Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
To get my group into this game I ran a short Halloween themed game focused around a group of kids who lost their candy bags. It was great since they could be more open (no one questions why a girl has fox ears and a tail when everyone else is in costume) but still had to play it under the table (overt magic had to be hidden still). Everyone had a great time and the group loved a change from our normal Orc slaughter campaigns. It was really fun to just run around helping a kid find their Laffy Taffy because it's their favorite candy. I think my favorite part was when the Raccoon Dog had a legit moment of debate between just eating the whole bag of candy she found and handing it over to the kid.

My group never had an issue moving forward, but I did have to sometimes give them a little nudge to remind them of the conflict at hand, but honestly their biggest problem was wanting to do stuff on a tangent to the story, which was totally cool and fun to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

Kestral posted:

If you want a little transhumanist sci-fi to go with your nonviolent cooperation-oriented gaming, check out Freemarket.

Freemarket is basically Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom: The RPG. It's a game about transhumans who got fed up with Earth's bullshit and built themselves a space station where they could create a utopian society. On Freemarket Station the only currency is flow: your reputation for being a cool person who helps make neat stuff that enriches the lives of other people. The station AI guarantees you enough resources to live decently no matter what your flow is like, but the reputation economy means that joining like-minded people to pursue your shared passions can also let you live the good life - assuming you can pull it off and get noticed. Your work-group (a MRCZ, pronounced "mercy") might be trying to build a park, or make the station's best chocolate, or grow a new kind of drug-plant that gives you a controllable feelgood high with no crash or addiction, but everyone else on the station's got a great idea too, and there's only so much to go around. Freemarket sessions mostly consist of scrambling to secure resources, making deals with other MRCZs, and generating enough flow to keep your MRCZ's collective head above water. It's a blast.

Oh, and since everyone is functionally immortal, so the only use violence has is to make someone temporarily forget something and you get caught your flow will tank. Deathing someone is almost never a viable strategy for getting what you want.
This looks really cool but all the links on that site are dead? This review/unboxing makes it look really sweet. I'd like to know more about this game!

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Qwo posted:

This looks really cool but all the links on that site are dead? This review/unboxing makes it look really sweet. I'd like to know more about this game!

I'm really upset, because after reading that review I feel I must own this game.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Gau posted:

I'm really upset, because after reading that review I feel I must own this game.

I'm also upset that it seems you can't get the other RPGs listed on the blog. I'm really interested in that horror RPG, "The Farm".

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
One of these days, I'll finally get around to playing Freemarket. As a game, it's just so...out there...almost like Paranoia with less smoking pairs of boots.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Freemarket sounds like Paranoia's good twin from the mirror universe.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
You can still buy Freemarket (physical or PDF, but mocking up the custom cards on your own might be a hassle) from the Burning Wheel store:

http://www.burningwheel.com/store/index.php/freemarket.html

I have played Freemarket a couple times, but never longer than one session. It is very weird, I may toss out some impressions sometime when I'm not phone posting.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

Parkreiner posted:

You can still buy Freemarket (physical or PDF, but mocking up the custom cards on your own might be a hassle) from the Burning Wheel store:

http://www.burningwheel.com/store/index.php/freemarket.html

I have played Freemarket a couple times, but never longer than one session. It is very weird, I may toss out some impressions sometime when I'm not phone posting.

Awesome. Bought the PDF for now; I want to read it over before I drop a cool $80 on the full game.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Ewen Cluney posted:

What I personally tend to do is set up a relatively simple conflict or wrinkle for the henge to resolve, and just kind of see what happens. One of my sessions will typically have 4 or so scenes and run for 90-120 minutes. A lot of the appeal comes from a willingness to sort of take the slow road and find solutions through heartwarming role-play. Which is not to say that you can't have more pressing problems for your henge to deal with, but I do think you need to be sure to allow time for characters to interact and bond.

I can chime in here a little. I was running nomadotto's game using the Fox Shrine scenario by the book. It took a little too long to get to the problem.

Along those lines, I would probably not run that as a first scenario with a new group. To run it optimally, I feel like you need to telegraph the problem to the players (and maybe wiser henge) before the reveal without coming out and saying it. This feels like more subtlety than I can pull off with new players.

