Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Fat Lou posted:

You MIGHT want to offer more time for writing the essays. I say this only because of my experience from running the Subtext Game.

Also, You can count me tentatively in. I should be all moved into Chicago by the 15th with a fair bit of free time.

Yeah, school's just starting up again too which severely cuts into my time even if it is just 800-3000 words. I'm also in tentatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's also worth mentioning that it was their follow-up to the Palme d'or winning Barton Fink, another film about a character who feels he can change the world with his art but finds that the industry will only strangle him.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Alright, if nobody else is going to do it, I'd like to tackle Battleship. While it's been discussed repetitively in CineD, I'm sure most other people, film buffs included, still view it as a dumb blockbuster based on a board game. There seemed to be a lot of misconceptions about Battleship before it even got to theaters. Many people I've talked to mistakenly thought it was a Michael Bay film, despite him having absolutely nothing to do with the film. What do these misconceptions say about the almost homogenized style of many modern mainstream action-adventure films? Then of course there is the "based off of a board game" angle that turned many people off.

But I'd also like to use Battleship as a jumping point for how action films can still make poignant statements while fitting into the "summer movie" mold. Battleship tactfully handles the subject of xenophobia in a discreet yet powerful manner, subverting the idea of evil aliens that is often purported by classic alien invasion films. By treating it's alien "bad guys" with respect it manages to reveal the dangerous way Americans view outsiders and satirize it.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Egbert Souse posted:

I'd like to contribute one...

Hugo (2011, Martin Scorsese)

Production Budget: $170 million
Domestic Gross: $73 million

This is the sort of film that's going to become a classic in the future, but underappreciated at the time. While part of the underperforming is due to the large budget, Paramount made the stupid decision to release it the same weekend as Breaking Dawn Part 1. It also had a weak marketing campaign. Hugo barely broke even after worldwide gross. I don't think it's failure as the large budget shows in every shot.

Man, it seems weird to me that Hugo lost so much money. It seemed like it was in theaters for four months at least.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I'm considering maybe switching gears to do Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

So my schedule this semester is pretty tightly packed. I'm not sure if I'll be able to do this. Sorry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Nothing will ever top Keanu dropping a steaming pile on the 1993 adaptation of Much Ado About Nothing. The movie is completely fantastic except for Keanu.

Coppola's Dracula has other issues but Keanu is probably the worst thing about that film too, living up to every "watching Keanu Reeves is like watching a block of wood" cliche.

• Locked thread