Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Rather than Iron Giant, which is almost too easy, I invoke

Treasure Planet

Budget- $140 million
Box Office- $109 million

Treasure Planet was planned as more of a gift for its creators than its eventual (and rather poorly-defined) audience. It's a re-imagining of a classic story, a rare Disney animated sci-fi, a first in a number of animation techniques, and an exploration of something rather different. Some dorks, teens at the time, have retained their love for it; others discovered it later as it was one of the Disney films released relatively quickly and at relatively modest prices. Was the film wrong, or the timing? The marketing? The very way it was produced, as a "treat" for animators who should have known better?

If you know the plot of Treasure Island, you know the plot of Treasure Planet. Its story is something else entirely.

Pick fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Sep 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Also if anyone were to take that from me I would stab everyone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's not really a fair contender either because LAIKA Studios isn't under the same financial pressure of other studios since the CEO is a billionaire's son who mostly gets to do what he wants. In a good way, they make the best films (on the planet Earth).

They've discussed how they could have made the film more marketable; they literally chose not to. It's more like a super high-budget art piece than a film in the traditional Hollywood financial sense.

• Locked thread