Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I might try to do a two-fer, where I look at Disney's attempts at a post-Pirates live-action franchise, looking at Prince of Persia and John Carter. Unfortunately, it's probably too late for me to catch The Lone Ranger.

I am also considering re-visiting Green Lantern as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

CloseFriend posted:

I knew someone would ask this, and I spent some time thinking about a response, to no avail. In this case, I'd call the point moot, since Sunshine didn't clear its budget anywhere. If someone comes up with a film that didn't make back its budget in its home country but did in America… I'll talk to my colleagues and we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

Also, I've decided to add The Quest to my workload. In adapting the Street Fighter franchise, it feels like Van Damme split the material in two: the Street Fighter film inherited the characters and The Quest took its plot. Watching it "straight" will leave the viewer disappointed and annoyed, but trying consciously to appreciate it as a successor to Master of the Flying Guillotine or the Shaw Bros.' oeuvre (most prominently Prodigal Son) as well as a hilariously silly failure will at least mean 90 minutes of good, solid fun.

What about movies that did the opposite? Didn't do well in America but made bank overseas?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Random Stranger posted:

I said to myself, this sounds kind of like fun and it might be interesting to do Heaven's Gate. And then I realized that the only logical entry point into writing that essay would be to get into the studio cut versus the director's cut and that's would just be painful. Just because it's not as bad as its reputation doesn't mean that it's actually a good movie and a three and a half hour version of a bland movie would make me want to shoot myself. But perhaps some brave essay writer out there will prove me wrong.

Maybe I'll work up a more cheerful pitch about Jonah Hex. Some comic book nerd rantings about how "they" screwed everything up would be far more entertaining. From Hell or Constantine (which I could easily do a long discussion on what's wrong with the theology that's central to the movie's plot and why it has a dangerous psychological message as a result) would work for that too, though they fall in the "probably didn't make money for the studio" range where the worldwide gross made a bit more than production budget.

A comparison of Jonah Hex to Wild Wild West would be really interesting. I figure Jonah Hex is like what would happen if no one on the set of Wild Wild West was having any fun at all.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

nocal posted:

Mars Needs Moms is supposedly so politically regressive that like every mainstream critic called it out, and that's saying something. Perhaps it's been done to death, but it should be easy enough to tear it apart.

Cutthroat Island sunk a studio (Carolco) that released some huge hits. Subtext-wise, it's a swashbuckling movie with a female hero that flopped.

The Alamo was "written and directed by a Texan," and maybe somebody can squeeze out a few hundred words about killing your darlings.

I was thinking I'd at least watch Pluto Nash, having never seen it, but I just read the synopsis on wikipedia and it's beyond incoherent.

The thing is, no mainstream critic called out Mars Needs Moms. I think maybe a few mentioned the sexism in its title briefly, but if you Google "Mars Needs Moms gay", it's literally just me and people quoting me. I've had to subject other people to that movie just to tell me I'm not nuts.

But the other problem with that suggestion is that in addition to the horrible politics, it's also boring, annoying, stupid, and gently caress-ugly. Honestly, I'd like to see someone try to take that film on and produce an essay that portrays it as having a shred of worth. (This person tries.)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Tharizdun posted:

I'm drawing a blank. Are you talking about Brendan Fraser being such a looney tunes mark that he begged Joe Dante to do Taz's voice?

He's gotta be talking about the Matthew Lillard joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Now that Lone Ranger is available on-demand, I can watch it and decide whether to make a "Live Action Disney Failure" trifecta, because the title "The 'Pirates' Curse" is too good not to write an essay off of.

• Locked thread