Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

It's not enough to listen, it's not enough to see
When the hurricane is coming on, it's not enough to flee
I'll put a formal pitch together later this week, but I'd like to write about Dragonslayer. Budget: $18M/Box Office: $14M.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

Dragonslayer

Budget: $18,000,000
Box Office: $14,110,113

This is a film with an interesting reputation--it's developed something of a cult following on home video largely because of the excellence of the effects and its commitment to the realization of its setting, but it's still rarely brought up as anything other than a "guilty pleasure" sort of escapist fantasy starring some young actors a bit out of their depth and a few veteran Shakespeareans slumming it. At the time of its release it got something of a reputation as a Star Wars rip-off (I still don't really see it, except that the male lead looks a bit like Mark Hamill), and audiences were shocked by levels of violence and gore that were then completely unexpected in a Disney production. Peter MacNicol, the aforementioned Hamill-esque lead, is reportedly so embarrassed by the film that he leaves it off his CV to this day.

The effects are indeed excellent, and the film deserves every bit of praise it's gotten in that respect. But the thing that's kept me coming back to it as an adult is the way it takes a very old type of story--the young hero does battle with the dragon to rescue the princess--and uses it to make statements on class, revolution, the nature of social hierarchy, and the way capitalism systematically oppresses those living under it. The dragon comes to symbolically represent several different concepts, from the system of capitalism itself to the type of shadowy (and often hypothetical) threat that serves to scare people into accepting a political agenda. The film examines these ideas from many different angles, demonstrating the ways that religion, nostalgia for "the good old days," and desire for security can appeal to oppressed people while simultaneously rendering them ineffective resisters, ultimately concluding that the only way to truly escape oppression is to take on the powers that produced it and make a new life outside of the old familiar constructs.

Plus the effects are really baller, guys.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

Oh thank God. Today, you truly are my...Close Friend.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

I should have mine in by Wednesday. Thursday at the latest.

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

Aaaaaalmost done. Just need to give it the once-over and I'll send it out after work tomorrow. Please please let me still submit this, I've worked too drat much and had way too much fun for this baby to never see the light of day.

EDIT: Edits taking longer than I thought and I'm straight-up exhausted after work, will definitely have it out tomorrow (Friday).

PateraOctopus fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PateraOctopus
Oct 27, 2010

Okay, email sent to the turbandecay address, CloseFriend. Really had a blast with this project; thanks for being so understanding with the deadline.

• Locked thread