been so long I don't even remember. I don't mean quest mods that are just a string of combat quests but general "more stuff is in the world" kinda mods.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

ANIME IS BLOOD posted:

I think I had this a while ago and it was because it was looking for Java in the wrong place

yeah if you update Java you have to go update the executable shortcut, and it was remarkably resistant to making that easy (turns out there's a button which looks like it should save that doesn't and another button which DOES save the changed path)

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

ModOrganizer shows a bunch of "Unmanaged" mods, but despite it having a long step-by-step tutorial, it seems to have left out any explanations on how to make them into "Managed" mods. So... is there a way, or does Mod Organizer ONLY work if you download and install all mods through it?

Anything that's directly in your Skyrim folder is unmanaged by MO. If I'm reading this right and you're trying to layer MO (in 2015) on top of an install from 2013, that will work in the sense that you can launch Skyrim and play with those mods but you won't get to take advantage of anything MO offers (multiple load orders, conflict resolution, etc etc) until you wipe clean and install all your mods through MO.

The reason for that is MO doesn't know which file in your skyrim data directory goes with which mod, or whether two mods have overwritten the same file, or anything like that - so it can't untangle that mess into "managed" automatically. If you install all your future mods through MO it does know and can handle overrides/conflicts and all that.

Note that some mods are always going to be unmanaged and that's fine - official DLC for example. Anything you are guaranteed to always, always want in every single load order you create is fine if it's "unmanaged."

You can rebuild your existing mod list in MO by wiping clean and reinstalling all your existing mods, and that will sometimes work to launch an old save game, but I was in your position a while ago and I just gave up on my 2013 character and rolled a new one. It was a better choice.

Psion fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jul 22, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

WarLocke posted:

And I spent $20 on Dragonborn last week.

I guess it's the same thing, I just don't have a pretty 'Legendary' game entry. Welp.

Pretty sure nobody does, I have Legendary and it just says The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

axolotl farmer posted:

less than two hours played is a no questions refund on Steam now.

and "it's cheaper" is one of the example reasons they give as an a-ok reason to ask

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Mister Perky posted:

I always figured it was that way deliberately to make the Civil War "deep" and a "difficult choice";

with Bethesda it's hard to be sure, but Legate Rikke suggests to me it was a mistake? Or stupid. I guess it could be both.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Midnight Voyager posted:

The sound quality was pretty good, but her voice was terrible and everything she said made me want to gouge her eyes out.

Also, the modder bitched at Novajam in the comments on his video of it before chickening out and deleting his comments. In fact, it seems the fellow REALLY likes bitching at people who don't like his mod.

If there's a Voiced Companion Mod Bingo, singing has to be a tile on there.

also one of the related videos for that was Novajam's review of the Dark Brotherhood Resurrection. Wwwwwwwow. How did I miss and/or forget that masterpiece of mod making? Not every mod has a Kickstarter leading to a C&D.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQN5BYJo5J4

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Midnight Voyager posted:

I got tired of a bunch of COT compatibility stuff and tried Purity. It's too bad the Purity guy insists his vision of mods is perfect, because the weather seems to look really nice in it, and it has a low footprint. Cloudy nights are just WAY too dark. Haven't seen un-cloudy ones yet, but having nights this dark just means I'll skip over them and never see them.

Apparently that's just because my gamma/brightness are off, so says he, but if I change them, I'm blind in daytime instead.

Are there any similarly lightweight weather mods out there that look pretty good and don't center around "REALISTIC DARKER NIGHTS"?

you can alter light levels at night in ENB profiles without blowing out the day (I think you can adjust day, night, interior, and maybe something else separately) so if you find something close to right, you can tweak it. I routinely bump up the light in ENB in, uh, every game with ENB that I play ever.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

You start to notice if you supersample, though, which is really a pain in the rear end, but these days it's also a super edge case. 4K rendering + actually wanting 4K textures + enb = 0.0000002 fps

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Everything Burrito posted:

Redid my modlist in preparation to start a new game, with the intention of culling some things that were probably responsible for making my last game really unstable...now I have even more mods than I started with. :negative:

yeah but like three weeks from now you should go through your mod list and see which ones of those "sounded cool" but are actually pointless. I've got so many on the chopping block right now, I don't even know what to do about it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

IAmTheRad posted:

But I am using Fire & Ice Overhaul, so the fire causes damage to me. And set an entire hillside on fire after fighting some bandits.

uhhhhhh okay wait I can cause enormous environmental fires with magic? Explain further. I need to know this.

actually I want to make my magic as showy and visually impressive as possible and I don't really need it to be ultimately super effective (it'd be nice though), what's the best way to go about that?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

yeah Brainamp try CNHF 2.5, it should be good for what you want - no noodly arms. I remember looking at it because there was a related mod (maybe the same mod) which made the armors look like actual armor, too.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Quick Mod Organizer question: if a mod doesn't come packaged properly (something like Skyrim Community Uncapper) Would I simply have to right click the data folder and place it at the top in that mod structure box?

Yep. Manually saying "this is the data directory" is exactly the thing to do.

The only downside I've run into is if a mod is structured like
code:
mod.zip
 -readme.txt
 -\data
  --mod.esp
  --mod.bsa
so you specify the data folder and it works fine, but it won't copy the readme over. As long as you copy and relevant info into MO's Notes field, though, it doesn't really matter.

Nerd Of Prey posted:

It had my all-time favorite user comment though: "I'm so immersed right now."

hahaha, that's fantastic

Psion fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 14, 2015

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Zeron posted:

Fire and Ice Overhaul looks amazing, but the author made the fire spread harmless to NPCs and incredibly harmful to you so it's like anti-fun to actually use in practice. The Ice part is just dumb looking though.

I didn't mean for gameplay purposes, I really just want to light random parts of the Skyrim countryside on fire. Thanks for the warning though - I'll stay out of the fire. Or bring a lot of fire resist enchanted gear.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

i am tim! posted:

Apparently during the design of Skyrim they had meant for it to be a plot point that it had become impossible to recreate the complete emblem in any craft or art, and that the Thalmor were using the phenomenon to discredit the legitimacy of the Mede dynasty. They dropped that on any obvious level, but the broken emblem lived on.

so like ... nobody has pens? because all you gotta do is draw a couple extra squiggles and a box.

I'm glad they dropped that.

alternate version of this joke: So it's confirmed that calipers are required to recreate a complete emblem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm having a spot of trouble with the CNHF body mod. I want the better looking armors, but downloading the armor conversions from the page and installing them does nothing ingame. Is this a Mod Organizer issue?

EDIT, I went looking through the armors in Nifskope and it looks like the mod doesn't change poo poo.

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't they just swap male for female armors? so everyone wears the male version of armor?

I seem to remember this. It'd explain identical nifs, but :confused:

• Locked thread