Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Desert Heat? I thought it was Dessert Heat. No wonder it tastes so bad.

You MIGHT want to offer more time for writing the essays. I say this only because of my experience from running the Subtext Game.

Also, You can count me tentatively in. I should be all moved into Chicago by the 15th with a fair bit of free time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

penismightier posted:

I hope someone does Soldier. I love Soldier.

I was actually just mentioning Soldier to Hewlett the other day. So, that narrows it down to Soldier or Strange Days for me.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

axleblaze posted:

I'll narrow it down for you by making mine official

Alright, I will do Soldier. I will have a formal proposal sometime soon.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

Short pitch because I lack real internet and I am on my phone.

Soldier

Soldier is one of the greatest action movies that people overlooked in the 90s. It manages to meld a nearly completely silent character into the someone who the audience feels sorry for because of his attempt to grasp at learning humanity. He functions in the same way as Robocop, but instead of having the lose of his humanity happen later in life he is indoctrinated into the thought process of being nothing but a killing machine directly from conception. It is a shame that people nowadays put Drive on such a pedestal while ignoring Soldier even though they are so similar in their execution and themes. On top of that it has Kurt Russell in prime form and is in the same universe as Blade Runner, so how cool is that?

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I was just reminded last night that there are only two weeks left. So, I am passing that knowledge onto the rest of you.

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

So, I have watched Soldier three times in the past three days. There is so much to write about I know I am not going to do it justice. Comparisons to Robocop and the directing style of Paul Verhoeven, themes of rebirth, humanity, and the dehumanization of soldiers, a commentary on Vietnam and other modern wars, themes of playing god with the addition of themes of Cain and Abel, and also the amazing set design. Also, Kurt Russell and Gary Busey nail it.

gently caress...

Fat Lou fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Lou
Jan 21, 2008

I will have mine in within a day or two. I got distracted with the job search even though I have four pages of time stamped notes from like two weeks ago.

• Locked thread