Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hm, it looks like Ravenous qualifies under those box office terms and I've been meaning to rewatch that one lately. Lest I have to fight Vargo on writing up John Carter (unless, Vargo, you wanna do an Ebert and Ebert thing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The world really does need more written about Abel Ferrara's Body Snatchers.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Alright, here's my hastily written formal pitch for Ravenous

The Unpalatable Nature of Ravenous; or, why some films are just impossible to market.

Budget: $12 Million (estimated)
Box Office: $2,062,405

Ravenous is a Civil War Era black-comedy-slash-horror film featuring a bunch of grime-covered character actors in a plot centering around that most taboo of activities, cannibalism. That it would not be a blockbuster commercial success was pretty much preordained, but that it should make back less than one-fifth of its budget is a rather stunning failure. Even in the internet era, and with the built-in cult home video market of the horror genre, it has remained willfully obscure to all but a certain subset of the most ardently nerdy cinephiles. For one of the most bizarrely idiosyncratic horror movies of the past twenty-odd years (certainly one of the best horror movies of the '90s, a decade not kind to horror), this is an unfair fate.

Not, as I said, that it was an unpredictable one. Having cycled through three directors after filming had already started, being dumped in the wastelands of March releases, and suffering from a limp marketing campaign completely at a loss as to how to pitch this movie to a post-Scream audience did nothing to help this movie find its feet. And on top of all that, the tone of this movie is very audience-unfriendly, featuring a mumbling weakling of a protagonist, some hearty criticism of the American pioneer image, and violence that is grisly and outre without being at all 'cool.' But in spite of its tortured production and poor reception by critics and audiences alike, Ravenous is the most wonderful kind of cult film, dangerous and bleakly humorous, and above all totally one-of-a-kind. Herein, I'll seek to examine how the film that could've made Antonia Bird the next Danny Boyle instead left her a footnote in the annals of cinema.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I was considering doing Life Less Ordinary but I think I'm gonna have to focus on just doing Ravenous. It's definitely a neat, underrated film though.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hey, CloseFriend! Is there a standardized way you would like our essays to format film titles? I generally use italics but for you, I can change.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

So I'll probably not have time to get my own submissions done before the bell, so I'm passing that savings onto you: the new due date is November 1. Enjoy!

Thanks! I've already done a close rewatch and took a ton of notes and screenshots but I only just started doing the actual writing today. This gives me more time to polish it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just hit the 1000 word mark and man, I am having a boatload of fun writing this. It's making me want to attempt blogging again, though I have a very spotty history with that.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

General survey-ish question: About how long are people's essays turning out? I finished a first draft today of about 2000 words, which feels kinda long-winded to me despite being 2/3 of the word limit (and despite feeling like I could easily write more about this movie). Where are other people at?

(PS CloseFriend - Did you get my email?)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

To remind you, your essays are due tomorrow!!!

But don't panic. That due date has no teeth whatsoever. If you're late, I'll understand. Just get them to me "soon-ish."

I've got my draft finished, but I'm gonna do a quick polish on it and try and get it to you by the end of the day, if that's cool.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Finished and sent! Hopefully .doc or .odt aren't a problem, I included versions in both format.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

This has taken longer than I expected, so sorry about that. I also have to rewatch to get some details right.

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it, this is very clearly not happening at this point.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I might throw a version of my Ravenous essay in this thread if anyone's interested, it's not great but i did spend a fair amount of time digging into that movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ravenous party over here

• Locked thread