Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I said to myself, this sounds kind of like fun and it might be interesting to do Heaven's Gate. And then I realized that the only logical entry point into writing that essay would be to get into the studio cut versus the director's cut and that's would just be painful. Just because it's not as bad as its reputation doesn't mean that it's actually a good movie and a three and a half hour version of a bland movie would make me want to shoot myself. But perhaps some brave essay writer out there will prove me wrong.

Maybe I'll work up a more cheerful pitch about Jonah Hex. Some comic book nerd rantings about how "they" screwed everything up would be far more entertaining. From Hell or Constantine (which I could easily do a long discussion on what's wrong with the theology that's central to the movie's plot and why it has a dangerous psychological message as a result) would work for that too, though they fall in the "probably didn't make money for the studio" range where the worldwide gross made a bit more than production budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Looking things over, I thought this is the one I could get the most out of (and it barely fits the guidelines):

Constantine
Budget: $100 million
Domestic Gross: $76 million

While Constantine follows in the footsteps of other pseudo-religious thrillers in blending Protestant millennialism with Catholic ceremony, the film strikes out on its own with two theological points that are troubling in context. The most important of these is that because suicide is a "mortal sin", Constantine is condemned to hell when he dies for a suicide attempt when he was a teenager. While this drives the movie, it also sends a negative message to people who may be in need of help that watch the film. People who attempt suicide are likely to make additional attempts and the film tells them, contrary to any Christian denomination's teachings, that just for trying to commit suicide that God has turned against them and there is no hope for them except through the most extraordinary of interventions.

On top of that, Constantine attempts to split the hair of "faith" and "knowledge" while failing to recognize that for those with faith in a religion there is no effective difference. In the world of the film where supernatural intervention is a regular occurrence and people can be born with the ability to recognize angels and demons, this dividing line means that an unlucky person can find themselves condemned to hell just for learning too much.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Sep 15, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CloseFriend posted:

So I'll probably not have time to get my own submissions done before the bell, so I'm passing that savings onto you: the new due date is November 1. Enjoy!

Wonderful. I've actually done my first draft but this gives me time to let it stew properly.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Pretty much. He's an empty vessel, like a JRPG character. When Keanu acts it's easier to see yourself in the same position. It makes it easier to experience than casting someone charismatic or unique. That's why people who hate Reeves will still hear how they were gonna cast Will Smith as Neo and go, "Oh god that would suck" because they know it'd just turn into a Will Smith movie instead of being "The Matrix".

The advantage of Reeves in The Matrix is that he had zero star power at the time and the movie needed a cast that could be forced to put up with the training regiment and be unable to push for major script or direction changes. Look at all the psuedo-Matrix movies that followed it; besides being the photocopy of a photocopy of Honk Kong style action, the action scenes are all chaotic jumbles partially because the stars can't handle doing action more complicated than two seconds long (and of course they can't just have the stuntmen do the entire scene for them).

Also, I've heard that the on again, off again talks for a Hellblazer series are currently on again (with the title Hellblazer to avoid the connection to the film). As with any nerd project, though, I'd hold off until they're actually shooting before getting excited about it.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

General survey-ish question: About how long are people's essays turning out? I finished a first draft today of about 2000 words, which feels kinda long-winded to me despite being 2/3 of the word limit (and despite feeling like I could easily write more about this movie). Where are other people at?

Mine will wind up at about 1700 words and I feel it's a bit long winded, but then I have a simple, direct point that I need to explain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I sent mine via private message on October 28th.

Edit: If it's rejected because you don't want it, that's fine but the low number of responses indicates to me that there's a real possibility that many of them are lost.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 16, 2013

• Locked thread