Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Hewlett posted:

My Pitch: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)

Production Budget: $137 million
Total Domestic Gross: $32 million (Worldwide $85 million)

If The Spirits Within didn't have Final Fantasy in front of its title, I fully believe it would have been more positively received than it was in its 2001 premiere (which bankrupted the studio that made it, being their debut film). A slightly-derivative but completely gorgeous space opera, the film features a wonderfully realized future setting, ahead-of-its-time production design, a dynamically Gothic score by Elliot Goldenthal, and so much more. The film's environmentalist message (with hints of Eastern philosophy) is unconventional for a film of this genre, and its solid cast does a surprising amount with their stock characters. (Not many adolescent sci-fi actioners feature an antagonist moments away from killing himself in disgrace.) All of this results in an interestingly flawed film that does just enough right and different to justify a second look.

This blurb alone makes me want to check it out. I remember seeing it in theaters as a kid and really enjoying it, despite never playing a Final Fantasy game in my life.

I've been looking to dust off my writing skills as of late; I'll try to submit something to this project if I can find the time. Not making any commitments right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread