Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I sent mine via private message on October 28th.

Edit: If it's rejected because you don't want it, that's fine but the low number of responses indicates to me that there's a real possibility that many of them are lost.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Random Stranger posted:

I sent mine via private message on October 28th.

Edit: If it's rejected because you don't want it, that's fine but the low number of responses indicates to me that there's a real possibility that many of them are lost.
It's in. My mistake!

It does appear that many of our would-be authors have let the project fall through the cracks, which is understandable. Life happens. I'll still accept any essays. I'm currently debating what form this project will take from here. I'm considering filling in the gaps myself, but that would take me a very, very long time, so I'd like to get more submissions if people would still like to send 'em in.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Would you consider multiple pieces by authors? Because I was starting to think it's a shame there's no essay for Speed Racer.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I got held up because I just couldn't find an interesting enough angle, but I'll dive back into it.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Now that Lone Ranger is available on-demand, I can watch it and decide whether to make a "Live Action Disney Failure" trifecta, because the title "The 'Pirates' Curse" is too good not to write an essay off of.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Maxwell Lord posted:

Would you consider multiple pieces by authors? Because I was starting to think it's a shame there's no essay for Speed Racer.
Ab. So. Lute. Ly. In fact, my main plan if I don't get more submissions is to write the rest myself, and I really don't want to do that unless I have to.

Vargo posted:

Now that Lone Ranger is available on-demand, I can watch it and decide whether to make a "Live Action Disney Failure" trifecta, because the title "The 'Pirates' Curse" is too good not to write an essay off of.
You gotta do this, because I gotta read it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Obviously this will add more time but I think I can commit to that.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Hey, I can do one for Boxing Helena if you like. Gimme a week or so?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'll actually do mine now. I can't guarantee anything but as long as the window is open for a while, I could still go forth with this.

At this point maybe you should just let it float for a while. I don't think anyone here really thinks this needs to be something that's rushed and the people that already submitted probably could even fo some revisions with the extra time.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
While writing the Rocky and Bullwinkle one, I realized I was kind of bummed that I didn't choose Gone (2012). Maybe I'll write that one up too. I'm moving in the next month, but I'll see what I can put together.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.
It's been a rough time for my family the last couple of months, but I've been chipping away at this thing when I have the time, so if you're still accepting things for a while I'd like to get it polished and submitted :3:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

To answer all of you, if you can get 'em in, I'll accept them!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I've finally crawled out from under the post-holiday "all your regular responsibilities are back and more so" heap to actually get a fresh viewing of Speed Racer in and I'm formally ready to start work on an essay. Screencaps may not be feasible since my MBP has no Blu-Ray functionality, but I'll see if I can scare up any images.

My basic thesis will be something about how the movie's cartoon imagery strips away the familiar baggage of racing and sports to reduce it to a pure state, which goes hand in hand with the plot being about reclaiming the purity of competition from greed and corruption.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, I've finally crawled out from under the post-holiday "all your regular responsibilities are back and more so" heap to actually get a fresh viewing of Speed Racer in and I'm formally ready to start work on an essay. Screencaps may not be feasible since my MBP has no Blu-Ray functionality, but I'll see if I can scare up any images.

My basic thesis will be something about how the movie's cartoon imagery strips away the familiar baggage of racing and sports to reduce it to a pure state, which goes hand in hand with the plot being about reclaiming the purity of competition from greed and corruption.

I like this idea a lot. I absolutely love Speed Racer and am glad to see one of you writers has taken up the mantle of defending it's greatness.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

That guy who was going to do Big Trouble In Little China better get his rear end into gear!

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
This has taken longer than I expected, so sorry about that. I also have to rewatch to get some details right.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

This has taken longer than I expected, so sorry about that. I also have to rewatch to get some details right.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, this is very clearly not happening at this point.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Another successful goon project.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's too bad, I was looking forward to the eventual CineD: The Book: The Movie megathread.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, this is very clearly not happening at this point.

Well dammit. Put a lot of effort into that essay.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Post the drat essay anyway, don't gimmie blueballs here.

We should make this thread a repository for cined goon essays on movies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Mine is scheduled to pop up in about two weeks on my site anyway, I'll just post the link when it does.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Yeah, this project's in limbo at the moment, and I don't really see how I can pull it out of limbo. I take responsibility; it's my fault and I apologize. I didn't anticipate a large number of things changing in my life when I dreamed up the project. I still have all the essays; I don't think there's enough material for a book-length manuscript, but if anyone has any ideas for what I can do with them so all that wonderful work doesn't go to waste, consider me all ears.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

McSpanky posted:

That's too bad, I was looking forward to the eventual CineD: The Book: The Movie megathread.
I don't think there's a huge market for 350 pages written by SMG. :smug:

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I might throw a version of my Ravenous essay in this thread if anyone's interested, it's not great but i did spend a fair amount of time digging into that movie.

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
this is a shame, I would have loved to have seen these essays. If people get the chance, post 'em!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CloseFriend posted:

Yeah, this project's in limbo at the moment, and I don't really see how I can pull it out of limbo. I take responsibility; it's my fault and I apologize. I didn't anticipate a large number of things changing in my life when I dreamed up the project. I still have all the essays; I don't think there's enough material for a book-length manuscript, but if anyone has any ideas for what I can do with them so all that wonderful work doesn't go to waste, consider me all ears.