Also no Fish henge next time, they are really hard to incorporate.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Thought you folks would like to know:

Ryuutama Kickstarter (for the translation) is scheduled to begin on Nov. 2 unless something changes. That's what I heard from the folks who are going to run it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Welp, I know what I'm going to spend my next paycheck on.

Would you happen to know any details? Some sneak peeks? Who's doing it? My curiousity's killing me.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Ryuutama is the journeying game, right?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I am seriously looking forward to Ryuutama. I haven't gone big on kickstarters in a few months, so I'll probably flip out and buy some super fancy tier again.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 27, 2013

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Andy Kitkowski's company, Kotodama Heavy Industries, is handling things. If by some chance neither name rings a bell, they are also the ones who released the Tenra Bansho Zero translation and I believe Shinobigami is the one slated after this, but that is only my sense as someone who follows their work a bit. Andy happens to be a goon, but I dunno if he's been around these threads lately.

If you are on G+, there's a community for pretty much all this stuff. And yes, as I understand it, Ryuutama is about going on journeys and being followed by a character the GM gets to play, who chronicles your stories and sometimes manages to help you out.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Also, here's the webpage that got put up for Ryuutama:

http://kotohi.com/ryuutama/

I am only an interested observer/fan, so I just know what I can get out of the folks who make it possible.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gasperkun posted:

Thought you folks would like to know:

Ryuutama Kickstarter (for the translation) is scheduled to begin on Nov. 2 unless something changes. That's what I heard from the folks who are going to run it.

gently caress between GSS and Ryuutama my group is gonna be up to our tits in whimsy.

Gasperkun
Oct 11, 2012
Ryuutama just went up on Kickstarter less than an hour ago! If you were waiting for it, that wait is over.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And it's broken past its goal with 40 days to go.

Yes I will pay fifty dollars for magical Oregon Trail translated from Japanese thank you internet for making this a thing.

Keska
Jan 29, 2007
Persistent Lurker
My group just played a session of Golden Sky Stories, and much adorable fun was had. Some highlights of the session include my character, a bunny, falling into a trash can full of vegetable peelings and when the party finally coaxed her out, the dog stated eating them out of her hair; and when our fox, out of wonder (and out of good ideas), scared off the maid who was about to find the rest of us by running up to her in animal form and shouting, "I'm a talking fox!" (causing her to faint in surprise).

Unfortunately our GM is struggling with the system... he's used to running much more action-driven games. I'd like to take up the reins, but Japanese culture isn't quite my cup of tea. I'm thinking of using Ray Bradbury's "Dandelion Wine" (set in small-town 1928 America) as a basis for the setting. Any tips for adapting the henge for an American setting?

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
About the only thing that's really specifically Japanese in the game per se is the way the raccoon dog and fox henge are written up. If I were to run a GSS game set in America I'd leave those two character types out, and reskin the rabbit henge's Mochi Pounding power to involve chocolates. The rest is pretty minor details, like a Shinto shrine maiden and Buddhist priest being rather unlikely characters, perhaps a few different animals, and maybe omit or reskin the Local Gods.

If you're a backer you might also want to look at the drafts of Faerie Skies and Fantasy Friends (there were download links in some backers-only updates), which offer other settings that could make good alternatives to the default rural Japan and a bunch of new character types.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I got to say that I'm loving the Fantasy Friends alternate setting for GGS. Flipping most trpgs on its head by letting you play the monster is a cool idea. 'Specially since the monsters are nice creatures that just want to help people. I mean the fact that one of the example characters is a friendly beholder who is afraid of adventurers is great.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
GSS is finally hitting doorsteps. A friend and I both got our copies along with the bonus material, and it looks great. Can't wait to play it... well, more, anyway, after the goon game fell off the planet.\

Got a question for Ewen: any idea how long it'll be before the alternate settings will be readily available? Pondering the idea of running it online, but there's the conundrum of having non-backers who can't access the material yet.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Just bought a PDF of freemarket for $5 - at that price, why not?

