Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

spaceships posted:

All this and much more is in this movie. There are also things that aren't in this movie, but I think that can be said of a lot of movies, so we shouldn't hold that against this one. It opened to a spectacular $2,723,211 on 1,092 screens, and has grossed roughly $11,100,000 to this day. Victory!

No one understood this movie very well. I'd like to tell you why.

This movie was like the first time I realized my older sister and I could like the same things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

pancaek posted:

I'd love to write an ode to Death to Smoochy (2002)-

Budget: $15m
Domestic/Int'l Gross: $8.3m

My questions are: How could a movie with such an amazing, star-studded cast (Robin Williams, Edward Norton, Danny DeVito) fail so badly? Was this just a film made for industry types? Was the world just not ready for such a dark comedy, only six months after 9/11? Over a decade after its flop, I'd like to take a look at what the world was like during the aftermath of 9/11, and determine why audiences who couldn't stomach the black absurdity of Smoochy can, today, eat up dark comedy like It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

The comparison is funny because Danny DeVito is a big part of both.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skwirl posted:

The ones I really want to see are Constantine and Josie and the Pussycats.

I liked both movies so I'll probably end up agreeing through the whole thing.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Alhazred posted:

My favorite part is to watch the entirety of the cast act circles around Keanu Reeves.

This is never true. You will never find a finer actor than Keanu Reeves :colbert:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm glad someone is doing Looney Toons Back in Action, it has one of my favorite casting gags in a movie.

Also wasn't Death To Smoochy during the time when Robin Williams was doing all those dark movies?

Yeah he did One Hour Photo, then Smoochy, then Insomnia and a few others. He ended the run with RV, proving he should have stuck to the dark films.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skwirl posted:

I'm quoting from memory of a review I vaguely recall, but the great thing about Keanu Reeves is that he is so incredibly bland that in Sci-Fi/Fantasy movies, where all these incredible, unbelievable things are happening, his blandness acts as a grounding force. All the hullabaloo surrounding the Son of Satan and the Spear of Destiny in Constantine is instantly more believable, because Keanu Reeves is so perfectly ordinary.

Pretty much. He's an empty vessel, like a JRPG character. When Keanu acts it's easier to see yourself in the same position. It makes it easier to experience than casting someone charismatic or unique. That's why people who hate Reeves will still hear how they were gonna cast Will Smith as Neo and go, "Oh god that would suck" because they know it'd just turn into a Will Smith movie instead of being "The Matrix".

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Random Stranger posted:

The advantage of Reeves in The Matrix is that he had zero star power at the time

Are you kidding? Speed was a huge hit in 94. Devil's Advocate was a talked about movie only two years prior to Matrix. We're not talking about casting Brandon Routh here (or Hugh Jackman for the first X-Men).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

axleblaze posted:

Eh, Reeves hit it big with Speed he kind of made a bunch of movies that just didn't take off and he seemed like he was doomed to fade until The Matrix came around. I mean Devil's Advocate did well, but it was also the most notable movie he made between Speed and The Matrix and it wasn't exactly a movie that said "this man is a star that should be opening movies".

He had some stumbles but it wasn't like he had zero star power. People knew who he was when casted as Neo for the Matrix. I'm fine with, "Not A List" if that's what Random Stranger really meant. Keanu had been around for a long time by then and was still relevant making movies. He wasn't Mickey Rourke on a comeback.

• Locked thread