Add up what you do have, see how much more in the way of material would be needed to get it to book-length, and hand over the project to somebody else if necessary to get another round of submissions to finish it out.

solovyov
Feb 23, 2006

LAWYER FIGHT

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I might throw a version of my Ravenous essay in this thread if anyone's interested, it's not great but i did spend a fair amount of time digging into that movie.

I would like to read your Ravenous essay. It is a great movie.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don't think there's a huge market for 350 pages written by SMG. :smug:
Three pages of SMG, 347 pages of Zizek quotes.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I would also like to read this. Ravenous is a movie I end up watching over and over again because no one's ever seen it, and I'm still not tired of it.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

It's a bummer that the book isn't happening :(
However, in the interest of getting people to see it, here's my slapdash, first-draft-y essay on the merit of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within if anyone is interested.

Even re-reading it, I'm finding a bunch of things I need to fix if I were to refine it, but here it is anyway.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Apr 13, 2014

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Roadie posted:

Add up what you do have, see how much more in the way of material would be needed to get it to book-length, and hand over the project to somebody else if necessary to get another round of submissions to finish it out.
Any takers?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ravenous party over here

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

If you're open for submissions again, I'll do one on the Ben Stiller / Jack Black disaster Envy.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Hewlett posted:

It's a bummer that the book isn't happening :(
However, in the interest of getting people to see it, here's my slapdash, first-draft-y essay on the merit of Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within if anyone is interested.

Even re-reading it, I'm finding a bunch of things I need to fix if I were to refine it, but here it is anyway.

I really enjoyed reading this, thanks. I was one of the many people who ran out and saw it in theatres because I loved playing Final Fantasy as a kid and I still remember having the post-watch talk my sister and both of us trying to pretend like we loved it.

In retrospect I am more and more impressed with the general effort of the film for its time. It never hit me too hard with the uncanny valley stuff, I've always thought it was all pretty goddamn stunning for 2001. You reminded me of all that ecological and pacifist stuff and as a FF nerd I was expecting lots of elaborate fights and magical explosions, but looking back it seemed quite well placed. The themes aren't quite the same, but I'm now finding myself positively comparing it to Avatar as a CGI 'spirits of the planet' thing.

I haven't watched the full film in a while, but the comments on the sound design have re-piqued my interest. I don't really remember anything non-visual from the film. I know some people on these forums hate this criticism without support, but the most palpable memory of the film aside from the visuals and themes is that it was just boring as hell.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
The creators seemed so worried about the CG characters in Spirits Within looking "cartoony" that they dialled their expressions way, way down - with the result that they seemed as stiff and unemotive as Thunderbirds puppets. Ironically, the only time I thought Aki and co really came alive was in some of the gag reel stuff (like the Thriller spoof), where the animators cranked their expressions up far beyond anything in the film itself.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

CloseFriend posted:

Any takers?

Ah hell, why not. I'll take on the job and see what can be done with it. (As long as everyone is happy with that anyway.)

Pass the essays along to me and I see if I can recruit a few more.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Payndz posted:

The creators seemed so worried about the CG characters in Spirits Within looking "cartoony" that they dialled their expressions way, way down - with the result that they seemed as stiff and unemotive as Thunderbirds puppets. Ironically, the only time I thought Aki and co really came alive was in some of the gag reel stuff (like the Thriller spoof), where the animators cranked their expressions up far beyond anything in the film itself.

Yes, to be fair, the film still suffers from being a bit ponderous and self-serious, but for me that added in a weird way to the film's ambitions - it wanted to be just as boring as a live-action space opera! Also, in the most recent viewings of it I actually thought the film had a nicely wry sense of humor, as long as you're willing to just run with the rest of the Deep Eyes being the Aliens-ripoff comic relief Marines. I love the scene where they literally all conspire to sabotage a space elevator so that Aki and Grey can have a romantic moment.

"That's amore, baby."

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Did anyone ever do a Robocop essay for this or one of the contest threads? I'm curious how to explain how Murphy was invulnerable as Robocop in the first few battles he was in, but the ED breaks that invulnerability, then the police (corrupted by capitalism) further injure him. There must be a thematic reason.

Maybe it's connected to Directive 4? Since the ED attack is right after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Alan_Shore posted:

That guy who was going to do Big Trouble In Little China better get his rear end into gear!

A couple years ago I decided to take my "film history 100B" class over the summer, and we actually watched Big Trouble in Little China, so I wasn't going to miss a chance to write about it, but it was(I compared it to North by Northwest), and my original angle was going to be "why did one succeed and why did one fail" which was complicated by the fact that BTiLC was a success on the home market. While writing it became clear that it was going to be a major research project to write such an essay, because the causes were less based on film quality and content and more based on the differences in the way that Hollywood marketed films, so I backed off since it was only supposed to be a 3 1/2 page essay that was our only paper for the class that was only assigned to us because the professor suddenly remembered there was a writing requirement for the class and I only had one day to do it on a night I worked, so I opted for the easy route and just compared and contrasted.

But basically BTiLC got jobbed because it was a really difficult movie to explain to the theater audience at the time because it was so different from what was being released, and it thumbed its nose at most of the Hollywood tropes at the time, and referenced back to movies that even a cinema-going audience would have challenges being familiar with prior to the VHS age. Said VHS age opened up a lot of doors because audiences have always been more adventurous/experimental when it comes to rentals, and word of mouth buzz was more influential, and repeated viewings were more realistic, as was gaining some familiarity with the material behind BTiLC. So the film was a massive success in VHS because it didn't need Hollywood at that point.

• Locked thread