(It looks great so far)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It hit my doorstep yesterday. Tucked the postcard-sized reference cards in the dust jacket, at least for now.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
I'm really glad to hear people are liking their GSS books! A ton of work and probably more time than it should've taken went into the project.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got a question for Ewen: any idea how long it'll be before the alternate settings will be readily available? Pondering the idea of running it online, but there's the conundrum of having non-backers who can't access the material yet.
It's going to take a while to finish revising, editing, commissioning art, having layout done, etc., and playtesting with feedback is probably the best thing anyone could do to help the process along, so I don't mind if you share Fantasy Friends/Faerie Skies with people at this point, especially if you just give them the writeup for their chosen character type.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

GSS is finally hitting doorsteps. A friend and I both got our copies along with the bonus material, and it looks great. Can't wait to play it... well, more, anyway, after the goon game fell off the planet.\

You're in luck, because my copy came in and now I'm running a forums game.

Hey Ewen, I noticed the distributor's return address was for Level 99 Games. As in the same guys who did Battlecon? Are they getting into the distribution market for other folks, or is this just a thing you worked out with them?

Also, those prints look really snappy. Glad I sprung for 'em.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Desty posted:

You're in luck, because my copy came in and now I'm running a forums game.

Hey Ewen, I noticed the distributor's return address was for Level 99 Games. As in the same guys who did Battlecon? Are they getting into the distribution market for other folks, or is this just a thing you worked out with them?

Also, those prints look really snappy. Glad I sprung for 'em.
Yeah, I got acquainted with Brad from Level 99 Games of BattleCON fame, because he asked me to do a scenario for Power Play, and he happened to be starting up a fulfillment service that worked out well for us. Brad and I are also talking about collaborating on something by the way. :3

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Welp eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive. Though I don't remember filling out a survey for it...hopefully I've just got a garbage memory and didn't screw myself out of my copy.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Welp eagerly awaiting my copy to arrive. Though I don't remember filling out a survey for it...hopefully I've just got a garbage memory and didn't screw myself out of my copy.
I've got a spreadsheet with most of the tracking numbers from the fulfillment service, so feel free to get in touch with me and I can check for you.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I'm reading through the GSS demo and this looks like what I had really hoped to find in Faery's Tale (but didn't). I'm so bummed I missed the kickstarter for this and Ryuutama, and I hope I'll have a chance to get both of them in nice print versions someday. It's really exciting to see games like this blowing past their kickstarter goals by huge amounts.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
I had some problem remembering what connections are "to" or "from". I noticed a number of other people complaining about it too, so I threw up a very very rough revised sheet to make it clearer. The only real difference was converting the squares into arrows. I'd like opinions on it.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Got my copy of GSS a few days back, finally reading through it. Has anyone used Yasoinaba (from Persona 4) as a setting? It seems like...well, not a perfect fit, but sufficiently "small-town", with the built-in advantages of being familiar to players and having the "a not-Wal-Mart moves in" insta-story-hooks.

Also flipping through the old AD&D book Reverse Dungeon to see if there's anything I can mine for Fantasy Friends; not hugely adaptable, but the "monsters forced to live in a dungeon and guard treasure by an evil wizard because, you know, that's what everyone expects an evil wizard to do" idea seems like it'd work.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I recently read an article which suggests doing a three-session campaign when trying a new system. The idea is that it's long enough to get a good feel for the system and some of its progression mechanics, but short and defined enough to not be threatening.

How would you do something like this with GSS? Anyone have advice or guidelines for having three stories which are complete "adventures" (in the childish sense) but which link together?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'd say the easiest way to do that would be 3 short stories, loosely (or tightly if you have a good arc in mind) connected to a central theme or emotion that's a major part of GSS' style.

For example, and this is entirely me pulling an idea out of my rear end spur of the moment, the theme could be 'compassion'. From that you can do, say, a story about a kid being bullied and needing help, a story about someone new in town having trouble fitting in, and a story about friends having a big fight and needing help getting the friendship back. That way the stories all have at least a common thread even if the style of game doesn't really serve a traditional 'campaign' format.

