Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Jay Dub posted:

turning Capra's idealism on its ear to present a world that is darkly cynical toward big business.

... have you ever watched a Frank Capra movie? I love Hudsucker Proxy, but it fits right in the Capra Mr. Deeds mold without any necessary ear turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Here's another a good list if you're still looking for ideas.

I'm going to call dibs on The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle. I'll write a proposal for it later.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Just FYI, the OP said we're only doing movies after 1980. I think the idea is to concentrate it to the 'blockbuster' era.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

WeaponX posted:

Going to throw down my choice Monkeybone, now. I'll update with a pitch soon.

I was really hoping someone would do Monkeybone, even if I think it's a massive pile. But it's an interesting massive pile, like the triceratops poop in Jurassic Park or something. Anyway...

Pitch: The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000)
Budget: $76,000,000
Gross: $35,000,000

Rocky and Bullwinkle had an uphill battle to climb. Though their cartoon show was a syndicated success for nearly forty years, by the end of the 90s, it seemed like pretty much old news. Executive producer and star Robert DeNiro had already descended into self parody with Analyze This the year before and many people were dissatisfied to see him 'embarrass' himself in an adaptation of an cartoon. Worse, this film followed closely two other Jay Ward cartoon adaptations, George of the Jungle and Dudley Dooright, with the former making three times its budget and the latter making one seventh of its. (Dudley Dooright would be ripe for an essay in this book, if someone could sit through it without ripping out their eyeballs.) The big dividing line on the film, though, was the combination of live action and CGI characters. A risky and expensive step that had had mixed success, many people felt that this robbed the film of the show's low budget animation charm.

While the film takes the standard 'be yourself' plot line that so many insipid (not intrepid) children's cartoons preach, The Adventures of Rocky Bullwinkle goes further than laying out platitudes. The cities that the trio of protagonists travel to look the same, the forest is gone, smog and pollution has wrecked the country, and the plot concerns the dangers of every person in the country becoming zombified by television-- which, the film notes, is totally different from how the world is right now. In a post-Cold War world, the film is about America looking within and trying to rediscover its youthful optimism, even as decades of greed and complacency has warped the country to the bone. The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle is about personal rediscovery, the dangers of unfettered selfishness, and, of course, lots of incredibly silly wordplay.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

axleblaze posted:

Eh, Reeves hit it big with Speed he kind of made a bunch of movies that just didn't take off and he seemed like he was doomed to fade until The Matrix came around. I mean Devil's Advocate did well, but it was also the most notable movie he made between Speed and The Matrix and it wasn't exactly a movie that said "this man is a star that should be opening movies".

I remember when critics said that Keanu was torpedoing his career for not agreeing to be in Speed 2. This was before Speed 2 came out, of course.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
I'll have it to you early next week. That's what I get for trying to do five things at once.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Sent mine in. How many have you gotten, CloseFriend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
While writing the Rocky and Bullwinkle one, I realized I was kind of bummed that I didn't choose Gone (2012). Maybe I'll write that one up too. I'm moving in the next month, but I'll see what I can put together.

• Locked thread