Or if you do it this month and want a tighter connection to the central theme maybe an emotion like 'love', you can go from solving a crush to solving a strained message to something like helping a widow get over the loss of her spouse or something.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Feb 4, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Another way is to have revisiting characters from previous stories, though they don't have to play central roles and even just one suffices for the purpose. While it ended due to real-life circumstances the game I played in with a few others used this to provide a small sense of continuity. (We also did rotating GMs, since GSS's episodic format easily supports this.)

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
Yeah, GSS tends towards "slice of life plus some magic," so a blend of shared themes and recurring characters can help make a series of sessions a little more cohesive. In the manga that the illustrator did, the cat henge girl Kurona is constantly hanging out with three boys from town and generally getting into trouble. A friend of mine wanted to play a fox henge who would take a romantic interest in a mortal, so we slowly developed that over the course of three sessions as an undercurrent with other things going on. I also want to use Mononoke Koyake to do a mini-campaign where the PCs are the inhabitants of the haunted mansion on the edge of town, and I think using a setting with a little bit of a personality of its may be another way to go about that.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Woo! My copy finally came in the mail. I was starting to worry that I may have had my old address on Kickstarter and wouldn't receive it in a timely fashion or not at all. Unfortunately the group I had been playing Tenra Bansho with broke up some months back, otherwise this would've been a great game to give them to further distance them from running DnD ad nauseam. Dungeon World helped too, so I think they'd've been right on for even more fpr a story-propelled and combat-less game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Got some Golden Sky Stories questions, since I ran At the Fox's Spider's Shrine last week at my local table, and will be running GSS for a few weeks more. So!
  • Are there any considerations I should make for a five player group, or should I not worry about it?
  • With NPC Connections, how do NPC connections to players increase? Do I need to rely on players tossing Dreams to me to do so?
  • With threads, do players get threads to all of each other every session for having a Connection, or only if they actively improve their Connection to another PC?
  • And this is one I don't really care about the answer for too much, but I'm curious - does the Bird actually have to pay Wonder to fly, or only in human (with wings) form?

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I actually have a similar question about the Bird. When taking human form, the Bird can choose to display small wings, or wings that look big enough that they could be used to fly. Can the bird fly in either form? Or only in big-wing form?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Got some Golden Sky Stories questions, since I ran At the Fox's Spider's Shrine last week at my local table, and will be running GSS for a few weeks more. So!
  • Are there any considerations I should make for a five player group, or should I not worry about it?
  • With NPC Connections, how do NPC connections to players increase? Do I need to rely on players tossing Dreams to me to do so?
  • With threads, do players get threads to all of each other every session for having a Connection, or only if they actively improve their Connection to another PC?
  • And this is one I don't really care about the answer for too much, but I'm curious - does the Bird actually have to pay Wonder to fly, or only in human (with wings) form?
In the rules as written the game is only meant for a group with 2-4 players. The major concern with having more characters is that the point totals can get out of whack, which can happen even with 4 players, especially if you have 3-4 NPCs. If you don't mind the PCs having lots of points then you don't need to do anything. I've considered stuff like bumping up the cost in Dreams for boosting a connection, or having some players be humans or some such, but haven't had a chance to try it. It's also potentially challenging to make a scenario where 5 PCs all have interesting things to do without it being a bit too long for a GSS story, but not much more so than with 4 players I think.

The Narrator can also receive Dreams, and spends them on increasing NPCs' connections to PCs. My experience is that players tend to not give a lot of Dreams to the Narrator, but at worst that means they don't have quite as many points.

You get threads from all connections, regardless of their strength, even if you left them at the starting amount.

For my part I treat a bird henge's ability to fly as something they can do naturally if they're in an appropriate form, but using the power lets them fly in any form that has wings, and gives them the mechanical benefits of the power. So if your bird wants to fly up to a tree branch in bird form (or say in the +0 human form with huge wings) you can just do it, or at most make an Animal check, but if you want to fly as a human with tiny wings and/or to get that +2 bonus for finding things you need to use the power. The power is specifically not usable if the bird henge is in full human form though, which means it's fine for any other form.

• Locked thread